PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm rooting for Jacoby

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I am hoping Jacoby does real well. I want him to cause a QB controversy with Luck. The Colts are not a threat to the Pats so I don't care.

Here is what we be cool..

The idiots Play Tolzien one more game fall behind by 28 in first half, Jacoby comes in for good this time, rallies them to lose like 31-28. Colts 0-2.

Then Jacoby plays insanely well, the D still sucks so every game he needs to thrown and run for multiple TDs. They win 4 straight to get to 4-2. Even many Colts fans are liking him and are wondering about QB controversy with Luck.

Luck comes back and struggles. They are stubborn sticking with him, drop like 5 out of 6 with Luck, now 5-7. They make up an injury to Luck, out for season. Jacoby comes in wins 3 of 4, they finish 8-8, miss division "title" by one win. (Hang runner up flag)

Jacoby and Luck QB controversy for next season on his contract year.

I am hoping Jacoby does real well. I want him to cause a QB controversy with Luck. The Colts are not a threat to the Pats so I don't care.

Here is what we be cool..

The idiots Play Tolzien one more game fall behind by 28 in first half, Jacoby comes in for good this time, rallies them to lose like 31-28. Colts 0-2.

Then Jacoby plays insanely well, the D still sucks so every game he needs to thrown and run for multiple TDs. They win 4 straight to get to 4-2. Even many Colts fans are liking him and are wondering about QB controversy with Luck.

Luck comes back and struggles. They are stubborn sticking with him, drop like 5 out of 6 with Luck, now 5-7. They make up an injury to Luck, out for season. Jacoby comes in wins 3 of 4, they finish 8-8, miss division "title" by one win. (Hang runner up flag)

Jacoby and Luck QB controversy for next season on his contract year.

There's a better chance that the NFL decides to fold up shop after the season than there is of Jacoby challenging Luck for his job or creating ANY kind of QB controversy once Luck is healthy.

There's a better chance that the NFL decides to fold up shop after the season than there is of Jacoby challenging Luck for his job or creating ANY kind of QB controversy once Luck is healthy.
giphy.gif

Easy to root for them to win enough to stay mediocre, and I still like Jacoby so I enjoyed seeing him make that throw.

I root against his laundry...

...but for the man. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure they were saying the exact same thing with young Tom Brady when Bledsoe was on the shelf with an injury in 2001. Not comparing Brissett to Brady, but the situations are similar, Luck a former #1 overall pick who showed glimpses of greatness, but hasn't reached the consistent level of greatness just yet, and the unproven 2nd year QB who played great in his 2nd year in the preseason. Lots of parallels here.

I'm sure they were saying the exact same thing with young Tom Brady when Bledsoe was on the shelf with an injury in 2001. Not comparing Brissett to Brady, but the situations are similar, Luck a former #1 overall pick who showed glimpses of greatness, but hasn't reached the consistent level of greatness just yet, and the unproven 2nd year QB who played great in his 2nd year in the preseason. Lots of parallels here.
Right. Because Jacoby is JUST the same as young Tom Brady. Sheesh. The only parallel that matters is talent. Jacoby hasn't got enough of it.

Right. Because Jacoby is JUST the same as young Tom Brady. Sheesh. The only parallel that matters is talent. Jacoby hasn't got enough of it.
So Tom Brady who came into the Jets game after Bledsoe got hurt in 2001 was light years ahead of the 2017 Brissett ? The same Brady who threw for under 200 yards in his first career start vs the Colts ? I would say that the talent gap wasn't that big at the parallel point in their careers.

yes. @rochrist doesn't have a clue anyway.

So Tom Brady who came into the Jets game after Bledsoe got hurt in 2001 was light years ahead of the 2017 Brissett ? The same Brady who threw for under 200 yards in his first career start vs the Colts ? I would say that the talent gap wasn't that big at the parallel point in their careers.

On the one hand, yes: Brady spent 2 solid years of his career dealing with people insisting that he wasn't actually that good and had a low ceiling because he just wasn't talented enough. So yeah, when those types of criticisms are leveled at others Brady becomes the obvious comp, and is the best possible example of the simple fact that sometimes you just can't know what a guy's ceiling is until he has a real body of work. Even if he seems slow and unathletic and weak-armed, he might actually be Tom ****ing Brady and you just don't know it because he's buried on your depth chart and isn't getting a chance to really develop. There's a real chance that some QB is out of the league now because he never got his shot, but would have had a Brady-type career arc if he'd got a shot like Brady did.

OTOH, there's a reason why it's 2017 and people are still going back to 2001 to find that comp. There are other guys who have outplayed their draft positions and carved out a reputation for themselves: Wilson, Prescott, Cousins, etc., but none are even close to Brady. They were always regarded as having a lot more potential than Brady was given credit for, and none of them developed into half the player Brady is. But when the best argument for a player is 'he could be the latest once-in-a-generation QB diamond in the rough', that's not a super compelling forward-looking argument. I think it undersells how ridiculously improbable Brady's career arc is to suggest that it's a realistic possibility for anyone else to mirror it.

So I guess my stance is that it's always possible that young overlooked QB #275 might be the next Brady, but I'll always assume he's not. Eventually one will prove me wrong, but I'll be right about the other 200 that come before him so I'll take those odds. Trevor Siemian isn't the next Brady, Ryan Mallett isn't the next Brady, Tom Savage isn't the next Brady, AJ McCarron isn't the next Brady, Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the next Brady, Bryce Petty isn't the next Brady, TJ Yates isn't the next Brady, Ryan Nassib isn't the next Brady, Mike Glennon isn't the next Brady, Matt Flynn wasn't the next Brady, etc. Likewise, Jacoby Brissett almost certainly is not the next Brady, to the point that I think it's unfair to make that comparison at all. I'm rooting for him, and I think he might have a future in the NFL, but comparing him to Brady in any meaningful way is just setting him up for failure.

I get the feeling many, many posters here became Pats fans midway through the 2007 season.

Jacoby had a better rookie season.

And he had a better opening game of his 2nd year, too.

Sorry Ro, but you'll lose credibility if you're going to claim you knew Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady after Bledsoe and the Pats dropped the opener to the Bengals in 2001.

At THIS point in their careers, Advantage Brissett.

99.6% chance the rest of the way the comparison goes in the other direction.

Last edited:

Nope. The only thing that matters is that it appears to the Colts' brain trust (and I use the term very loosely) to be the exact same situation as Brady v. Bledsoe. That's when we break out the popcorn. :)

There's a real chance that some QB is out of the league now because he never got his shot, but would have had a Brady-type career arc if he'd got a shot like Brady did.

This could hypothetically apply to almost any QB who sat on the bench with the Lions, Jets, Browns, etc.

... comparing (Brissett) to Brady in any meaningful way is just setting him up for failure.

Entirely possible that the Colts "organization" and/or fans will do exactly that if Brissett wins games and Luck (after he comes back) does not.

On the one hand, yes: Brady spent 2 solid years of his career dealing with people insisting that he wasn't actually that good and had a low ceiling because he just wasn't talented enough. So yeah, when those types of criticisms are leveled at others Brady becomes the obvious comp, and is the best possible example of the simple fact that sometimes you just can't know what a guy's ceiling is until he has a real body of work. Even if he seems slow and unathletic and weak-armed, he might actually be Tom ****ing Brady and you just don't know it because he's buried on your depth chart and isn't getting a chance to really develop. There's a real chance that some QB is out of the league now because he never got his shot, but would have had a Brady-type career arc if he'd got a shot like Brady did.

OTOH, there's a reason why it's 2017 and people are still going back to 2001 to find that comp. There are other guys who have outplayed their draft positions and carved out a reputation for themselves: Wilson, Prescott, Cousins, etc., but none are even close to Brady. They were always regarded as having a lot more potential than Brady was given credit for, and none of them developed into half the player Brady is. But when the best argument for a player is 'he could be the latest once-in-a-generation QB diamond in the rough', that's not a super compelling forward-looking argument. I think it undersells how ridiculously improbable Brady's career arc is to suggest that it's a realistic possibility for anyone else to mirror it.

So I guess my stance is that it's always possible that young overlooked QB #275 might be the next Brady, but I'll always assume he's not. Eventually one will prove me wrong, but I'll be right about the other 200 that come before him so I'll take those odds. Trevor Siemian isn't the next Brady, Ryan Mallett isn't the next Brady, Tom Savage isn't the next Brady, AJ McCarron isn't the next Brady, Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the next Brady, Bryce Petty isn't the next Brady, TJ Yates isn't the next Brady, Ryan Nassib isn't the next Brady, Mike Glennon isn't the next Brady, Matt Flynn wasn't the next Brady, etc. Likewise, Jacoby Brissett almost certainly is not the next Brady, to the point that I think it's unfair to make that comparison at all. I'm rooting for him, and I think he might have a future in the NFL, but comparing him to Brady in any meaningful way is just setting him up for failure.
He would not need to be the next Brady to beat out Luck, especially if Luck has injury issues. I think he was only making the comparison because of @rochrist the clueless one.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back