PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If OBJ is released by the Browns and is unclaimed, do you want him in NE on the cheap? (Update: Signed by Rams)

What the hell would the Bucs do with this guy?

LMAO. Him and Brady have had hard-ons for each other so it wouldn't surprise me. Also, if you're Beckham, it can't hurt to go to Tampa. You get to play half a season with an all-time legendary QB and you won't be relied upon TOO heavily where it may make or break how much you get paid in the off-season. Saints don't have a QB, so I don't know why he'd bother going there. He might get more targets in Green Bay, but Tampa spreads the ball around a ton and will give him the best shot at a ring. Scotty Miller was their 5th WR and he made some big plays for them in the regular season and post-season.

I believe if he passes through waivers, the Browns owe him the rest of any guaranteed money, his new team pays him the minimum, and that minimum reduces what the Browns have to pay him.

Doesn't all the money go back to Cleveland anyway?

No, he's going to get a brand new contract and his old one gets torn up. His new team will be on the hook for the full amount.
I believe 40yrpatsfan is mostly correct, MAC10 isn’t.

my question is how NLTBE incentives would play into the salary relief to the Browns. I’d expect they would be independent of it, so the teams could use that as a way to differentiate offers. Also not entirely sure if the salary from the new team goes back to reimburse the old team or if it just reduces their cap hit. Seems the latter would be more beneficial to the players so wonder if the PA got that into the CBA. Otherwise it’s unclear to me what teams could offer as competing bids.

What the hell would the Bucs do with this guy?

I think he’s going to Tampa if Tom wants him. GB will be a sleeping on this as they always do. Saints could be a good option as he could get more looks.

I think he’s going to Tampa if Tom wants him. GB will be a sleeping on this as they always do. Saints could be a good option as he could get more looks.

Tampa signed Perriman.

Tampa signed Perriman.
To the practice squad. I think Beckham would take the vet minimum since the Browns pay the rest of his salary.. so you couldn't exactly rule out signing him.

OBJ is looking for another 3 year contract. That is his motivation. OBJ is a YAC monster so he needs a QB to hit him in stride as he exits his breaks. That is a different QB than a deep ball thrower like Mahomes/Mayfield/etc. Brady can do that but already has 3 great receivers plus Gronk, so the # of balls OBJ will get will be limited. The Saints do not have a QB that can hit OBJ in stride so I doubt OBJ will chose the Saints. Aaron Rodgers and Mac can hit OBJ in stride, and both do not have a lot of other great receiving options (Adams is discussed later), so OBJ can get a lot of balls from either the Packers or the Patriots. Obviously AR is the more experienced QB and Adams will get a lot of double teams to leave OBJ "one on one". Having said that it is doubtful that the Packers are going far into the playoffs (the NFC is stacked), and every playoff game performance increases the likelihood of a new 3 year deal. The Patriots, in the AFC, are more likely to play multiple playoff games than Green Bay in the NFC. So what does OBJ do? I am guessing Green Bay with AR.

Soooo many prima-donnas in one place at one time...

And it really could become an issue for them in the second half of this season. Last I knew Davante Adam’s is an unrestricted FA after this season, and he’s going to want to be the primary receiver before free agency hits, and I’m sure Rodgers knows this and wants to feed him as much as possible, if for no other reason just to stick it to Green Bay.

How would OBJ adapt to our offense? Word out of Cleveland was that he freelanced.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back