PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- the sad day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm leaving in a little bit to go camping on the cape this weekend, so i won't be able to post any more videos for now.

you can click on the link in my signature for some videos through the 3rd quarter of the game (un-labelled for now)--chances are you might find one you're looking for. i cross-reference the plays with the play-by-play on nfl.com, so that might make it easier for you to search for a particular play:

Watch New England Patriots vs. New York Giants [09/01/2016] - NFL.com

have a safe and fun labor day weekend!

My Thoughts on last night's game:
1) F**K NFLNetwork for cutting from the game with more than 2 minutes left to put the camera on that Douchebag Kaepernick.

2) I think the DE rotation with Flowers and Long as back-ups to Ninkovich and Sheard will be better than last year.

3) Anthony Johnson is living up to his nickname "Freak". He played excellent against the pass and did well against the run. The only way the Giants stopped him last night was grabbing his jersey.

4) The only time I saw Valentine get pushed back was when the Giants started off with a double-team on him.

5) Kuhn is gone. I think there was one play where he wasn't blown off the line by at least 3 yards.

6) I'm probably one of the few that believes that Coleman will be cut.. He made 2 plays, but was beaten several times where the Giants didn't connect. Also, didn't show a ton of awareness after he caused the fumble and the ball was rolling around at his feet.

7) On the 2 PT Conversion attempt. If failed because Waddle and Fleming left their feet in attempts to cut block the DEs and both failed miserably.

8) As much as I'm pulling for KGH, the long kick-off return was partially his fault because he left his lane.

9) The KING TD was solely because the Giants O-line held Johnson. Otherwise, Johnson had Nassib sacked. And yes, they were pulling his jersey.

10) The holding call on Martin where he got hurt was total BS.

11) Carter didn't do anything to stand out last night. In fact, except for one play where Brissett didn't see him underneath, Carter really didn't get open.

12) Kline was horrible at center. I hope they give John Sullivan a call because Kline at center will be worse than Damien Woody shot-gun snaps..

13) DJ Foster needs to be given credit for his pass protection. I re-watched the game and didn't see a time he missed his assignment.

14) DJ Foster ran the ball inside twice and gained 6 yards. He got what was there. Twice, when nothing was there, he bounced it outside. Got 9 yards on one and taken down on the other because Barker couldn't hold a block to save his life.

Based on last night:

Released:
Kuhn, Hamilton, Vellano, Snyder, Sunseri, Harper, Carter, Halapio, Barker, Fleming, Grissom, Harbor, Williams, Iosefa, Rufus Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Gaffney, Josh Kline

Released or IRed: Elandon Roberts, Devin Lucien, Keyshawn Martin

Reserve / Suspended: Brady
Not sure what will happen with Amendola. If PUP, then the Pats will have another space to fill.

Last edited:
"Another great outing for Brisset." Oh yes no hits, no runs, plenty of errors . Having a shutout pitched at you is a spectacular non achievement.

Brissett had several runs. And the "shutout" was through no fault of his own. The holding call on Martin was complete BS. That should have been a TD. Considering how badly Barker and Halapio played, it's a wonder that Brissett didn't get hit more..

Brissett really has looked exceptional. Entirely in command, accurate, clearly leading the team. Doesn't seem out of his depth at all. His play this preseason makes the idea that JAG is traded this offseason a much stronger certainty in my mind than I've ever allowed.

AJ Derby is a stud, and has clearly outplayed Harbour in the preseason. That said, I think BB keeps them both, plus Develin as well. There are enough groundbreaking things JM can do with a roster full of big guys who can block and catch.

Dobson is D O N E done done done. Even during his best game in a Pats uni, ever, the clincher for me was his lame incompletion in the end zone against the 4th string Giants defense, where (despite being by far the tallest guy in the area), Dobson waited for the ball to come down so he could basket-catch the ball against his chest, instead of going up and TAKING it. What's the use of being big and tall when Amendola high points the ball better than that? I've got no remorse in cutting him at all, because with the talent at TE, the receiving ability shown by Foster (and White, of course) a receiving corp with Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Martin, Slater and Mitchell has everything I could wish for. For those who are desperate for a big, strong receiver on the outside, please take another look at our depth at TE and give the situation a little more thought.

DJ Foster was electrifying against the Giants. Tuck the ball away, son. That's right; high and tight.

Cameron Fleming has been awful. On a roster where we're choosing between multiple players who deserve to make the team. It sure looks like we're being forced to pick between Fleming and Waddle as the depth... blech. I'm hoping BB sits on the waiver wire and picks up a veteran JAG swing tackle to come in and make that choice irrelevant. Even a past-prime guy in his last year before retirement, that'd be perfect. We can spend an early pick (or two) at the position in next year's draft.

Thuney has been a rock. Terrific to see. I watched Kline get burned a few times against the Giants, but his versatility on the interior line counts for something. Here's hoping Mason gets healthy soon, because that is our future. Andrews won me over during his rookie year, he's got nothing more to prove to me. An interior line of Thuney - Andrews - Mason for the next decade sounds just fine to me.

Defensive side, how amazing has Chris Long been? Hard to understate how hard it is for a veteran to come into Foxboro and belong. Long has been disciplined, powerful, disruptive. He doesn't overplay the ball, doesn't fall for the screen pass, has a full bag of pass rush tricks. He has fit right into the system, regularly looking like a man among boys. What an overlooked signing he's turned out to be, with the media spotlight falling on Martellus Bennett. Long has the makeup and impact to be a Captain of the D this year. Chandler who? Hell, Long looks like an UPGRADE, and I don't offer that up lightly.

At the start of TC, I would never have picked Brown, Branch, Valentine, Johnson and Kuhn as our interior DL. What an unlikely bunch. To start, both Valentine and Kuhn beating out a healthy and slimmer Knighton? Undersized Anthony Johnson totally earning it? But that's what I've got on my 53-man, and it even seems like a foregone conclusion.

Wow, Mingo looks exciting. His athleticism and explosiveness reminds me of Jamie Collins. Can we get them on the field together, I wonder? And, how the hell did we get this guy for a 5th rounder?!? What were the Browns thinking? Were they even thinking? But, once again, Belichick the GM puts the rest of the NFL to shame. Mingo and Hogan (following in the footsteps of Vrabel, Woodhead, Welker, Butler, Harrison, Ninkovich and all the other cast offs who became stars in Foxboro) are the latest example of why they all hate the Patriots.

At cornerback, the top three spots are set, but I'm giving my fourth spot to Cre'Von Leblanc, over Coleman and J.Jones. Call me crazy. Leblanc has ball skills that I haven't seen on the team since Asante Samuel. Rare. Plus, Belichick is a sucker for a hard working UDFA, given half a reason.

The 54th man, and hardest cut, for me this year is Brandon King. He hits the wire so I can keep Geno Grissom, with the hope and idea that we haven't seen the ceiling on Grissom yet. But maybe I have those two swapped in my head.

Brissett really has looked exceptional. Entirely in command, accurate, clearly leading the team. Doesn't seem out of his depth at all. His play this preseason makes the idea that JAG is traded this offseason a much stronger certainty in my mind than I've ever allowed.

At the start of TC, I would never have picked Brown, Branch, Valentine, Johnson and Kuhn as our interior DL. What an unlikely bunch. To start, both Valentine and Kuhn beating out a healthy and slimmer Knighton? Undersized Anthony Johnson totally earning it? But that's what I've got on my 53-man, and it even seems like a foregone conclusion.

The 54th man, and hardest cut, for me this year is Brandon King. He hits the wire so I can keep Geno Grissom, with the hope and idea that we haven't seen the ceiling on Grissom yet. But maybe I have those two swapped in my head.

What have you seen in Kuhn that makes you want to keep him? I haven't seen anything.

And I don't feel that Grissom has taken the next step he needed to take. With a healthy Flowers, a rejuvinated Chris Long, Sheard, and Ninkovich, I don't see a spot for him. Especially not over Brandon King who is one of the top gunners in the league next to Slater.

AIt's OK Josh Gordon to be with the Browns.."The last few times Josh was suspended, he couldn't be with the team, and that was counterproductive," Rosenhaus said. "This is a great change, the fact that he can stay with the team during the suspension. Commissioner Goodell believes the ability for Josh to work with the team during his suspension will help him. He went outside the norm in this case."

F.. Goodell and his idiotic, selective decision making.

Can't stand Goodell, but that's not selective decision-making. The current rules say that if you're suspended for drugs you don't have to stay away from the team. Whereas those same rules say that if you're suspended for what Brady was suspended for you do have to stay away from the team. Goodell followed the rules.

Halfway through the season we'll start to hear fans of other teams say the pats somehow 'cheated' in getting B Mingo for a fifth rounder. The same as they did when we picked up Blount after he sucked in pittsburgh and was cut.

AJ Derby is a stud, and has clearly outplayed Harbour in the preseason. That said, I think BB keeps them both, plus Develin as well. There are enough groundbreaking things JM can do with a roster full of big guys who can block and catch.

Dobson is D O N E done done done. Even during his best game in a Pats uni, ever, the clincher for me was his lame incompletion in the end zone against the 4th string Giants defense, where (despite being by far the tallest guy in the area), Dobson waited for the ball to come down so he could basket-catch the ball against his chest, instead of going up and TAKING it. What's the use of being big and tall when Amendola high points the ball better than that? I've got no remorse in cutting him at all, because with the talent at TE, the receiving ability shown by Foster (and White, of course) a receiving corp with Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Martin, Slater and Mitchell has everything I could wish for. For those who are desperate for a big, strong receiver on the outside, please take another look at our depth at TE and give the situation a little more thought.

DJ Foster was electrifying against the Giants. Tuck the ball away, son. That's right; high and tight.

Cameron Fleming has been awful. On a roster where we're choosing between multiple players who deserve to make the team. It sure looks like we're being forced to pick between Fleming and Waddle as the depth... blech. I'm hoping BB sits on the waiver wire and picks up a veteran JAG swing tackle to come in and make that choice irrelevant. Even a past-prime guy in his last year before retirement, that'd be perfect. We can spend an early pick (or two) at the position in next year's draft.

Thuney has been a rock. Terrific to see. I watched Kline get burned a few times against the Giants, but his versatility on the interior line counts for something. Here's hoping Mason gets healthy soon, because that is our future. Andrews won me over during his rookie year, he's got nothing more to prove to me. An interior line of Thuney - Andrews - Mason for the next decade sounds just fine to me.

Defensive side, how amazing has Chris Long been? Hard to understate how hard it is for a veteran to come into Foxboro and belong. Long has been disciplined, powerful, disruptive. He doesn't overplay the ball, doesn't fall for the screen pass, has a full bag of pass rush tricks. He has fit right into the system, regularly looking like a man among boys. What an overlooked signing he's turned out to be, with the media spotlight falling on Martellus Bennett. Long has the makeup and impact to be a Captain of the D this year. Chandler who? Hell, Long looks like an UPGRADE, and I don't offer that up lightly.

Wow, Mingo looks exciting. His athleticism and explosiveness reminds me of Jamie Collins. Can we get them on the field together, I wonder? And, how the hell did we get this guy for a 5th rounder?!? What were the Browns thinking? Were they even thinking? But, once again, Belichick the GM puts the rest of the NFL to shame. Mingo and Hogan (following in the footsteps of Vrabel, Woodhead, Welker, Butler, Harrison, Ninkovich and all the other cast offs who became stars in Foxboro) are the latest example of why they all hate the Patriots.

At cornerback, the top three spots are set, but I'm giving my fourth spot to Cre'Von Leblanc, over Coleman and J.Jones. Call me crazy. Leblanc has ball skills that I haven't seen on the team since Asante Samuel. Rare. Plus, Belichick is a sucker for a hard working UDFA, given half a reason.

I really like the idea of using White and Foster occasionally as WRs. They can do double duty while some if the Pats better WRs, get healthy.

It avoids having to keep guys like Dobson, who have not earned roster spots, and keeping someone else with higher value, like Harbor.

Watching Mingo I'm imagining an obvious passing 3rd down defensive front of:

Long - Johnson - Flowers - Hightower
---------- Mingo - Collins ----------

That front could be so versatile in rushing the passer with the QB having no idea who's in coverage and who's blitzing between Hightower, Mingo and Collins.

The best part is he was supposed to be a kid with awful mechanics and shaky on-field decision making but off-the-charts intangibles. He knows how to cope with not playing (he had to sit out a year in college after transferring) and he'll put in the work to get better and better.

Agreed. Some players come in as polished players (e.g., Hightower who came from Saban's system) and some don't but have tools that can be refined with the right coaching (e.g., Collins). For unpolished players, the organization is crucial IMHO.

Tim Tebow also had off the chart intangibles. And, he had some early success and won a playoff game. But, he started out with a GM who didn't believe in him, and then was completely screwed up by the Jets, certainly his confidence was.

Brissett is not Tebow. As you say, his mechanics may have been "awful", but nothing as bad as Tebow. Plus, there certainly is not the same circus. But, he has that same lack of polish and great intangibles. Briskett seems like the type of player that would crash and burn in an organization like the Bills or the Browns (or the Rex Ryan Jets). However, he might just have found his home with the Patriots and their strong organization. There will never be another Tom Brady, but I have hope for Briskett.

i think you're talking about this play. it was mingo:

Thanks yeah that was the play.

Sure hope we find some OT to go through to the ps. We feel dangerously thin given Solder and Cannon have had some injuries.

i remember that play. here it is:

there was another play late in the 3rd quarter where he gets flushed from the pocket, scrambles left, keeps his eyes downfield, and almost hits derby for the completion:

dare i say, he seems to handle pressure better than JAG?

Those two plays, especially the first, showed me as much poise and fearlessness as I have ever seen from Jimmy. Maybe more.

Agreed. Some players come in as polished players (e.g., Hightower who came from Saban's system) and some don't but have tools that can be refined with the right coaching (e.g., Collins). For unpolished players, the organization is crucial IMHO.

Tim Tebow also had off the chart intangibles. And, he had some early success and won a playoff game. But, he started out with a GM who didn't believe in him, and then was completely screwed up by the Jets, certainly his confidence was.

Brissett is not Tebow. As you say, his mechanics may have been "awful", but nothing as bad as Tebow. Plus, there certainly is not the same circus. But, he has that same lack of polish and great intangibles. Briskett seems like the type of player that would crash and burn in an organization like the Bills or the Browns (or the Rex Ryan Jets). However, he might just have found his home with the Patriots and their strong organization. There will never be another Tom Brady, but I have hope for Briskett.
The simple fact, Chris, is QB's need a LEAST a year to even have a shot at success. There are a very few exceptions to the rule, but they just prove the point.

Lots of times players need a little luck and get to a team who has the right scheme for them. In most cases the Pats are a fine landing spot, but sometimes I feel that Aaron Dobson might have had a better NFL career if had landed on a team with a scheme like the Ravens.

If you are a QB, the Pats are an excellent to team to learn on and not just because you'll start out learning from the GOAT. They will teach you well, AND you will have time to develop your skills. Very few teams have consistent luck with their QB's, even when they are drafting in the top 1o. But the Pats have had a lot of luck developing QB's who have had relatively decent careers often picking at the bottom of the draft and lower.

I am relegated to following this online because I got caught up in a bait and switch deal with Direct TV that does not carry the Boston Channels.

Get yourself an HD antenna.

Always look forward to this insightful post... have never let me down. I am relegated to following this online because I got caught up in a bait and switch deal with Direct TV that does not carry the Boston Channels.

You only get Boston Channels if you are in the Boston Viewing area.. That has been the case for 25 years. Not sure how it is a "bait and switch" unless they told you, specifically, that you'd get them despite not being in the Boston Viewing area.

1. I've said enough about the perfidy of the media. Suffice it to say, I've had enough. Let me know what Chatham has to say , and give me a link when Reiss has written something and let the rest of them go F$ck themselves.
Actually there are some good guys over there and i think you shouldnt be so negative.
Rich hill
Doug Keyd
Jeff Howe
I agree that Chatham provides some real football analyse, but theese guys put over some stats and stuff that are useful.

Actually there are some good guys over there and i think you shouldnt be so negative.
Rich hill
Doug Keyd
Jeff Howe
I agree that Chatham provides some real football analyse, but theese guys put over some stats and stuff that are useful.
I agree that Rich Hill should be put on that short list of media types that deserve to be listened to. I have some mixed views on Howe. Sometimes I think he tries hard, but a lot of times he falls back on his reptilian instincts and takes the easier path and parrots the same old crap. So maybe he's better than most of them, but that isn't setting the bar very high

I've liked the way Elandon Roberts has played all pre-season; he's a sure handed tackler and always around the ball. I'm sorry he got hurt, but he showed guts by staying out there and playing through it. He has definite potential and will be a solid practice squad player for now.

Mingo has incredible speed and a great nose for the ball. He plays hard and doesn't give up on plays. Looking forward to seeing how he's used this season. I can see a number of big plays coming from him.

Foster catches the ball so smoothly and effortlessly and is so fast after the catch. I hope he makes the 53, as I can see him making some key first downs on third and long.

Anthony Johnson is quick in the middle of the line and disruptive in both the pass and run game. He'll make some key plays this season.

KGH is fast and plays hard. If his hit downfield on punt coverage is any indication, it'll be fun to watch his progression.

Hogan is a great addition to our WR corps. He's sure handed, runs good routes and runs hard after the catch.

Cameron Fleming has been awful. On a roster where we're choosing between multiple players who deserve to make the team. It sure looks like we're being forced to pick between Fleming and Waddle as the depth... blech. I'm hoping BB sits on the waiver wire and picks up a veteran JAG swing tackle to come in and make that choice irrelevant.

I wouldn't be shocked if they were working the phones now looking for a trading partner to avoid having to go the waiver wire route......
Any smart GM who hears, " Bill Belichick on line 1" tells his secretary to "tell him I moved to North Korea" because otherwise he'll risk having his detritus turn into All -Pro.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back