PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If a movie was made about Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, who would star in it?

1639579115092.png
This mask would look all right in a movie

Schwartz as Mac Jones (maybe he's in an after credits scene).

schwartz.jpeg

Barstool did a good job at all the NFL coaches.

Casting Every NFL Head Coach Now That Kevin James Is Sean Payton

Those two really showed the world that Good Will Hunting was their own original screenplay. Just look at all those masterpieces since that one. :whistle:
They've starred many excellent movies since then, so I'm not sure why this is even funny.

I think Russell Crowe would do a good Belichick, but if he had to he could step in for Bill O'Brien.

Hardest to cast: Reche Caldwell and Josh McDaniels.

Gene Hackman to play bb . Voice is a bit off but he can make you hate him in seconds.

Leo D to play Brady. I just like them Both so much ( I’m a straight male)

Christopher Reid as Tiquan Underwood.

Christopher Reid - Kid'n'Play - signed 8 x 10

And for Giselle:

1639577439258.jpeg

They've starred many excellent movies since then, so I'm not sure why this is even funny.

Which screenplays did they write? I guess you’re not familiar with the persistent rumor that they didn’t actually write the screenplay for Good Will Hunting, for which they won an Academy and launched their careers.

Which screenplays did they write? I guess you’re not familiar with the persistent rumor that they didn’t actually write the screenplay for Good Will Hunting, for which they won an Academy and launched their careers.

Wait what. Link please. I think there were jokes that Damon wrote the whole thing while Affleck hung out. What's the rumor that neither wrote it (then who did)? Seems a lot more plausible that Damon wrote a big chunk and Affleck chimed in a bit. Some of those jokes in that movie are way too local for some random writer to have come up with that stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard JFK jr actually wrote it.

Wait what. Link please. I think there were jokes that Damon wrote the whole thing while Affleck hung out. What's the rumor that neither wrote it (then who did)? Seems a lot more plausible that Damon wrote a big chunk and Affleck chimed in a bit. Some of those jokes in that movie are way too local for some random writer to have come up with that stuff.

The widely held rumor is that William Goldman wrote it, though he denies it. Script "doctoring" could mean a lot of things though. If you Google William Goldman Good Will Hunting, there's plenty of hits. There was also a guy who attended MIT in 2018 who claimed the basic outline of the script was his idea. Then there's the rumor it was someone else; Kevin Smith comes up a lot. I thought the rumors were false, but it's been 25 years and have either Damon or Affleck written anything good, ever? I haven't seen anything.

This is speculation, of course. The same kind of speculation that led to years of persistent rumors that Goldman secretly wrote the bulk of the Good Will Hunting script that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won the Oscar for. Goldman has always denied having any involvement beyond backing up Rob Reiner’s suggestion that the boys eschew their earlier conspiracy-thriller angle and focus on Will’s relationships with his therapist and his girlfriend. Still, it’s been hard for hardcore cinephiles to divorce themselves from the delicious notion that “I’m going to see about a girl” came from the same pen that wrote all those other famous lines we’re always quoting.

The widely held rumor is that William Goldman wrote it, though he denies it. Script "doctoring" could mean a lot of things though. If you Google William Goldman Good Will Hunting, there's plenty of hits. There was also a guy who attended MIT in 2018 who claimed the basic outline of the script was his idea. Then there's the rumor it was someone else; Kevin Smith comes up a lot. I thought the rumors were false, but it's been 25 years and have either Damon or Affleck written anything good, ever? I haven't seen anything.

This is speculation, of course. The same kind of speculation that led to years of persistent rumors that Goldman secretly wrote the bulk of the Good Will Hunting script that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won the Oscar for. Goldman has always denied having any involvement beyond backing up Rob Reiner’s suggestion that the boys eschew their earlier conspiracy-thriller angle and focus on Will’s relationships with his therapist and his girlfriend. Still, it’s been hard for hardcore cinephiles to divorce themselves from the delicious notion that “I’m going to see about a girl” came from the same pen that wrote all those other famous lines we’re always quoting.

I hear you. But I don't buy it. I'm familiar with Goldman's scripts. I don't think this movie is his style. Goldman certainly did review a ton of scripts as a sort of filter/consultant. I doubt he wrote the movie, it's possible he helped edit it especially as they brought on a big name like Williams and beefed up the psychologist role. It feels like a movie local boys like Damon (and a bit Affleck) would write. Also pretty sure Damon and Bill Simmons (plus Goldman) talked about this on the Ringer in the past, I don't think it's possible 4-5 people would all lie about it.

OT
I hadn't even heard the rumors beforehand but, after I saw the movie, my immediate reaction to the film was that I found it hard to believe that they had the life experience to write some of the lines given to Robin Williams, especially his famous monologue and when he's talking about his late wife...a lot of living beyond their years went into some of those lines as well as to the dialogues between Williams and Damon.

But, it's more than credible to ascribe the Cambridge and MIT scenes to them as well as the relationships with Driver and Skarsgård.

In the final analysis, they wouldn't be the first screen writers to include unattributed "suggestions" from friends or, in Affleck's case, family, in a script.

PS Edit: It's almost impossible to believe that anyone besides the two of them wrote the bulk of the screenplay. The risk of exposure, if proven, would just be too great. And, sooner or later someone would talk...it's an Oscar after all.

Last edited:
I hear you. But I don't buy it. I'm familiar with Goldman's scripts. I don't think this movie is his style. Goldman certainly did review a ton of scripts as a sort of filter/consultant. I doubt he wrote the movie, it's possible he helped edit it especially as they brought on a big name like Williams and beefed up the psychologist role. It feels like a movie local boys like Damon (and a bit Affleck) would write. Also pretty sure Damon and Bill Simmons (plus Goldman) talked about this on the Ringer in the past, I don't think it's possible 4-5 people would all lie about it.

Perhaps it wasn't Goldman. But how do you explain this? It isn't that Damon hasn't had a huge hit like that again; it's that nothing he's done would suggest he's even capable of an all-time great script like GWH.

1639597844690.png

I mean...it's an uproven rumor. I can't prove it. But I don't believe Matt Damon or Ben Affleck wrote the bulk of GWH which makes it exceptional. Maybe they wrote the outline or came up with the idea, but there's just no way in hell that I can believe these guys wrote that script. It would be one of the only times someone has ever written an absolute masterpiece like that and then never even attempted to come up with something again. Add in the very persistent rumors, and I think something is really fishy here.

Terrence Malick did suggest an alternative ending that the duo went with.

Perhaps it wasn't Goldman. But how do you explain this? It isn't that Damon hasn't had a huge hit like that again; it's that nothing he's done would suggest he's even capable of an all-time great script like GWH.

View attachment 38889

I mean...it's an uproven rumor. I can't prove it. But I don't believe Matt Damon or Ben Affleck wrote the bulk of GWH which makes it exceptional. Maybe they wrote the outline or came up with the idea, but there's just no way in hell that I can believe these guys wrote that script. It would be one of the only times someone has ever written an absolute masterpiece like that and then never even attempted to come up with something again. Add in the very persistent rumors, and I think something is really fishy here.

It's interesting.

If you look at Goldman's scripts, none of them really explain GWH. It's not his humor or style.
I also think Damon/Affleck aren't really interested in screenwriting. They have said in interviews they realized they had to make their own thing in order to break into hollywood, they had done smaller acting roles prior. So maybe they wrote 1 and didn't really care to screenwrite others.

If you look at Gerry, wasn't this written by Van Sant. Same on the other 2, other names. How do you know they didn't just lend their name to help a buddy out later on. Affleck has also proven himself as a director since then.

I dunno, I think it's unfair to say Damon/Affleck didn't have it in them to make this one. And it isn't really in character that Goldman wrote GWH. I do believe he probably helped review/edit it, I mean he was basically reviewing/vetting a ton of movies during a 2-decade period.

A younger Clint Eastwood for BB: "We're on to Cincinnati...understand?"

Matt Damon for Brady.

Ralph Lauren (if he can act) for Kraft

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back