PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is something no QB has yet done, and it will be interesting to see how effective it is.
The Kool-aid tasting good this AM?
I can't imagine why every other QB ignores tendon regimens that can maintain suppleness :)

Based on a full season in 2008, plenty of posters on this very board were convinced that Matt Cassel was the QB of the future and that the team was better off trading Brady.

Obviously the situation is different with Brady being 39 rather than 31, but the general point--that even a full season of borderline Pro Bowl play doesn't put a QB anywhere near Brady's league--is one that we should all bear in mind for 4 games.
Exactly, the situation is really different in many ways--Brady wouldn't draw the king's ransom he would have then, for starters.

I can't imagine why every other QB ignores tendon regimens that can maintain suppleness :)
It might have been reasonable to interpret it that way if I said it would definitely extend his career. If you'll notice, after destroying your notion of bone density being what ends QB careers, I stated "It is something no QB has yet done, and it will be interesting to see how effective it is". This implies that the effectiveness of his techniques are not yet known. You can mock Brady's approach if you want, but at 39 he's shown no sign of slowing down.

I understand the sarcasm--you're right of course that countless athletes, including QBs, have done all sorts of things to maintain longevity.

Having said that, not sure it's Kool-aid drinking to suggest Brady's worth looking at as a unique case. The guy's proven to be special, to say the least.

That is exactly it.

The last player off the field the other day wasn't the quarterback with the biggest start of his career looming in about a month, it was the 4 time champion, 16 year veteran with absolutely nothing left to prove. Posters looking too much into the future need to think about that for a minute.

There's just no substitute for that very rare instinct to excel to the best of one's ability and never take anything for granted. It's very special when that happens. Studying film at 3 a.m., doing exercise at halftime of a real game, refusing to eat a certain fruit because it has too much natural sugar.

For today's NBA kids, 100 shots is a real drill.. A couple hundred is rare, but necessary if you're on a bad streak.

For Larry Bird, 1,000 shots was just a warmup, something he did to start off most mornings.

It's been 24 years since he retired and the Celtics have had no luck drafting anyone who had anything near what he brought to the game.

This is a terrific post in support of Brady, but it also highlights how difficult it is going to be for his successor if he gets judged by the Brady standard.

I expected this question by week 2-ish given how things played out in 2008 and even moreso if Brady was a little rusty when he came back after 3-4 weeks. Going to be a long season I think :rolleyes:

I expected this question by week 2-ish given how things played out in 2008 and even moreso if Brady was a little rusty when he came back after 3-4 weeks. Going to be a long season I think :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think that the QB (be it Brady or Garoppolo) is going to be no so much of an issue this year......I think the defense is going to stomp the **** out of most every team they play. Consider:

Interior DL - they've gone full ****** with the beefcakes in the middle....between the fat boys Branch and Knighton, Malcolm Brown taking the obvious next step (this guy was a substantially better rookie than Wilfork was), and Vincent the animal, these guys are going to push the OL into the backfield on runs and passes and going to create huge opportunites for ......

DE's and LB's - are ALL basically in their contract years......talk about a hungry bunch

Secondary - CBs in their contract years combined with some very promising youth

OK wise ass....how long do you think Tom has left? This isn't 08 when he was 31 (the calls for Cassell to be the QB were moronic) To try and shut down debate on the future of a 39 year old QB by a patronising attitude is daft. I have said nothing about form, nothing about rust, nothing about JG being better today. I personally though Tom had one of his best seasons last year, considering the OL was made of Swiss cheese. This has been purely about the fact that at 39, he isn't gonna go on forever, and how we move forward as a franchise, as franchise stars don't just walk in the door, or magically appear at the exact draft you fancy

OK wise ass....how long do you think Tom has left? This isn't 08 when he was 31 (the calls for Cassell to be the QB were moronic) To try and shut down debate on the future of a 39 year old QB by a patronising attitude is daft. I have said nothing about form, nothing about rust, nothing about JG being better today. I personally though Tom had one of his best seasons last year, considering the OL was made of Swiss cheese. This has been purely about the fact that at 39, he isn't gonna go on forever, and how we move forward as a franchise, as franchise stars don't just walk in the door, or magically appear at the exact draft you fancy
HandThatFeedsYou_1.gif

I'm starting to think that the QB (be it Brady or Garoppolo) is going to be no so much of an issue this year......I think the defense is going to stomp the **** out of most every team they play. Consider:

Interior DL - they've gone full ****** with the beefcakes in the middle....between the fat boys Branch and Knighton, Malcolm Brown taking the obvious next step (this guy was a substantially better rookie than Wilfork was), and Vincent the animal, these guys are going to push the OL into the backfield on runs and passes and going to create huge opportunites for ......

DE's and LB's - are ALL basically in their contract years......talk about a hungry bunch

Secondary - CBs in their contract years combined with some very promising youth
I don't disagree. But I'm sure there will be some split opinions. It was an easier argument to shoot down in 2008 because of how much younger Brady was back then. Now that he's 8-years older, finding a successor is a reasonable thing to wonder about, and I'm sure it's going to be tougher when that time eventually comes :eek:

With another 3-4 years hopefully potentially in the tank for Brady, I think they'll ride this out and use Garoppolo to get them some currency to hopefully add some draft picks one more time for him. I think the only way they'd move him is if he really dropped off this year and we saw his turnover numbers skyrocket into double digits. INTs and completion percentage drop offs are generally the key indication of a QB's ability to see things and react quickly, so that will be the big thing to watch when he comes back. Hopefully we'll still have quite a while before that happens. Although I'm sure by Week 9 - essentially around the bye week - this thought will either die off, or gain steam. I'm sure it will be an interesting year.

I don't disagree. But I'm sure there will be some split opinions. It was an easier argument to shoot down in 2008 because of how much younger Brady was back then. Now that he's 8-years older, finding a successor is a reasonable thing to wonder about, and I'm sure it's going to be tougher when that time eventually comes :eek:

With another 3-4 years hopefully potentially in the tank for Brady, I think they'll ride this out and use Garoppolo to get them some currency to hopefully add some draft picks one more time for him. I think the only way they'd move him is if he really dropped off this year and we saw his turnover numbers skyrocket into double digits. INTs and completion percentage drop offs are generally the key indication of a QB's ability to see things and react quickly, so that will be the big thing to watch when he comes back. Hopefully we'll still have quite a while before that happens. Although I'm sure by Week 9 - essentially around the bye week - this thought will either die off, or gain steam. I'm sure it will be an interesting year.

I just look at Brady as 'playing with house money' now, but at his age the one thing that has not been tested on him is the ability to recover from an injury ..... in particular with his throwing arm/shoulder/neck

he can keep doing what he is doing for a few more years provided he doesn't get injured in that area.....if he does, I don't think he will ever be the same again

If Garoppolo succeeds my ideal would be to hopefully get Garoppolo signed to an extension that gives him plenty of money but is cap friendly for the years that Brady is still here......I just don't see the reality of Brady still playing beyond the current contract.

I get where the OP is going with this, but this whole discussion begins and ends with how Brady plays, not how Garoppolo plays. How well Garoppolo plays is a factor in whether the Pats resign him, not whether Brady is sent packing. Brady determines that.

Garoppolo is likely playing for a contract elsewhere or a chance to be the New England version of Aaron Rodgers.

I get where the OP is going with this, but this whole discussion begins and ends with how Brady plays, not how Garoppolo plays. How well Garoppolo plays is a factor in whether the Pats resign him, not whether Brady is sent packing. Brady determines that.

Garoppolo is likely playing for a contract elsewhere or a chance to be the New England version of Aaron Rodgers.

to a degree......If Garoppolo shows that well, you have to pit the future against sentimentality......I think how well Garoppolo plays absolutely has an impact on how BB is going to think about the QB's

to a degree......If Garoppolo shows that well, you have to pit the future against sentimentality......I think how well Garoppolo plays absolutely has an impact on how BB is going to think about the QB's

To a degree, sure, but that would only go so far. If Garoppolo plays well for those four games, but Brady comes out and plays like he did last year, I think you go with the guy who's playing at the higher level, and find a way to keep Garoppolo as insurance for the day when Brady finally does decline.

"If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?"

92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9.jpg

Brady was 25-25 in practice today. You wanna roll dice? Why?

Just looking for the place where I said I wanted to trade Brady and roll the dice....will get back to you when I find that quote (nine disagree's on a QUESTION, not a statement. My word)

Just looking for the place where I said I wanted to trade Brady and roll the dice....will get back to you when I find that quote (nine disagree's on a QUESTION, not a statement. My word)
Although I'm not one of the ones who disagreed, in addition to the question you posed, you made a couple of assertions in your post. Disagreements with such a post aren't necessarily invalid, and this post gives the appearance of thin skin.

Last edited:
To a degree, sure, but that would only go so far. If Garoppolo plays well for those four games, but Brady comes out and plays like he did last year, I think you go with the guy who's playing at the higher level, and find a way to keep Garoppolo as insurance for the day when Brady finally does decline.

you're saying the same thing......basically figuring out a way to keep Garoppolo if he plays well....I think it is possible for the pats to keep both for about the same price that some of the top paid guys get

it goes back to the adage of getting rid of someone a year too early rather than a year too late.....at some point, that holds true for Brady too.

If you have a good young QB in this scenario, you do what you have to to keep him.......leaving your pants down with the possibility of not having an NFL caliber QB on your roster is foolish

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes