PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine if Felger was the GM....

There's always a market for contrarianism in the public realm. Just say whatever the powers that be are doing is wrong. The power structure is supposed to be always right after all, but that's impossible so you are bound to have a few things go your way. People will think you are insightful and brave for taking them on, will forget when you were wrong and remember when you were right. Lots of people have grievances against the power structure, they will be natural allies for you. Lean into it, the more extreme you are the more allied they will feel.

After listening to Felger's animated rants today on 98.5 The Sports Hub today, I kept trying to imagine what the Patriots would be like with Felger as the GM. :oops: I guess the first problem is that he would wipe out the Cap space for the next 5 years or so and trade away all the draft picks for the foreseeable future. All so he could get some marquee QB, actually he would get 3-4 marquee QBs (good competition in camp, right?), some prima-donna, big name WRs and to heck with the other positions. LT? Naw, overrated. Center? Naw, why bother, etc.

Of course, in a year or two, the Patriots would have record setting dead money, for the next decade or so and would finish last in the NFL, get the first pick of the draft year after year, but it would not help since Felger traded away his first picks for the next 10 years.
Those guys are like kids... Get every name you know, then don't worry about paying for it because cap is crap :rolleyes:

Felger's schtick is mind numbing at times, and if folks don't realize it is all an act to stir schitt up and to generate ratings - happy, content sports fans don't call in and listen. People should realize it is not these guys' job to be a fan; their job is to get listeners. Mazz has gotten worse lately. If anyone has listened recently, it really seems that Mazz and the abject loser Jim Murray are openly rooting for the Pats to finish in last place this season in the division.
I don't think they're thinking this through. If the Pats finish in last (a real possibility), miss the playoffs again, schittcan the duplicitous pond scum coach (thanks Kevin Mannix), then the Patriots will sail off to irrelevancy just like the pre Bill Parcells post Flutie years. When the Pats are fluttering around 4 - 6 wins, struggling to fill the stadium, after they get rid of Belichick in a year or two with a new rookie quarterback or some Tannehill or Mariota retread, Felger will rue wishing for the team to suck and blow....because his listeners will be be changing the station.

Felger's schtick is mind numbing at times, and if folks don't realize it is all an act to stir schitt up and to generate ratings - happy, content sports fans don't call in and listen. People should realize it is not these guys' job to be a fan; their job is to get listeners. Mazz has gotten worse lately. If anyone has listened recently, it really seems that Mazz and the abject loser Jim Murray are openly rooting for the Pats to finish in last place this season in the division.
I don't think they're thinking this through. If the Pats finish in last (a real possibility), miss the playoffs again, schittcan the duplicitous pond scum coach (thanks Kevin Mannix), then the Patriots will sail off to irrelevancy just like the pre Bill Parcells post Flutie years. When the Pats are fluttering around 4 - 6 wins, struggling to fill the stadium, after they get rid of Belichick in a year or two with a new rookie quarterback or some Tannehill or Mariota retread, Felger will rue wishing for the team to suck and blow....because his listeners will be be changing the station.
Murray is such a clown. He stopped being a Pats fan just because Brady left. Mazz has been extra negative lately, especially towards the Sox because they didn’t ask him back in the booth.

I just can't listen to that station, don't like Felger and Mazz is just over the top annoying. The other station I guess is trying to copy them with some new guy that is a bigger idiot than Felger so no more sports radio for me, too bad back in the day I use to listen every day.
I will sometimes put on a sports talk station but almost always turn it off after listening for a very short time, sometimes for only seconds.

sports radio has been a huge detriment to the Patriots fan base. Guys like Felger say things to kill long portions of time they are on air and illicit a reaction. No one should ever think a sports radio host would be a good gm. Good GMs need to be patient and smart, good sports radio hosts need to fill air time completely different skill set.
I have been saying this forever, their goal to to create nontroversies and controversies. The whole crew Bertram, Jones, Felger, Mazz and the rest. They know this drives ratings. If anyone expects reliable info from any of these dudes, might want to reconsider their source.
Unfortunately, the person closest to and knows the Pats best, Zolak, often leaves the room or is silent on many of these issues... if he wanted to he could be a stabilizing voice, but he chooses not to.
I listen less than ever, I always seem to catch Bertram.. he drives me out of my freaking mind with his daily diatribe, he chooses and is allowed to be the loudest voice in the room...
Sometimes I run into other Pats fan who spout ridiculous thoughts & rumors, I say where did you hear that Sports Talk Radio? Then there are "crickets"..
But I do like Toucher and Rich, they often make me laugh..

I will sometimes put on a sports talk station but almost always turn it off after listening for a very short time, sometimes for only seconds.
Same. I do it with cable news, too., though rarely (for both).
I'm fascinated by this sado-masochistic cultural phenomenon (studied McLuhan extensively in college way back in the day), when people who absolutely hate something tune it for hours to the place that will feed that anger.

I'd like to imagine a world without a Felger thread.
R3eY8d6.jpg

I have been saying this forever, their goal to to create nontroversies and controversies. The whole crew Bertram, Jones, Felger, Mazz and the rest. They know this drives ratings. If anyone expects reliable info from any of these dudes, might want to reconsider their source.
Unfortunately, the person closest to and knows the Pats best, Zolak, often leaves the room or is silent on many of these issues... if he wanted to he could be a stabilizing voice, but he chooses not to.
I listen less than ever, I always seem to catch Bertram.. he drives me out of my freaking mind with his daily diatribe, he chooses and is allowed to be the loudest voice in the room...
Sometimes I run into other Pats fan who spout ridiculous thoughts & rumors, I say where did you hear that Sports Talk Radio? Then there are "crickets"..
But I do like Toucher and Rich, they often make me laugh..
Completely agree. If you want hyperbole, hot takes and manufactured controversies then listen to sports talk radio. If you want to listen to something that gives you good information about the Patriots podcasts are the way to go!

It's funny that you mentioned toucher and rich. I remember them being the morning hosts for a local rock radio station so it's always funny to me that they switched to sports.

I'd like to imagine a world without a Felger thread.
That time of year.
If you want hyperbole, hot takes and manufactured controversies then listen to sports talk radio. If you want to listen to something that gives you good information about the Patriots podcasts are the way to go!
True. And the fake laughter makes me think it’s Nicklelodian for middle aged white guys.

It is easy to look really smart on TV/radio when you can say anything you want, criticize anything you want, and no one knows (or remembers) what the consequences of your statements would have been.

For example, Jeff Saturday spent most of September and October criticizing the coaching in the NFL. It is easy to Monday Morning Quarterback. Then when it came time to show what he really could do, he was an abysmal failure.

Another example which comes to mind is Matt Millen. He sure had all the right answers when he was on TV, didn't he? Then his own stint as a GM was somewhat less successful.

Last edited:
I can never forgive Felger for driving Randy Moss out of town....maybe I am reaching here, but Felger hated Moss and ragged on him constantly. Did this contribute to his exit? Not sure, but it seemed that way. I suspect that the real fans did not feel that way. I thought Moss was great....oh how we could use such a player now, but it does not seem to be possible given BB's blind spot for drafting WRs and his seeming reluctance to get a FA.
The only jersey I own is Randy Moss # 81.

Felger is entertaining because I enjoy hating him. In that way he is sort of like Howard Cosell. I don't know any of you young pups know about Cosell, but he was a boxing commentator who was one of the original crew on Monday Night Football back when it was entertaining. Cosell was so rude to his co-host Don Meridith and so ill-informed about football and so generally obnoxious that it made for great theater.

Cosell said of himself, "I've been called arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. And, of course, I am." He was one of the classcis, along with Johnny Most.

Felger is entertaining because I enjoy hating him. In that way he is sort of like Howard Cosell. I don't know any of you young pups know about Cosell, but he was a boxing commentator who was one of the original crew on Monday Night Football back when it was entertaining. Cosell was so rude to his co-host Don Meridith and so ill-informed about football and so generally obnoxious that it made for great theater.

Cosell said of himself, "I've been called arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. And, of course, I am." He was one of the classcis, along with Johnny Most.
Man, it sure is crazy how the guy who always posts about Felger writes well and is a student of broadcasters isn't it?

I'm born and raised HERE in New England. Die hard Pats, Sox , C's, Broons fan my entire life. I used to enjoy sports talk radio 20 years ago but I must say, when I first heard this scumbag Felcher my first reaction was to grab the 34 inch Louisville Slugger and walk this mutt's ****ing mouth right into it. This kokksucker is from Milwaukee.I've been to Wisconsin..and bildowaukee...WTF is THIS dill prickle eater doing on MY New England sports talk radio??? Guess idiots sucking up this POS gets "ratings" these days. The straw that breaks MY back is that runty little Scumbaggarotti azzole POS even ON any area radio station. What this ****ing runt did in 2007 to OUR team and fanbase should have gotten him a one way trip to Mr. Woodchipperville.

Anyway, my dream is a few thousand Pats fans get shoe boxes full of dog ****, wrap them up nice and send them C/O Felger at 98.5 and let that slob Murray have a stroke opening each and every one.

Cosell was all those things he admitted to. But beyond that, he was the LEAST knowledgeable, insightful sports commentator imaginable. (I can't vouch for that applying to boxing, I never saw/heard him do boxing.) You might consider what he did on MNF "great theater," but it was irritating as hell and hurt the product. I remember my dad and I getting so fed up with that clown we turned the sound off and watched games in silence.

Cosell was all those things he admitted to. But beyond that, he was the LEAST knowledgeable, insightful sports commentator imaginable. (I can't vouch for that applying to boxing, I never saw/heard him do boxing.) You might consider what he did on MNF "great theater," but it was irritating as hell and hurt the product. I remember my dad and I getting so fed up with that clown we turned the sound off and watched games in silence.

Ah the Good Old Days. Monday Night Football was the best. These days MNF is snorefest with slick talkers like Al Michaels, but back then it was THE game to watch, partially because Cosell was so aggravating, obnoxious, and pompous. I hate Al MIchaels; he is so professional and boring.

The young pups here may not realize it, but Chris Berman's famous, "He could go all the way!" was actually Berman imitating Cosell, accent and all.

Ah the Good Old Days. Monday Night Football was the best. These days MNF is snorefest with slick talkers like Al Michaels, but back then it was THE game to watch, partially because Cosell was so aggravating, obnoxious, and pompous. I hate Al MIchaels; he is so professional and boring.

The young pups here may not realize it, but Chris Berman's famous, "He could go all the way!" was actually Berman imitating Cosell, accent and all.

Al Michaels should've retired a while back, he's not what he used to be. But let's not conflate play-by-play guys with color commentators.

Apparently you loved hating Cosell and that was fun for you. I just don't like being irritated watching something I enjoy, even though I never missed a MNF game. Give me a "boring" announcer over an irritating one anytime.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back