PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If We Pick At 15

The problem with BPA is it's inherent subjectivity, one GM's BPA is another GM's dud.

This is one year that the Pats need to be all in and get one of the top 5 QB's... they need to defy their traditions. If they stay at 15 and draft a player who does not start game #1, then there will be the predictable whining about BB & crew's draft prowess, again and over and over and over again. Not sure I can go through another 500+ threads on the sky is falling or the game has passed BB by..

BB play all your cards, get what this team needs and shut everyone up once an for all.
If 6 Lombardi’s didn’t shut the haters up nothing will. Belichick could do everything they say they want him to do and when it didn’t work out they will simply lie about what they said they wanted and continue to sh.t all over him, as that’s what they really love to do. There is no better example than Garrapolo, as most of them wanted him to trade Brady in 2014 and keep Garrapolo, now they claim they wanted Belichick to keep Brady and sh.t all over him for letting Brady go to Tampa Bay, while simultaneously claiming that Kraft was actually the one who signed Brady to all the team friendly deals. There is no logic to their views as they defy the reality that no GM has ever come close to accomplishing what Belichick has accomplished. They are just haters, pure and simple, and they live to spread their misery, nothing will ever make them happy.

I answered this in another thread but assuming that the 5 QB’s, 3 WR’s, Pitts, Parsons, and Sewell are gone then I would pass on the CB’s and take Kwity Paye, the pass rusher/Edge defender from Michigan. This would almost certainly give the Patriots the best pass rush in football. I would then use the remaining cap $ to extend Gilmore and re-sign Jackson. I wouldn’t pay the kings ransom for a rookie QB, I would try to move up in Rd. 2 for a QB prospect and continue to talk with franchises about trading for a veteran QB. I would also look at signing Alex Smith as a stop gap to the problem.
Paye makes a lot of sense. I trust BB to make wise DL picks so if that is who he picks, then I am all on board.

You're a walking contradiction. Wow.
I haven’t contradicted myself at all.
we have to get a qb.
If we screw up we should build the resources to fix that mistake next year.
If newton is our an we suck. We could salvage this year by getting a different qb for now who sucks less.
100% consistent with everything I have said all along.

Nope. Your strategy sets us back three or four years.
Not getting a qb ensures we cannot win. Your strategy leaves us without a qb indefinitely.

Obviously it isn't a question. It is a comment on your obsession with running down Newton.
Statements don’t have question marks after them.
And I will take your response to mean you think a “real fan” has to love every player in the roster, think they are dreamy and never look at weaknesses, identify them and want them fixed.

I just you long for the “pumped and jacked” everything is going to be wonderful days.

The problem with BPA is it's inherent subjectivity, one GM's BPA is another GM's dud.

This is one year that the Pats need to be all in and get one of the top 5 QB's... they need to defy their traditions. If they stay at 15 and draft a player who does not start game #1, then there will be the predictable whining about BB & crew's draft prowess, again and over and over and over again. Not sure I can go through another 500+ threads on the sky is falling or the game has passed BB by..

BB play all your cards, get what this team needs and shut everyone up once an for all.
Anyone who hasn’t been shut up by 6 championships never will be.
Better to ignore the posts and enjoy the team.

Paye makes a lot of sense. I trust BB to make wise DL picks so if that is who he picks, then I am all on board.
I think valid arguments could be made for the top CB’s, WR, and other positions but I would go with the top pass rusher because they never get out of the top 5. Phillips and Oweh are also options but I think Paye is going to be the best of the group. If I were going with Philips or Oweh I would try to trade down to the mid twenties and still get my player, as well as another 2nd day pick.

Not getting a qb ensures we cannot win. Your strategy leaves us without a qb indefinitely.

"Indefinitely" ?? One season = indefinitely??

debbie downer GIF

"Indefinitely" ?? One season = indefinitely??

debbie downer GIF
If you don’t draft the QBs this year, why would you next year?
If your plan is to roll with the worst QBs in the NFL and do nothing at all to fix the position in the year you have by far the most resources you ever have, then you aren’t going to fix the QBs position.

If you don’t draft the QBs this year, why would you next year?
If your plan is to roll with the worst QBs in the NFL and do nothing at all to fix the position in the year you have by far the most resources you ever have, then you aren’t going to fix the QBs position.

Wrong again. I've never said anything like that but in your obsessive need to be right you'll create a false narrative to win an argument that never was except in your own mind that is.

I answered this in another thread but assuming that the 5 QB’s, 3 WR’s, Pitts, Parsons, and Sewell are gone then I would pass on the CB’s and take Kwity Paye, the pass rusher/Edge defender from Michigan. This would almost certainly give the Patriots the best pass rush in football. I would then use the remaining cap $ to extend Gilmore and re-sign Jackson. I wouldn’t pay the kings ransom for a rookie QB, I would try to move up in Rd. 2 for a QB prospect and continue to talk with franchises about trading for a veteran QB. I would also look at signing Alex Smith as a stop gap to the problem.
My concern with Paye is while it sounds like he has the physical tools to be a force, he needs a lot of work on his technique before he can make an immediate impact. This draft class is considered a weak one for pass rushers by many experts, and Paye isn’t a prospect the way guys like Chase Young, Myles Garrett, and the Bosa brothers were coming out of college.

Here’s a scouting report I read today:

Kwity Paye is the definition of a boom-or-bust player coming out of Michigan. While there is so much to like regarding his size, athleticism, power, and explosiveness, there’s a ton of technical deficiencies that showed up on tape that are also very concerning. Paye has power in his hands, and at times shows strides in consistency with his strikes, but far too often he gives up his chest by playing with poor leverage and not understanding how to use his arm length. Even with the issues on tape, Paye’s natural athleticism is freaky for his size, and that’s what gets you excited about his ceiling. If Paye is able to put it all together, he has some of the best natural traits in this draft class.

Round Grade:

2nd (#32 Overall)

Wrong again. I've never said anything like that but in your obsessive need to be right you'll create a false narrative to win an argument that never was except in your own mind that is.
You are saying do not get the qb this year, a banner year for QBs in the draft. Why would you get one next year?

Your plan appears to be QuaRteRbAcKzZZ aRe ToO EXpEnsIve so you want to just grab a bunch of crappy ones.
That will get us nowhere.

There is no need to “win an argument” that you need a qb to win in the nfl and cam Newton sucks because they are self evident.

My concern with Paye is while it sounds like he has the physical tools to be a force, he needs a lot of work on his technique before he can make an immediate impact. This draft class is considered a weak one for pass rushers by many experts, and Paye isn’t a prospect the way guys like Chase Young, Myles Garrett, and the Bosa brothers were coming out of college.

I don’t worry about technique that much because he will have a coach in Belichick, as well as assistants like Mayo to help turn his abilities into a first rate LB and pass rusher. It was a later pick but they went with Uche despite similar concerns, and it looks like they got a great young player with the pick. I don’t think you want a player that has already maxed out their abilities with a high pick.

For the record, I would take Parsons over Paye, but I made the pick based on the assumption that the players I listed, including Parsons, would already have been picked. To me Paye would be the best choice of those who are left at #15. Some would take Philips, Oweh, Rousseau, or another prospect at another position, I feel like Paye would be the best pick of those left in my board.

This is why I think the 5th QB will last to #15. Say you are a GM of a NFL franchise owned by a billionaire and have the choice between a QB you know very little about or a franchise cornerstone player for the next decade.....

People like to keep their jobs. IMO, this is why the Niners moved up..Shanny Junior and Lynch have 3 losing seasons out if four...and were a slight overthrow from winning the Niners 5th Lombardi... Harbaugh had a better track record than that....I think their seats warmed up a bit and they decided to go big or go home.

Another thing...with the Niners spending three ones to jump from #12 to #3, I think they set the market price...and in turn ..there isn't likely much action in round 1 this year. It is like at the final table of a poker tournament...you are a mid stack trying to survive...and let everyone else knock themselves out...just be patient and patient until the cards come to you.....
Then the question becomes "does BB think the 5th QB is better than the other players available at #15, or the picks you can get in trade for #15" and I think the answer to that is no. BB's more likely to trade down and pick the 8th best QB in the second or third rounds, or just use our 2nd or 3rd for a QB and pick a non-QB blue chipper at #15.

IMO, odds are only 10% that BB will take a QB at #15, i.e. 9 to 1 against picking a QB. I think most media members feel the same way, but that doesn't generate clicks, so they keep sexing up the QB angle.

Obviously it isn't a question. It is a comment on your obsession with running down Newton.
I have two questions if you don't mind.
1 - Who's the last starting QB we've had who's been as bad as Netwon?
2 - What makes Newton immune from criticism?

As for the thread topic, if we keep our pick at 15 I say BPA, which is always my choice.

If 6 Lombardi’s didn’t shut the haters up nothing will. Belichick could do everything they say they want him to do and when it didn’t work out they will simply lie about what they said they wanted and continue to sh.t all over him, as that’s what they really love to do. There is no better example than Garrapolo, as most of them wanted him to trade Brady in 2014 and keep Garrapolo, now they claim they wanted Belichick to keep Brady and sh.t all over him for letting Brady go to Tampa Bay, while simultaneously claiming that Kraft was actually the one who signed Brady to all the team friendly deals. There is no logic to their views as they defy the reality that no GM has ever come close to accomplishing what Belichick has accomplished. They are just haters, pure and simple, and they live to spread their misery, nothing will ever make them happy.
Why don't you name the people who wanted to keep JG and let Brady go. If there's so many of them it should be easy.

Draft chart says 15 + next years 1 plus 2 4ths gets the patriots the #4 from Atlanta according to Breer. This would be a no brainer.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back