PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- the sad day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Rich Hill should be put on that short list of media types that deserve to be listened to. I have some mixed views on Howe. Sometimes I think he tries hard, but a lot of times he falls back on his reptilian instincts and takes the easier path and parrots the same old crap. So maybe he's better than most of them, but that isn't setting the bar very high
I never played football and just watching on TV. So i have to read from multilple sources online about patriots.
So i divided them in few categories.
Insidethepylon guys who expose Stork head up
Chatham he should provide more stuff
Mike dussualt
Patfanken
PP2 i found him here from this year TC
and two more guys on this forum cant remember now name if i see logo then i will
Above guys seems to have some pro analysis .
Year ago i would add Mike Loyko here, cause i think he has some knowledge but he is always like when something happens and then he tweets stuff like he knew that. overly smart aproach.
The guy who is aproching very fast to above category is Rich hill with his analys.

Mike Reiss, DougKeyd, Jeff Howe KevinDuffy and few other guys provides some useful stats about games, and some observations for example how many snaps play or who plays Oline etc.
They have their own analysis so i combine them with others.

Ofcourse our cap guru Miguel is must

Very impressed to the point that if Jimmy G is good the first 4 games I am all for trading him.

Brissett has developed nicely over the course of camp. JG's escapability, Mallett's arm, can't say Brady's mind but the kid seems very bright and a guy who 'gets it' on how to tun this offensive and has great leadership skills/intangibles. I can certainly see him taking the reins when TB hangs em up.

The roster will present a multitude of tough choices for the coaching staff the next day. Don't know who they will cjoose to keep but the roster is deep and loaded.

As I watch last night's game for the third time, I'm struck by Chris Long's solid play. He sets the edge well, always seems to be in position and plays like the confident veteran that he is. He's going to draw a lot of holding calls and will make a solid addition to the team.

Cyrus Jones looks to be the explosive punt returner that at some point in the season can change the course of a game.

For the first time in a while it looks like we have the makings of a really strong secondary from top to bottom. We'll have to see how it all shakes out, but I'm optimistic.

There's still room for improvement, but the STs are looking better than in the first preseason game.

Our defense looks like it could be something special this year; they play fast and tough, are well-coached and confident. Going to be fun watching them compete this season.

2) Find a classic car in a junk yard somewhere and work on restoring it to mint condition.

Finding worthless bangers, then restored to the point Jay Leno takes note. Where Scott Pioli meets Click and Clack....oh just four weeks - oh well.

Not sure which media pundit took issue with Edelman handling the 2nd punt, but I didn't. You want your most sure handed player out there in that situation to make sure the ball is caught properly..

That being said, C. Jones is likely going to take a majority of the punt returns. He's arguably the most electric returner we've had since Hobbs was doing kick returns for us.

Stay tuned to talk radio today, as they will be on fire regarding the decision to play #12 last night, "you know what might have happened to Tom"???
I've totally stopped listening to Boston sports talk radio and don't miss it one bit. I listen to Kirk Menehane's podcast where many of the Boston sports talk 'personalities' have appeared and they spell it all out -- their job is to generate anger and outrage no matter how they do it, even if they have to trash great players like Brady to do so. I have no idea why people continue to listen to that dreck.

I really object to 'Roachie' et al dragging that same nonsense into the broadcast time and time again. Just tell us what's going on with the game, we don't give a damn that some mediots and producers have a thing for Bruce Springsteen, and we bleepin' don't want to hear you rap.

Dobson is D O N E done done done. Even during his best game in a Pats uni, ever, the clincher for me was his lame incompletion in the end zone against the 4th string Giants defense, where (despite being by far the tallest guy in the area), Dobson waited for the ball to come down so he could basket-catch the ball against his chest, instead of going up and TAKING it. What's the use of being big and tall when Amendola high points the ball better than that?
IMHO Brady's pick was because Dobson stopped short (presumably to avoid a hit) whilst Brady expected him to keep going, and thus he wasn't in a position to catch the pass or prevent the interception. I don't think he'll be missed when he leaves. Another underwhelming WR pick, sigh.

I'll repeat myself: last years draft was Jones, Brissett, Valentine, Thuney, Mitchell, KGH, Karras, and Lucien with LeBlanc, Jones, Foster, et. al.. Quite a haul given no first-rounder with every player meeting or exceeding expectations so far. For those who hammer BB the drafter, an awfully promising group.

As for Brissett I am actually happy to see PP2 being impressed because I remember he was not impressed at open practice. Good to see the same person seeing progress. For a rookie he obviously is very impressive, we'll see how he looks in three years as TB12's possible replacement. BTW, Ken, that will be the real Sad Day Edition, TB12's retirement.

Yes I was not impressed with his throwing mechanism. No two throws were the same, but that is technique and technique can be taught. Poise and command can't be taught. I'll have to watch him against the ones before I form any further opinions.

Id hate to see any of these guys go: Foster, Gaffney, Harbor, A.Johnson, KGH, E.Roberts, JJ.

Most of them were fighting uphill battles with great heart and showed they can contribute and can be the future here. Some of them bring unique qualities that would further enrich the teams options.

Some might get cut on account of uncertain injury situation at WR and OL, so guys like Dobson, Fleming, Waddle etc. will be brought in instead.
Some will lose to guys BB holds dear like King, Bolden, Grissom ...

Some of them will not clear waivers. Foster, KGH, JJ - and I hope they keep them here.

There was one guy emerging more and more each day quietly making more field, more plays, staying strangely under the radar. He showed a heroic performance yesterday. I see in him a true Patriot. He is Elandon Roberts and due to unbelievable depth at LB he is not projected to make the 53. Losing him would really make me sad.

Normally he should make it through waivers but we saw with Humber that there are LB hungry teams out there and they know they can get good ones from BB. He looked hurt last night playing through injury. I know its selfish and unsportsmanlike but I almost hope they put him on IR.

Last edited:
The patriots WR Scouting problem in the draft is they continue to invest 2nd-4th round picks in WRs who were not very productive in college. More like projects. Chad Jackson was the exception he was productive. He just didn't work out for some reason. Since then BB has been afraid to make a high investment in a WR. He shouldn't be. After all BB whiffed just as bad in high DB picks yet he continued to draft DBs highly

My advice for the patriots when they draft future wide receivers would be to choose a player with great measurables (height speed length) who were very productive in the stat sheet in college. No more what ifs. Draft a WR who showed in college they were elite

The patriots WR Scouting problem in the draft is they continue to invest 2nd-4th round picks in WRs who were not very productive in college. More like projects. Chad Jackson was the exception he was productive. He just didn't work out for some reason. Since then BB has been afraid to make a high investment in a WR. He shouldn't be. After all BB whiffed just as bad in high DB picks yet he continued to draft DBs highly

My advice for the patriots when they draft future wide receivers would be to choose a player with great measurables (height speed length) who were very productive in the stat sheet in college. No more what ifs. Draft a WR who showed in college they were elite
Now the Pats need to draft in the top 10 to satisfy your selection criteria.

i remember that play. here it is:

there was another play late in the 3rd quarter where he gets flushed from the pocket, scrambles left, keeps his eyes downfield, and almost hits derby for the completion:

dare i say, he seems to handle pressure better than JAG?
When I saw that first play, and I believe that's the one Ken was referring to as well, I was so impressed with how he stood in until the last second and delivered a strike despite knowing he was going to be hit. I hope JAG does well so as to increase his trade value, but Brissett is the future. In Parcells we trust, LOL.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

The problem is finding Receivers with the High Football IQ required to function n this O, Chad Ocho Cinco, not so much, Randy Moss yup. Hard to tell the football iq of a player in a CFB O.

Can't stand Goodell, but that's not selective decision-making. The current rules say that if you're suspended for drugs you don't have to stay away from the team. Whereas those same rules say that if you're suspended for what Brady was suspended for you do have to stay away from the team. Goodell followed the rules.
So Ninko can stay with the team during his suspension?

So Ninko can stay with the team during his suspension?
I'm guessing no. I think Gordon's "recreational drug" suspension is allowed to be with the team so he's with a support system for a drug of choice as opposed to a PED where it's not for fun but for "cheating". Not saying I agree with that system but I think that's how it works.

The patriots WR Scouting problem in the draft is they continue to invest 2nd-4th round picks in WRs who were not very productive in college. More like projects. Chad Jackson was the exception he was productive. He just didn't work out for some reason. Since then BB has been afraid to make a high investment in a WR.

OK, I'm a little stumped here. How about a 2nd-round pick on a guy who stood 6'3" and ran 4.37 and put up 165 receptions for 2,398 yards (14.5 ypc) and 24 touchdowns in college? Doesn't Aaron Dobson meet every single one of your criteria? And Josh Boyce, drafted the same year as Dobson, was his school's all-time leader in receiving touchdowns.

I'm just not seeing the pattern you describe of drafting unproductive college players. As for "no more what ifs" and demanding an elite, blemishless talent, the Patriots are seldom in position to draft such a player at ANY position -- and projecting WRs from college to the Pats' complex offense adds a huge element of risk. Going all-in on the top available WRs would have meant drafting Jonathan Baldwin instead of Nate Solder, and A. J. Jenkins and Brian Quick instead of Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

What it comes down to is that the WRs they've drafted haven't worked out. It's a problem for sure, just not a simple problem. They've drafted from big schools and small, tall speedsters and shifty slot guys, athletic prospects and productive college stars with similar lack of success.

Last edited:
It's all YOUR fault!

Busted.

tearful-apology-smiley-emoticon.gif

The problem is finding Receivers with the High Football IQ required to function n this O, Chad Ocho Cinco, not so much, Randy Moss yup. Hard to tell the football iq of a player in a CFB O.

Agreed although I truly believe Chad Ocho Cincos problem was he was way past his prime physically when he came to New England. His legs were gone. People forget this. Ocho was physically finished by 2011. He did nothing after leaving New England.

Do you think the prime chad Ocho of 2004-2008 would have struggled as much in patriots offense? I don't think so. I think he was so athletic in his prime he would have found a way to get wide open and Brady would have found him. Not a fit in our offense but Brady would be successful with ANY elite WR in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes