PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Finally Convinced: This is Brady's Last Year in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, do you think Belichick is more worried about losing a 43 years Brady or a 26 year old Thuney and a 28 year old Van Noy, and others?

I recommend trying to think it like Belichick here, because I honestly think Kraft used up his last chit with him regarding Garropolo. One more step into it and BB could bolt.

Please tell me you aren’t referring to the debunked BSPN fake news that Belichick wanted to dump Brady and keep garapolo.

Where is he getting a similar QB to contend with?
He won’t. BB might (and of course we don’t have any idea) think : we’re done here. Brady is leaving/he’s not the same/etc... he’ll move on to the next option and see what’s what. Stidham. Bridgewater. Who knows ? This is a coach who won with Cassel (and out of worldly talent around him), with Jimmy, with Brissett...

Am not sure how many teams will be interested in Brady at this point especially if he needs a top of the market 2 year deal. For it to make sense they need to be a win now team with QB being the missing link, have cap space and a Coach willing to create an offensive system around Brady's strengths.

Without having knowledge of teams cap situation the only team the jumps out to me would be the Bears. They appear to have missed badly with Trubisky and seem to have enough talent at defense to make them a serious contender. Have heard the Titans or Chargers mentioned but I am not sure that Brady would be enough of an upgrade at QB to make them serious contenders.

Pats still seem to make the most sense. Assuming they believe Stidham is the future it seems like Brady on a 1 incentive laden year contract would provide a needed bridge year to get Stidham ready. If Brady exceeds expectations they can do the same again next off season.

As much as I would hate to see Brady go if he demands 2 years guaranteed at top money then I think the Pats turn their eyes towards a veteran like Mariota as a stop gap/revive career type option while Stidham develops.

He won’t. BB might (and of course we don’t have any idea) think : we’re done here. Brady is leaving/he’s not the same/etc... he’ll move on to the next option and see what’s what. Stidham. Bridgewater. Who knows ? This is a coach who won with Cassel (and out of worldly talent around him), with Jimmy, with Brissett...
None of those guys make the plays Brady needed to make to win the last 3 SBs. Bridgewater is going to get stupid overpaid.

Am not sure how many teams will be interested in Brady at this point especially if he needs a top of the market 2 year deal. For it to make sense they need to be a win now team with QB being the missing link, have cap space and a Coach willing to create an offensive system around Brady's strengths.

Without having knowledge of teams cap situation the only team the jumps out to me would be the Bears. They appear to have missed badly with Trubisky and seem to have enough talent at defense to make them a serious contender. Have heard the Titans or Chargers mentioned but I am not sure that Brady would be enough of an upgrade at QB to make them serious contenders.

Pats still seem to make the most sense. Assuming they believe Stidham is the future it seems like Brady on a 1 incentive laden year contract would provide a needed bridge year to get Stidham ready. If Brady exceeds expectations they can do the same again next off season.

As much as I would hate to see Brady go if he demands 2 years guaranteed at top money then I think the Pats turn their eyes towards a veteran like Mariota as a stop gap/revive career type option while Stidham develops.

I really think it's NE or nothing for Brady in 2020. No team will pay him that much money. NE may pay him because of nostalgia/loyalty.

I think JM will have huge input in that decision. I’d go so far as to say it’s his call.

People stating that no team will overpay for a 43 year old Brady have not been paying attention to the League.
(1) desperate franchises
(2) being in the news at all cost
(3) thinking you are “a qb away from the SB”
(4) stupid GMs

I can’t stress #4 enough.

Agree here too. Several teams could give Brady $25 for one year. It's not a big stretch.

In fact, don't be hugely surprised if Brady goes somewhere for the same Patriots money ($15m) if he has absolutely certain guarantees that Antonio Brown and/or Odell Beckham are coming with him.

Not sure if that team is the Chargers, but I could see it being the Raiders too, Broncos, Titans, Bears & Bucs.

Looking at that list, do not be shocked if he ends up in Chicago.

Agree here too. Several teams could give Brady $25 for one year. It's not a big stretch.

In fact, don't be hugely surprised if Brady goes somewhere for the same Patriots money ($15m) if he has absolutely certain guarantees that Antonio Brown and/or Odell Beckham are coming with him.

Not sure if that team is the Chargers, but I could see it being the Raiders too, Broncos, Titans, Bears & Bucs.

Looking at that list, do not be shocked if he ends up in Chicago.

Raiders - Derrick Carr won't be a free agent until 2023. Unlikely the Raiders will pay him and Brady.

Broncos - Seem to be pleased with Drew Lock. Unlikely.

Titans - Maybe? No long term starter there. And he gets to reunite with Mike Vrabel.

Bears - Maybe? Trubisky sucks and is not the long term solution there, but the coaching in Chicago is not great. Unlikely.

Bucs - Didn't they say recently they were committed to Jameis Winston for 2020?

Chargers - would be interesting. They are opening up a new stadium in 2020 and could use a guy like Brady to attract season ticket holders.

Last edited:

He didn't win with any of those guys.

I mean, anyone in this league could have several good games in one stretch.

Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Schaub, Osweiler, the street is littered with guys that had a pretty good regular season. But their teams went nowhere in the end, and they ended up as backups. Hell, Tannehill is the definition of this kind of QB. Belichick has a rude awakening if he thinks this is going to get him anywhere. I'm not saying he needs a Brady-caliber QB to win, but the way this team is constructed, he needs a Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford type. He needs someone who can throw the ball.

Question, do you think Belichick is more worried about losing a 43 years Brady or a 26 year old Thuney and a 28 year old Van Noy, and others?

I recommend trying to think it like Belichick here, because I honestly think Kraft used up his last chit with him regarding Garropolo. One more step into it and BB could bolt.

I am saying that $16-20m for a starting QB is already the absolute low end for a starting QB off his rookie contract.

I doubt Belichick is going to bolt over having to pay Brady less next year than he did this year.

Raiders - Derrick Carr won't be a free agent until 2023. Unlikely the Raiders will pay him and Brady.

Broncos - Seem to be pleased with Drew Lock. Unlikely.

Titans - Maybe? No long term starter there. And he gets to reunite with Mike Vrabel.

Bears - Maybe? Trubisky sucks and is not the long term solution there, but the coaching in Chicago is not great. Unlikely.

Bucs - Didn't they say recently they were committed to Jameis Winston for 2020?

The talk is that the Raiders will trade Carr. His signing bonuses are not that great. The deal, by the way, was a 5 year deal signed in 2017, it runs until the 2021 season. That's 2 years left. But look at the signing bonus. It's $12.5m. $40m guaranteed over the life of the contract, or $8m per year. With 2 years left, they owe him $16m, but his salary is going on $25m. So they would save $9m by cutting him. The only question for them is, are they going to get someone better for the $9m in savings? The answer is NO. But, are they willing to take the hit, and maybe bring a Brady in for just $6m more than what than staying with Carr is going to cost them? If they can get a 2nd rounder for Carr, they just might do it.

Not sure the Broncos are pleased with Lock, at least not after this week.

The Bears provide a big venue for him, such a big market dying for a winner. They can't continue with Trubisky.

The Bucs are possible if they get rid of Winston.

Why not? That is basically bottom basement non Rookie contract Quarterback money.

Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The CapQuarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

So basically the question is for 16-20m would you rather have 43 year old Tom Brady or Andy Dalton?

For the narrow cap space the Pats are facing while trying to fit in a Thuney and/or Van Noy FA plus an older McCourty twin - - this spring, I can't see Belichick giving $16-20 million for any QB. There is going to be a lot of turnover on this team if you look at that roster.

Brady would have to go lower and, even if he did, knows full well what a quick hook BB would have vs another HC.

Of course he will. He just paid him 21.5 for this year.
No I am thinking with my brain because the best chance for the patriots to win a Sb is with Tom Brady.
This team is about winning SBs

Their best chance is with Brady THIS year, with Brady gutting it out at 42 and Stidhanm still a rookie.

The Rubiks Cube changes next year with Brady at 43 and Stidham with a full year under his belt and having to fit Van Noy, Thuney into the cap along with decisions on the McCourty twins and others.

It's a jigsaw puzzle - - it's not simple.

Their best chance is with Brady THIS year, with Brady gutting it out at 42 and Stidhanm still a rookie.

The Rubiks Cube changes next year with Brady at 43 and Stidham with a full year under his belt and having to fit Van Noy, Thuney into the cap along with decisions on the McCourty twins and others.

It's a jigsaw puzzle - - it's not simple.

Wait you actually think they have a better chance to win the SB next year with Stidham than with Tom freaking Brady? Wow. Let’s just end the conversation there because I am going to pull a muscle laughing. Wow.

For the narrow cap space the Pats are facing while trying to fit in a Thuney and/or Van Noy FA plus an older McCourty twin - - this spring, I can't see Belichick giving $16-20 million for any QB. There is going to be a lot of turnover on this team if you look at that roster.

Brady would have to go lower and, even if he did, knows full well what a quick hook BB would have vs another HC.

I don't think they are going to sign Thuney. I think Thuney is gone.

This team is about winning SBs
No, this team is about winning now balanced with winning tomorrow.

Belichick has never gone “all in” and he’s not going to handicap the team for years to get a one-year quick hit.

Wait you actually think they have a better chance to win the SB next year with Stidham than with Tom freaking Brady? Wow. Let’s just end the conversation there because I am going to pull a muscle laughing. Wow.

Agree with you here. Once someone like Stidham is QB, the talent dropoff on offense will be Jets-like laughable. Opposing defenses will throw the kitchen sink at Stidham, he won't be able to read defenses, nor conduct the offense, and all the warts of the OL will look even worse. Especially if McDaniels departs, and especially if Dante retires again. It will be very bad for the Patriots.

They need to hit on a QB like we see everywhere around the league these days. Unfortunately, the Patriots will have to suck one year for a shot at a QB like that.

And/or sign someone like Jameis Winston if he hits the free agency market.

You’re thinking like a fan, not thinking like BB. If he thinks keeping Brady hurts the team too much for too long in other ways, he’s pulling the trigger.

Agree with you here. Once someone like Stidham is QB, the talent dropoff on offense will be Jets-like laughable. Opposing defenses will throw the kitchen sink at Stidham, he won't be able to read defenses, nor conduct the offense, and all the warts of the OL will look even worse. Especially if McDaniels departs, and especially if Dante retires again. It will be very bad for the Patriots.

They need to hit on a QB like we see everywhere around the league these days. Unfortunately, the Patriots will have to suck one year for a shot at a QB like that.

And/or sign someone like Jameis Winston if he hits the free agency market.

Just like is Jimmy G would of been a starter QB oh wait oh and the other day Stidham was wowing team mates when giving 1st team reps on Friday but yep Stidhams a bust let's write em off yet.

Just like is Jimmy G would of been a starter QB oh wait oh and the other day Stidham was wowing team mates when giving 1st team reps on Friday but yep Stidhams a bust let's write em off yet.

We've always wildly overrated our backups. So many QBs have come through here. We also knew what we had with Jimmy G. It's another caliber of QB. A world of difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes