PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "injury" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know who will now assume the Protector position? That will not be an insignificant decision.

Ebner unfortunately suffered a classic phony turf injury, same as Edelman did during the pre-season. It became obvious that his season ended after I replayed that moment, especially at half-speed. It's a damn shame that the home field of Tom Brady apparently cannot sustain a viable natural grass playing surface.

Richards was in the Protector position after Ebner went out.

Eric Lee is a great addition.

However, we may wish that we had Marsh for his ST skills, with Reilly, Slater and Ebner out.

maybe......he had a block.....as for coverage, the pats have gotten good results from king, jjones, bademosi.....and who knows, maybe lee can ST, too

I completely agree with this & the timing couldn’t be worse, because the Pats are going to need to identify, secure and train Brady’s successor, likely this offseason. Losing McDaniels would make this a much more difficult task.

Caserio has proven to be an excellent player personnel guy and losing JG, McDaniels & Caserio over the course of a few months would significantly alter the future trajectory of this franchise.
One more set of reasons why I am among those who think that trading JG was Kraft's idea, not Belichick's.

You see, I have this idea kicking around in my head that Kraft made Belichick trade Garoppolo because, at some point, he fully comprehended the magnitude of his error in throwing Tom Brady under the bus, i.e., the guy who brought him five Lombardi's and a $3b valuation for his $194 million investment, and decided the only way he could begin to make it up to him was to assure Tom Brady that he would leave New England on Tom Brady's terms, not Belichick's "a year too early rather than a year too late." Nothing says job security like "Brian Hoyer is our #1 backup." Watching Garoppolo lead the 'niners to a TD, even if it was "garbage time," in yesterday's game suggests that "he is who we thought he is."

Last edited:
Anyone know who will now assume the Protector position? That will not be an insignificant decision.

Ebner unfortunately suffered a classic phony turf injury, same as Edelman did during the pre-season. It became obvious that his season ended after I replayed that moment, especially at half-speed. It's a damn shame that the home field of Tom Brady apparently cannot sustain a viable natural grass playing surface.

Might be Chung, but apparently there may be a domino effect. There's this from BB:

Then there's this film review:

Film review: How the Patriots needed 3 players to replace Nate Ebner on special teams

Yeah, it was weird. It almost looked like it WAS a deliberate delay of game play, like they were pretending to have the punter throw it, but oops, it took too long, so I guess we'll just line up for a regular ole punt now, wink, wink. It's like the game got too boring so the Pats decided to spice it up, sometimes not with the greatest results :)

Well, they put something on tape for other teams to look at and go, "WTF??!!"

If there is such a concern for lack of depth and skillset on STs:
All kicks aimed for touchbacks
Receiving K, take a knee on anything in the EZ
Overly cautious fair catches for P returns (words already needed for DA yesterday).
Get healthier then go back to original programming.

One more set of reasons why I am among those who think that trading JG was Kraft's idea, not Belichick's.

You see, I have this idea kicking around in my head that Kraft made Belichick trade Garoppolo because, at some point, he fully comprehended the magnitude of his error in throwing Tom Brady under the bus, i.e., the guy who brought him five Lombardi's and a $3b valuation for his $194 million investment, and decided the only way he could begin to make it up to him was to assure Tom Brady that he would leave New England on Tom Brady's terms, not Belichick's "a year too early rather than a year too late." Nothing says job security like "Brian Hoyer is our #1 backup." Watching Garoppolo lead the 'niners to a TD, even if it was "garbage time," in yesterday's game suggests that "he is who we thought he is."

For awhile last summer, the Pats appeared to have enough potential 2018 cap space, including 2017 space they could roll over in to 2018, to hang on to JG for one more season with the FT, or to do a tag'n'trade in the spring of 2018 without financially hamstringing themselves on signing other contracts. If there was really any disagreement between them about which to keep - Brady or JG - it was almost certainly something that they thought they had until the end of this season to decide.

However, from the beginning of training camp, the injuries began to pile up and erode 2017 cap space. The current financial realities are that the Pats now have almost $19M in cap space sitting on IR, only about $3.7M to roll over, and probably not even enough combined 2017 rollover + 2018 "new" space to tag even Butler.

So, by the time the regular season began, the hope of putting off the Brady v. JG decision was gone and they were faced with either trading JG or Brady before October 31st.

