PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're saying the same thing......basically figuring out a way to keep Garoppolo if he plays well....I think it is possible for the pats to keep both for about the same price that some of the top paid guys get

it goes back to the adage of getting rid of someone a year too early rather than a year too late.....at some point, that holds true for Brady too.

If you have a good young QB in this scenario, you do what you have to to keep him.......leaving your pants down with the possibility of not having an NFL caliber QB on your roster is foolish

Agreed, but I thought you were making the point that if Garoppolo plays well, he'd get the nod over Brady for Game 5; eschewing sentimentality, as it were.

Although I'm the one of the ones who disagreed, in addition to the question you posed, you made a couple of assertions in your post. Disagreements with such a post aren't necessarily invalid, and this post gives the appearance of thin skin.

I certainly don't have thin skin. Maybe I have misinterpreted the meaning behind the disagrees. I still think Jimmy gone in the Summer, and that is why Brissett was signed, but that is open to argument.

Roll on week one when we have non-hypothetical things to discuss!

Agreed, but I thought you were making the point that if Garoppolo plays well, he'd get the nod over Brady for Game 5; eschewing sentimentality, as it were.

I meant in a longer term vision

I was at training camp on Friday, August 8 and this thread should be shut down. Garoppolo isn't close. Overthrows, underthrows, interceptions. Take your pick.

Belichick got up in his grill about two-thirds of the way through practice for an extended talk with Josh right there. After practice was over and the OL was signing for the kids, Belichick was over on the far field with Brady and Garoppolo, and it looked like some serious teaching was under way before Brady and Garoppolo played drop in the bucket. Garoppolo sucked at that, too.

The new guy? Brissett did not take a snap in 11-on-11s.

There were a couple of flashes. Garoppolo threw an outstanding pass to Gronk on the sideline early on that was thrown right through excellent coverage by Richards.

Bottom line, ladies and gentlemen. 2-2 in the first four games will be an accomplishment unless the defense puts points on the board. Pressure's on.

I still think Jimmy gone in the Summer, and that is why Brissett was signed, but that is open to argument.

Brissett did not take a snap today in 11-on-11s.

OK wise ass....how long do you think Tom has left? This isn't 08 when he was 31 (the calls for Cassell to be the QB were moronic) To try and shut down debate on the future of a 39 year old QB by a patronising attitude is daft. I have said nothing about form, nothing about rust, nothing about JG being better today. I personally though Tom had one of his best seasons last year, considering the OL was made of Swiss cheese. This has been purely about the fact that at 39, he isn't gonna go on forever, and how we move forward as a franchise, as franchise stars don't just walk in the door, or magically appear at the exact draft you fancy

If you were here in 2014, and you were, then you might recall the "Trade Brady" idiocy that year. In posting this discussion, even with the hope of a logical discussion, then you should probably brace for sarcasm and negativity. Given all the negativity Brady has experienced, your neutral question likely invokes the thoughts of that thread to many who had the displeasure of reading it. If you didn't read that moronic conversation, then find it, read it, and understand why posters may not love revisiting the topic now (and no, I do not have that response but did post in that thread as to why the proposal was absurd). If you are surprised/hurt by the negative response, then I recommend perusing that lengthy discussion less than 2 years and 1 ring ago. The reaction may be less surprising after that read.

As an FYI, the "wise ass" is Ian (his site - we are mere posters and participants). I read the humor as to the topic generally, not to you and the thread.

If you are trying to be objective, and in response to the 39 year old question, then why do you say that age is the logical end? Usually that determination is performance based, but I would not be quick to call 4770 yds, 36 TDs, and a 103 rating a statistical dropoff. Brady is not a runner. Nor is he a gunslinger. Find a QB like him- both scheme and abilities- and tell me why it is ridiculous that he be around for several more years? The closest comparison I could think of is Montana, and he had a major spinal injury at age 30 and played 4 full seasons in his career. Brady has already played 30 more regular season games than Montana, and has not missed a game in 7 years. Montana's longest streak of consecutive games was 2 years, and that was early in his career. Healthwise, they are not comparable.

Brady does not carry a ton of extra weight (see him in person, and you would likely call him thin), so the knee wear is reduced. When a guy like Herschel Walker can even walk to an MMA fight at age 48, then I do not dismiss more years with Brady as improbable, let alone impossible. If you want to make that claim, then make the argument as to why (other than the general QB argument (QBs older than x have never thrown for y), without regard to circumstances and demonstrated longevity and performance).

If you were here in 2014, and you were, then you might recall the "Trade Brady" idiocy that year. In posting this discussion, even with the hope of a logical discussion, then you should probably brace for sarcasm and negativity. Given all the negativity Brady has experienced, your neutral question likely invokes the thoughts of that thread to many who had the displeasure of reading it. If you didn't read that moronic conversation, then find it, read it, and understand why posters may not love revisiting the topic now (and no, I do not have that response but did post in that thread as to why the proposal was absurd). If you are surprised/hurt by the negative response, then I recommend perusing that lengthy discussion less than 2 years and 1 ring ago. The reaction may be less surprising after that read.

As an FYI, the "wise ass" is Ian (his site - we are mere posters and participants). I read the humor as to the topic generally, not to you and the thread.

If you are trying to be objective, and in response to the 39 year old question, then why do you say that age is the logical end? Usually that determination is performance based, but I would not be quick to call 4770 yds, 36 TDs, and a 103 rating a statistical dropoff. Brady is not a runner. Nor is he a gunslinger. Find a QB like him- both scheme and abilities- and tell me why it is ridiculous that he be around for several more years? The closest comparison I could think of is Montana, and he had a major spinal injury at age 30 and played 4 full seasons in his career. Brady has already played 30 more regular season games than Montana, and has not missed a game in 7 years. Montana's longest streak of consecutive games was 2 years, and that was early in his career. Healthwise, they are not comparable.

Brady does not carry a ton of extra weight (see him in person, and you would likely call him thin), so the knee wear is reduced. When a guy like Herschel Walker can even walk to an MMA fight at age 48, then I do not dismiss more years with Brady as improbable, let alone impossible. If you want to make that claim, then make the argument as to why (other than the general QB argument (QBs older than x have never thrown for y), without regard to circumstances and demonstrated longevity and performance).

OK, I will find that thread...seems I stepped on a minefield.

Thankfully Ian 'liked' my comment and didn't take it personally. This is an excellent site and the admin do a great job. I was just a bit taken aback and saw the post as a 'who let the cretin out of the funny farm' moment, when even if I am early, succession, when it happens, and how it happens are legitimate questions. Seems I may have been touchy.

You also make a compelling argument he can stay longer than I presumed. If that is the case, then this isn't an argument for today. Mine was a more general 'he is 39, he isn't likely to get younger, is now the time to think?'

Looking for a dispassionate look at life without Brady at the moment of all times was maybe naive, but all done out of love for the team :)

Just looking for the place where I said I wanted to trade Brady and roll the dice....will get back to you when I find that quote (nine disagree's on a QUESTION, not a statement. My word)

Really? This place.

If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?

If not, Jimmy may well be gone at the end of the year, as he is due to get paid.The option may well be watching Brady retire in a couple of years, and having a decade of useless QB's, and watching the Jets pound us!

More likely would be following your insane thoughts and the Jets pound us because they snapped up Brady in five nanoseconds and destroy us with him. I would rather gracefully walk to the finish with Brady than see him in a Jets uniform.

I prefer Mr. Wiseass - but it's O.K. ;)

Thankfully Ian 'liked' my comment and didn't take it personally. This is an excellent site and the admin do a great job.

And yes, it was nothing against you. I just knew this thread - or a facsimile of it - was coming, I just didn't know when and was surprised to see it this morning. You at least posed a question, back then we had some who believed it was really time to explore. It's something that will be worth discussing at some point, but I think until Brady starts showing signs of dropping off, any other QB on the depth chart - regardless of how well they play (which in New England, is expected anyway) - I think that unless Brady gets injured or can't do it anymore at a high level, I don't think they'll move on from him until he really starts turning the ball over or his completion percentage drops due to a surprising number of bad throws.

The guy is the epitome of who they want and he's who they look to and it's been obvious just in the past week in camp as a reminder of the bar he sets that everyone has to raise themselves to. Someday he'll be done, but man, it doesn't look like that day is anytime soon at the level he continues to be at.

More likely would be following your insane thoughts and the Jets pound us because they snapped up Brady in five nanoseconds and destroy us with him. I would rather gracefully walk to the finish with Brady than see him in a Jets uniform.

What are you on about? Go have a lie down. I looked at maybe a 41 year old Brady being at towards the end (shocking I know) and you have just traded him to the Jets for a five year period taking him to 46.

My Lord......

rofl.gif

I prefer Mr. Wiseass - but it's O.K. ;)

And yes, it was nothing against you. I just knew this thread - or a facsimile of it - was coming, I just didn't know when and was surprised to see it this morning. You at least posed a question, back then we had some who believed it was really time to explore. It's something that will be worth discussing at some point, but I think until Brady starts showing signs of dropping off, any other QB on the depth chart - regardless of how well they play (which in New England, is expected anyway) - I think that unless Brady gets injured or can't do it anymore at a high level, I don't think they'll move on from him until he really starts turning the ball over or his completion percentage drops due to a surprising number of bad throws.

The guy is the epitome of who they want and he's who they look to and it's been obvious just in the past week in camp as a reminder of the bar he sets that everyone has to raise themselves to. Someday he'll be done, but man, it doesn't look like that day is anytime soon at the level he continues to be at.

Hey...if we can keep Brady for a good few years, and there is no real drop off, there will be few people happier than me. Maybe as diet and training comes on age is just a number, or at least that number isn't what it meant 5 years ago.

25/25...........Always sell high

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand