PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And another

Oh, ok. Using Flynn isn't a ridiculous example though.

But people are saying there's lots of examples of QBs playing great then not panning out...I'm just not really sure that's true. I think a quarter of a season is going to be a pretty reliable indicator of who the guys is.
Andrew Luck, RG3, Romo, have played great at times but still ultimately suck.

Examples of QB Trades:

In March 2007, the Houston Texans acquired Schaub from the Falcons for second-round picks in 2007 and 2008 (wiki). He started one game in 2005 throwing 3 TDs vs. the Pats.

Kolb was traded to the Arizona Cardinals on July 28, 2011, in exchange for cornerbackDominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round draft pick in the 2012 NFL Draft (wiki). He started five games in 2010 for the Eagles throwing 7 TDs and 7 INTs.

Three outcomes for Jimmy G IMO:

1. He plays to the level of an Aaron Rodgers/Steve Young successor. He's almost untradeable at that point. Ride out Brady through 2017 and then make a decision.

2. (Most realistic) Jimmy G plays great/above average. He fetches either multiple 2nds, a 1st, or players to help the 2017 team.

3. Jimmy G plays mediocre/poorly resulting in next to no trade value.

He said there was no controversy in week 5....which there won't be. I am talking longer term

2016:

Week 5 game: 10/9
Trade deadline: 11/1

So, BB would have just 3 weeks to fish or cut bait on Brady, following week 5, and JAG is under contract through 2017. It's possible that BB has a stroke, or is attacked and struck on the head, causing mental problems but, other than that, there's not going to be a Brady trade.

Oh, ok. Using Flynn isn't a ridiculous example though.

But people are saying there's lots of examples of QBs playing great then not panning out...I'm just not really sure that's true. I think a quarter of a season is going to be a pretty reliable indicator of who the guys is.
Tony Eason
Derek Anderson
Rob Johnson
Ryan Tannehill
Colin Kaepernick
Nick Foles
Tommy Maddox
Rick Mirer
Matt Cassel
Jay Fiedler
Elvis Grbac
Steve Beuerlein
RG3
Rex Grossman
Jake Plummer
Mark Sanchez
Matthew Stafford

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Last edited:
Tony Eason
Derek Anderson
Rob Johnson
Ryan Tannehill
Colin Kaepernick
Nick Foles
Tommy Maddox
Rick Mirer
Matt Cassel
Jay Fiedler
Elvis Grbac
Steve Beuerlein
RG3
Rex Grossman
Jake Plummer
Mark Sanchez
Matthew Stafford

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.
Well, that's just kind of a list of quarterbacks. I realize terms haven't been defined so in some ways it's hard to figure the parameters, but a guy like Rick Mirer, say, was never one that you thought he would be great (once he was playing in the NFL).

Going by my own personal takes, of that list Kaepernick is probably the only guy who I thought might be a franchise guy who then really fell off the cliff. Of the rest, didn't they just sort of end up where you thought? Any genuine surprises?

Well, that's just kind of a list of quarterbacks. I realize terms haven't been defined so in some ways it's hard to figure the parameters, but a guy like Rick Mirer, say, was never one that you thought he would be great (once he was playing in the NFL).

Going by my own personal takes, of that list Kaepernick is probably the only guy who I thought might be a franchise guy who then really fell off the cliff. Of the rest, didn't they just sort of end up where you thought? Any genuine surprises?
It seems as though the criteria is changing. I was under the impression that the criteria was a QB played well for a short period of games and got a big contract. That is the criteria from which I came up with those quarterbacks. I think your hindsight is blinding you to the early potential of these QBs.

This was the set of parameters you originally set out:

When you're the only one who gets to decide whether or not a player fits the bill, it kind of slants the results (Not an evil, but a basic reality). Derek Anderson was actually an excellent example, yet you dismissed him out of hand.

Last edited:
It seems as though the criteria is changing. I was under the impression that the criteria was a QB played well for a short period of games and got a big contract. That is the criteria from which I came up with those quarterbacks. I think your hindsight is blinding you to the early potential of these QBs.
I didn't really list specific criteria so it's fair to say it would be muddled. Wasn't tied to a contract, though..said "QBs playing great then not panning out." So really subjective--all points granted.

Having said that, not a question of hindsight (I don't think). Just from a fan standpoint, I didn't look at those guys and think franchise QB, although admittedly how much am I watching the Lions.

When you're the only one who gets to decide whether or not a player fits the bill, it kind of slants the results (Not an evil, but a basic reality). Derek Anderson was actually an excellent example, yet you dismissed him out of hand.
Yep, that's fair. Was more or less going by my own impressions, which doesn't offer a ton of value in a thread (bar conversation maybe).

We all know that time waits for no man, and there will come a time where Brady goes. At that point, we will need a franchise QB, and when you are so strong elsewhere, they aren't going to fall into your lap.

Jimmy has a chance to shine. If, and it is a big if, BB thinks that Jimmy is a franchise QB, would you, in much the same way as SF and GB moved on from JM and BF to SY and AR, get rid of Brady and let the new era begin?

If not, Jimmy may well be gone at the end of the year, as he is due to get paid.

The option may well be watching Brady retire in a couple of years, and having a decade of useless QB's, and watching the Jets pound us!
I have always wondered if TB12 would end his career with the Niners. Seems like a win-win-win. Brady goes home, gets all the Montana love, and makes a ton of money while the Niners fill seats without really competing and the Patriots get to continue to compete at the highest level. I don't know any of the stakeholders well enough to have any kind of inkling as to whether this is plausible, but that is the only way I see Brady being traded.

I think it is VERY likely that TB12 will leave the Pats to take another position within the Kraft business. I don't see him coaching, but I can see Mr. Kraft paying him as a consultant or ambassador. Am I wandering off topic? I think TB12 has too much residual value to be traded into a situation that does not suit him.

Thread came even earlier than I expected. Gotta be a new record.

I would keep TB if he threw Int's all day long. I'm a sucker. I hate the MFL and I like TB. That's pretty much my recent feelings about the National Farce League. TB is the real deal, BB is the real deal. Probably the last of the legit members of this joke. I'm going down with the ship.

What if Brisset looks the next franchise QB?

Do we trade Brady and JG?

If we're going to create "What if" threads about QB's we haven't seen play one meaningful f'ing snap we might as well include both.

Anyone can be traded. There is absolutely no loyalty in team sports

This is why I laugh when people get angry at athletes looking out for their own self interest

ff704a3dddfc5449b6c41985c5a4d1ed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday