PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
What would you expect a 2nd year QB to have as far as TD's and INT's?
The same numbers as the next lottery drawing for Powerball as such predictions have about the same chance of coming true. Every situation is different and should be treated as such.

The same numbers as the next lottery drawing for Powerball as such predictions have about the same chance of coming true. Every situation is different and should be treated as such.
Really, you wouldn't want to see some growth from the year before, or at least similar numbers? What year QB should we say 4 TD's to 7 INT's is an ok stat line 10 games into the season?

Mac defenders will bend over backwards to justify his absolutely horrible production.

Mac defenders will bend over backwards to justify his absolutely horrible production.
Interesting definition of production defense you have. I've been pretty clear that Jones is NOT playing well, but what I don't defend is the concept that there is a predictable 'from draft to the field' map for each and every player.

The same things were said about Uche the past two years, Wise the past five, Meyers as well. Decisions that are made only in the short term and based on only a single input or variable...are simply uninformed ones and fortune telling at its finest.

Really, you wouldn't want to see some growth from the year before, or at least similar numbers? What year QB should we say 4 TD's to 7 INT's is an ok stat line 10 games into the season?

On Thanksgiving we should all be grateful that Mac is not Josh Rosen, Zack Wilson, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf or any of the other first round QB's that completely flamed out in the NFL. While the results have not been great he has demonstrated resilience and has the respect of the team. I don't know if Mac is the answer, I do know that teams that don't invest in developing their QBs or expect their QBs to single handedly save the franchise spend year after year frustrating their fans.

Hoping for a Thanksgiving day miracle.

Interesting definition of production defense you have. I've been pretty clear that Jones is NOT playing well, but what I don't defend is the concept that there is a predictable 'from draft to the field' map for each and every player.

The same things were said about Uche the past two years, Wise the past five, Meyers as well. Decisions that are made only in the short term and based on only a single input or variable...are simply uninformed ones and fortune telling at its finest.
I was very skeptical of the low ceiling, high floor arguments many of the media put out there last year. Right now, Mac is living up to that billing, except defenses have him figured out to an extent and he's not adapting.

They know he can't read pressure at all, he often locks onto one side of the field, and his pocket presence and mechanics are meh

LOL Mac Jones isn't even in the same area code as Lamar Jackson. I find it interesting that posters talk **** about other NFL QBs to try to uplift Mac who has just played sh$$ty football this season. Sure I can understand there are a few excuses to be had with the sh$$ty offensive coaching of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, but BB made his bed now he has to lie in it. You can try to polish a TURD all you want but the Patriots offense this year is still a TURD, and Mac Jones is responsible for much of that TURD product. That's not enough to let him off the hook. He needs to play better. PERIOD.
First of all, you COMPLETELY misstated the intent of my post in order to facilitate you own VERY angry negative narrative.

2nd, even a child with a 4th grade reading level would have been able to comprehend that my comments about Jackson pertained to the fact that as a great run threat, he faces a MUCH higher risk of injury than most QB's, which history has born out to be true. Both Fields and Jackson have spent a significant time on the sideline during their careers.

3rd you completely choose to ignore ANYTHING positive about ANY part of Mac Jones' game. An 83% completion rate, 100 QB rating, and 250yds against a top 5 defense and you don't see anything positive about that?

I DO understand the frustration about coaching situation, the OL play, and the LACK of TD's in the redzone, but the shear virolance of your invective is shocking. Take a chill pill, man, because you have COMPLETELY have missed the fact that this team has won 5 of its last 6 games, while you await hopefully for the next mistake that you can jump on and place blame. Your head must be a horrible place to be in.

Edit - While I stand by everything I wrote VIC, I apologize for my OWN vitriol in the way I stated it.

Last edited:
If our OL could reliably pass protect, this team would be clicking. That’s really what needs to be solved. But easier said than done. Not healthy and weren’t playing that well when they had health.
Spot on! If a Teams O line is in disarray like ours you see offensive showings like we have put out.. the offensive line is the main problem, make has no time to step up into throws, what should happen going forward is allowing Mac to use his legs to make plays.. he's a better athlete than he gets credit for..

Spot on! If a Teams O line is in disarray like ours you see offensive showings like we have put out.. the offensive line is the main problem, make has no time to step up into throws, what should happen going forward is allowing Mac to use his legs to make plays.. he's a better athlete than he gets credit for..
Also, I can imagine that this experience behind a challenged O-line will help him in the long run. His decision-making ability has no choice but to speed up. Granted right now he isn't up to the task mentally to deal with such quick pressure, but I can't imagine how this will not pay dividends going forward for future games/seasons. I like that he has already made adjustments to the quick pressure, especially his decisions to not throw potential interceptions. I think the coaching staff must have beat that through after the Chicago game and convinced him that the defense is the strength of the team and if you keep turning the ball over you will sit on the sidelines. I'm looking for baby steps and steady improvement until January. Once they are in the tournament at the end of the year, all bets are off, anything can happen.

Also, I can imagine that this experience behind a challenged O-line will help him in the long run. His decision-making ability has no choice but to speed up. Granted right now he isn't up to the task mentally to deal with such quick pressure, but I can't imagine how this will not pay dividends going forward for future games/seasons. I like that he has already made adjustments to the quick pressure, especially his decisions to not throw potential interceptions. I think the coaching staff must have beat that through after the Chicago game and convinced him that the defense is the strength of the team and if you keep turning the ball over you will sit on the sidelines. I'm looking for baby steps and steady improvement until January. Once they are in the tournament at the end of the year, all bets are off, anything can happen.
Very true, however the team did not aid by by changing the offense. Bringing in non offensive minded coaches. That along with the line play had regressed Mac. Mac had had structural offensive scheme since college. This season has just been weird.. don't know what to expect from game to game.. however no matter however it turns out if the offense can show a pulse and Mac can have games similar like last week 250- 280 yards, hopefully 1,2 touchdowns, high completion % then it would really inspire optimism

my immediate response is to go back to what Bedard said. In his column he pointed out there was only ONE sack where Mac had more than 3 seconds before he was hit. The rest ranged from 2.0 to 2.7. His thought was on two of them Mac had a RB open quickly but passed that up to go down field. The rest be pretty much had no chance. He thought (and I agree) that the entire operation looked bad. Too often receivers had their heads still upfield when the QB was ready to throw the ball. In other words SOMETIMES they were uncoordinated

Sounds like you are nitpicking, BUT now I'll go and check out your link. (THANK you very much for giving that to us), and come back at some point with an apology or an "I told you so". ;)
Oh no doubt the time was lower than average but this league is about making the tough plays Ken. Everyone, no matter how great, has their limits but you're drafted at 15 to make those plays. Expectation talk about Mac shouldn't be off limits and we're talking about 6 sacks!
"Nitpicking" wouldn't be the word I'd use considering how much the QB has to do with identification, handling pressure and being in the moment. We all know good QB's will make their lines better. Nothing is black and white and I'm not saying most of these are 100% on Mac but I absolutely believe he has some blame. Which again isn't nitpicking, it's actually paying attention to details.

So many are focused solely on whether it's Mac, the OL, Matty P. When there's other details that matter a lot! I'm not solely putting 100% on Mac but what about his overall pocket presence and feel for the rush? Footwork, union between the upper and lower half. You know it won't get easier when you play the best teams so those things are important. I mean youre a former coach. How many times have you walked off a field and said "i got nothing for you guys, youre all great" No, everyone could step there game up here, win or lose. No one is beyond criticism when you're a bottom 5 - 10 offense brother.

This is a good example of what i mean from above. This obviously isnt solely on Mac but he just isn't helping himself here either. Working himself right into harms way. 3rd and long, you have to feel that and he has Rham as a safety net. Tough play but when you're 2nd in sack %, take less sacks if you can avoid it.
Also this is why I hate the two hand approach with tackles. Cancels your reach and length and too often leaves you off-balance. It's a nice card to play when the time calls for it and you can really level someone but few and far between.

I'll admit I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here bc I hate screenshots. So ill admit im a dirty rotten loser. The context just isn't there most of the time but sometimes they do some justice.
Saf hips are going up field, design directly or indirectly clears a lane. Tough play but this ball could be fired in there to Henry or chucked to flat.
Screenshot_20221123-090224_Samsung Internet.jpg
Things take time to develop but he's too slow back there. That ball should coming into 85 chest or thrown away. Every single week I'm seeing that pass thrown before the target is fully around. Tough play but again this league is about making the tough plays.

Another one here. Tough play but my goodness there's no feel at all until its too late. It's 2023 and I keep hearing about the athlete Mac is but there's nothing quick about him back there. He can pick up some yards on occasion but there's 0 quick twitch in those feet.

This was a good tendency breaker by NY. They dont blitz much and are very effective rushing 4 but that doesnt excuse the lack of awareness here. Something that's been plaguing him for a while now - second level pressure. Definitely some confusion - screen or fake screen but again doesn't excuse the lack of awareness. This is supposed to be an area of strength. Idk everything presnap says he might be coming and 37 kicking out just multiples that.

It's certainly not all on Mac Ken but he there are more than a few areas that need real improvement going forward.

First of all, you COMPLETELY misstated the intent of my post in order to facilitate you own VERY angry negative narrative.

2nd, even a child with a 4th grade reading level would have been able to comprehend that my comments about Jackson pertained to the fact that as a great run threat, he faces a MUCH higher risk of injury than most QB's, which history has born out to be true. Both Fields and Jackson have spent a significant time on the sideline during their careers.

3rd you completely choose to ignore ANYTHING positive about ANY part of Mac Jones' game. An 83% completion rate, 100 QB rating, and 250yds against a top 5 defense and you don't see anything positive about that?

I DO understand the frustration about coaching situation, the OL play, and the LACK of TD's in the redzone, but the shear virolance of your invective is shocking. Take a chill pill, man, because you have COMPLETELY have missed the fact that this team has won 5 of its last 6 games, while you await hopefully for the next mistake that you can jump on and place blame. Your head must be a horrible place to be in.

Edit - While I stand by everything I wrote VIC, I apologize for my OWN vitriol in the way I stated it.
First of all, this is a Patriots forum, not a Colts forum. We don't give out prizes for 'participation trophies'. You can't expect the fans following a team that has won 6 championships over the past 20 years to have the same low standards as a Colts fan or worse a Jets fan.

Secondly, injuries can cause talented players to miss games. That's just the NFL. That doesn't change the fact that Lamar Jackson is one of the top QBs in the NFL and Mac Jones is not even in the same category. In fact, based on Mac Jones play in 2022 he is in the bottom tier of the NFL.

Let's slow down the "emotional" narrative here and take a look at bare stark facts.

As of today Mac Jones stats on ESPN:

1669318381841.png

Total yardage: 29th in the NFL, Total TD passes, 32nd in the NFL, INTs 19th in the NFL, QBR 29th in the NFL. Those are the stats of a very BOTTOM TIER quarterback. No BS, no blowing sunshine up your backside, those are just the facts ma'am.

Please try not to take this stuff personally. If we were to give a fair midseason grade to specific units so far, the offense would get an F, the defense an A, the ST would get a B+, based on the fact that Nick Folk has been outstanding even if Bailey has been bottom tier, and you add in the special teams blocks and returns for TDs that have boosted us to wins despite how turd-like the Patriots offense has been.

This frustration with the offense is not just something that comes from the fans. Kendrick Bourne, one of our top contributors on offense last year had a big problem with the 'new offense' and he wasn't the only one, he was just the most outspoken.

If we look back the controversy started before the season even began when BB made the gamble of not hiring an offensive coordinator to replace departing OC Josh Mcdaniels. He only compounded the problem when he brought in Joe Judge, for pennies on the dollar, who had ruined Daniel Jones in New York, and had previously led the Giants to back to back seasons of 31st rated offenses in the NFL. BB might have wanted to pinch some pennies, and some might have even praised him as a 'genius' yet again if his gamble had paid off. But here's the problem his gamble has BACKFIRED and we have one of the worst offenses in the league, with one of the worst young Quarterbacks, who might have ended up RUINED by Joe Judge's inept "QB Whisperings".

When the standard in New England is competing for championships, this season has been a huge step BACKWARDS, in that quest for another Lombardi. And the fans who have been following this team for a long time and have seen better days have every right to demand better from the team and from the decisionmaker up top who has led us into the current state of affairs. This Patriots team recently made the playoffs in 2021 and got decidedly BLOWN OUT by Buffalo in the playoffs.

Fans reasonably expected to see some improvements in the team, another playoff appearance, and some incremental improvements to give hope we'd do better than last year. There are no signs of such improvement, in fact there are signs of clear REGRESSION. It is the duty of a fan who cares about his team to point out when the team has weaknesses or makes huge mistakes, not to clap like mindless seals at everything BB does whether right or WRONG.

Last edited:
Oh no doubt the time was lower than average but this league is about making the tough plays Ken. Everyone, no matter how great, has their limits but you're drafted at 15 to make those plays. Expectation talk about Mac shouldn't be off limits and we're talking about 6 sacks!
"Nitpicking" wouldn't be the word I'd use considering how much the QB has to do with identification, handling pressure and being in the moment. We all know good QB's will make their lines better. Nothing is black and white and I'm not saying most of these are 100% on Mac but I absolutely believe he has some blame. Which again isn't nitpicking, it's actually paying attention to details.

So many are focused solely on whether it's Mac, the OL, Matty P. When there's other details that matter a lot! I'm not solely putting 100% on Mac but what about his overall pocket presence and feel for the rush? Footwork, union between the upper and lower half. You know it won't get easier when you play the best teams so those things are important. I mean youre a former coach. How many times have you walked off a field and said "i got nothing for you guys, youre all great" No, everyone could step there game up here, win or lose. No one is beyond criticism when you're a bottom 5 - 10 offense brother.

This is a good example of what i mean from above. This obviously isnt solely on Mac but he just isn't helping himself here either. Working himself right into harms way. 3rd and long, you have to feel that and he has Rham as a safety net. Tough play but when you're 2nd in sack %, take less sacks if you can avoid it.
Also this is why I hate the two hand approach with tackles. Cancels your reach and length and too often leaves you off-balance. It's a nice card to play when the time calls for it and you can really level someone but few and far between.

I'll admit I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here bc I hate screenshots. So ill admit im a dirty rotten loser. The context just isn't there most of the time but sometimes they do some justice.
Saf hips are going up field, design directly or indirectly clears a lane. Tough play but this ball could be fired in there to Henry or chucked to flat.
View attachment 47566
Things take time to develop but he's too slow back there. That ball should coming into 85 chest or thrown away. Every single week I'm seeing that pass thrown before the target is fully around. Tough play but again this league is about making the tough plays.

Another one here. Tough play but my goodness there's no feel at all until its too late. It's 2023 and I keep hearing about the athlete Mac is but there's nothing quick about him back there. He can pick up some yards on occasion but there's 0 quick twitch in those feet.

This was a good tendency breaker by NY. They dont blitz much and are very effective rushing 4 but that doesnt excuse the lack of awareness here. Something that's been plaguing him for a while now - second level pressure. Definitely some confusion - screen or fake screen but again doesn't excuse the lack of awareness. This is supposed to be an area of strength. Idk everything presnap says he might be coming and 37 kicking out just multiples that.

It's certainly not all on Mac Ken but he there are more than a few areas that need real improvement going forward.

Visual and detailed proof that Mac Jones is just not getting it in his 2nd season. Thanks for the breakdown.

Mac Jones has regressed in 2022. I know there are a lot of people on the Zappe bandwagon and they are justified. That's because of plays like this from Mac Jones. His lack of pocket awareness and presence this year has been atrocious. He misses open receivers, he throws interceptions, he doesn't buy time in the pocket or out of the pocket. In the '2022' version of this Patriots offense frankenstein that Patricia and Judge have put together, Mac Jones looks doomed for failure. So why not get a more mobile QB in there who can make some plays on the run when the protection breaks down?

What's actually going to happen? Will BB become the dinosaur who can't change his ways and becomes extinct or will he actually have the guts to admit he was wrong and make some changes whether it's the QB, the offensive playcaller, or all of the above?

When the standard in New England is competing for championships
Standard?

No, it's fan expectation. "...competing for championships" is every team's in the NFL "standard" otherwise why even field a team if it isn't? At least if you'd instead harkened back to the Patriots' hallmark or precedent or other historically focused word you could stand proudly on it as the superior POV. Instead you fall into the Shakespearian "what is past is prologue" trap thinking that what different Patriots days gone by teams have done somehow translates into what will happen moving forward.

When the standard in New England is competing for championships, this season has been a huge step BACKWARDS, in that quest for another Lombardi.
You might want to check the win/loss record comparison of the two seasons...under your definition a huge step is...the exact same record at this point in the year to the last.

Has the offense taken a huge statistical step back? Absolutely, but the "entire season" is hyperbole at this point.

The offense as a whole, from the OL to the QB to the coaching staff may well indeed be the fatal flaw of this years' team, but "step backwards" basically states its fait accompli that everything on the offense is unworthy of our fandom, is unsalvageable/will never improve, and should be summarily dismissed now if not sooner.

There are no signs of such improvement, in fact there are signs of clear REGRESSION.
No signs at all across the entirety of the offense? Probably should release Rham tomorrow then - let him hook up with a team more worthy of his non-improvement. Same with Meyers. While some have regressed, like definitely Mac Jones, others haven't - it's just way easier to paint with the wider brushstroke.

The defense definitely looks the same as last year too doesn't it? I mean what is now, 9 straight games without a punt by the opposing offenses? Either the entire team improves or nothing does, I guess.

It's not mindless...it's mindset. You only see the worst in the Patriots and cannot wait to crow about it - your historical record of posts proves that out. Others see the bad and the good, while yet others just support regardless of outcome. It takes all kinds - just embrace whichever tribe you happen to belong to.

View attachment 47566

This is what I've been saying. Mac and zappe pocket movement/presence is night and day.

Mac had very low pocket awareness even in his rookie year. In the first 5 games of his rookie year, he was constantly making his line look bad by moving out of protection and directly into pressure. He got better as the year went on, but he's never been able to consistently recognize the blitz and rotate protection or find his outlet receiver in a pinch.

Zappe's pocket presence is a thing of beauty compared to Mac. He makes heads up plays, keeps his eyes downfield and seems to do a really good job recognizing coverages.

The other really big issue I see with Mac is he's not processing the defense well at all. They don't want him to have his back to the D very often at all. He's in shotgun like 80% or more of the time. That tells me they want him to have as much time as possible to read coverages. That removes a huge aspect of your game since play action can be so successful, especially when you have such a good run game. They had no problem putting Zappe under center and running play action.

The eye test just says Mac isn't doing a lot of things really well and the stats test says 4TD and 7 INT on the season means the eye test is correct

No one said he should be off limits. He's a 2nd year QB who SHOULD be at a better place than what he is, given what a good year he had as a rookie. It surely has been disappointing. But there are a NUMBER of reasons beyond his personal responsibilities. The changes in the offensive system itself, the obvious coaching changes, the OL injuries, and the loss of White and Montgomery.

You know that for a LONG time I've touted Mac's latent athletic ability he showed by hs excellent 3-cone time and his decent (4,8) forty time. However that plus athleticism has not YET translated to the field. So far this season he's had almost zero escapability when pressure is on him. Even Brady showed much more with a whole lot less. THIS aspect more than anything else has been the greatest disappointment for me in Mac's game.

Nitpicking was a term I used to describe VIC's shoddy analysis, because NOTHING Mac will every do will be enough for several posters on this board. Because you at least try and document your opinions differentiates yourself from them

Your right about how you view coaching football because in coaching it is NEVER about how good the individual athletes are that you are coaching, it is your sacred RESPONSIBILITY to make them better. I had 4 guys I coached make it to the NFL, and I've had a lot more kids who couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Didn't matter. It was your job, regardless of where they started from, to make them better by the end of the year.

I thought the Jeff Saturday hire was a joke, but he pretty much said the same thing after his tough loss last week. In my eyes that is starting to look like a much better hire than we all imagined.

View attachment 47566
I have NEVER said that Mac should be absolved of all of these sacks, and worse yet the 48 yds lost. BUT it is way too easy to second guess decisions with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight. Because if he HAD thrown the ball immediately out to the flat here, there would be those who would counter that he SHOULD have thrown it down field.

But as I look at this screen shot he COULD have been looking to throw the ball to the guy heading up the seam, looking to run him behind the S at the top of screen and if he drops off to cover that receiver, throw it to the WR who looks like he was doing a deep in cut.

So much is subject to interpretation. But yes it would have been better for all if had simply thrown it to the flat.

So yes there are a plethora of reasons why Mac hasn't progressed as much as we hoped. Things he NEEDS to improve on in the last 7 weeks. Better general pocket awareness, More decisive decision making. More escapability and avoiding sacks with good throw aways.

But I still fail to understand why the "blamers" fail to recognize that the 250 passing yards, the 83% completion rate, and the zero TO's were clear improvements and give the man some credit

To that end, this is what the Pats HAVE to do tonight to win. Cut the sacks in half. Cut the penalty yds in half and score at least 2 TD's. If they can manage that against a weaker D, then they will be in the game in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Not perfect, but he's playing a lot more like the Mac that got OROY conversation tonight.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back