Ultimately, it came down to taking a 2018 2nd in trade for JG now (and a likely very high 2nd, at that) or be forced to let him walk for a 2019 3rd (at the end of the round) next spring. Or trading Brady after the 2017 season was already underway.

I seriously doubt that there was any significant disagreement between BB and Kraft about which way it was going to go at that point.

10. I'm pretty sure we'll get Fouts again next week. Uncle, I've had enough.

It'd hurt to go back and re-watch, but my recollection of the play where both Flowers were injured is that the Fouts / Eagle combo broke entirely and became utterly incapable of delivering useful information in a coherent manner.

Yeah, I never bought in to the idea kraft didn’t permit a Brady trade. B.B. is not that crazy

On the speculation that Schiano might be brought on board if we lose Josh, wouldn't it be more likely that he be brought on if we lose Matt P? Schiano is Ohio State's defensive coordinator, and to my knowledge all his assistant roles have been on the defensive side of the ball. He was, of course, a head coach at Rutgers and Tampa Bay, but even going back as a player he was a defensive guy (linebacker). Greg Schiano - Wikipedia

The guy was done wrong by Tennessee. A Penn State assistant testified in a deposition that he had heard from another coach that Schiano was aware of Sandusky raping kids. Well, that coach was identified and testified under oath that he knew nothing of Schiano witnessing ANYTHING. Then Schiano testified under oath as well and certainly convinced even the opposing prosecutor that he had no prior knowledge or involvement whatsoever.

So he lost a job due to internet smears and public pressure. Basically, to loud voices who were shouting nonsense that the justice system has accepted as being completely false.

Last edited:
"Hey Bill, this is Bob. Trade JG right now, got it?". "Sure Bob, whatever you say".o_O

BB isn't just the boss for player personnel, he is The Boss. Kraft may give input or speak on 'Cash available' or speak to him about PR repercussions, league b;ah blah, however, BB is the boss for player personnel. 15 out of 17 years with 10 wins or more for a franchise more stable and more winning than ____? 7 SBs, 5 SB wins. So did I mention BB is The Boss of player decisions?

For awhile last summer, the Pats appeared to have enough potential 2018 cap space, including 2017 space they could roll over in to 2018, to hang on to JG for one more season with the FT, or to do a tag'n'trade in the spring of 2018 without financially hamstringing themselves on signing other contracts. If there was really any disagreement between them about which to keep - Brady or JG - it was almost certainly something that they thought they had until the end of this season to decide.

However, from the beginning of training camp, the injuries began to pile up and erode 2017 cap space. The current financial realities are that the Pats now have almost $19M in cap space sitting on IR, only about $3.7M to roll over, and probably not even enough combined 2017 rollover + 2018 "new" space to tag even Butler.

So, by the time the regular season began, the hope of putting off the Brady v. JG decision was gone and they were faced with either trading JG or Brady before October 31st.

Ultimately, it came down to taking a 2018 2nd in trade for JG now (and a likely very high 2nd, at that) or be forced to let him walk for a 2019 3rd (at the end of the round) next spring. Or trading Brady after the 2017 season was already underway.

I seriously doubt that there was any significant disagreement between BB and Kraft about which way it was going to go at that point.
The nice thing about speculating on things about which only two or three people actually know "the truth" is that there a multiple, potentially viable perspectives. I have no basis on which to argue with anything you write.

It'd hurt to go back and re-watch, but my recollection of the play where both Flowers were injured is that the Fouts / Eagle combo broke entirely and became utterly incapable of delivering useful information in a coherent manner.

When has FOuts ever been capable of "delivering useful information in a coherent manner"?

On the speculation that Schiano might be brought on board if we lose Josh, wouldn't it be more likely that he be brought on if we lose Matt P? Schiano is Ohio State's defensive coordinator, and to my knowledge all his assistant roles have been on the defensive side of the ball. He was, of course, a head coach at Rutgers and Tampa Bay, but even going back as a player he was a defensive guy (linebacker). Greg Schiano - Wikipedia

The guy was done wrong by Tennessee. A Penn State assistant testified in a deposition that he had heard from another coach that Schiano was aware of Sandusky raping kids. Well, that coach was identified and testified under oath that he knew nothing of Schiano witnessing ANYTHING. Then Schiano testified under oath as well and certainly convinced even the opposing prosecutor that he had no prior knowledge or involvement whatsoever.

So he lost a job due to internet smears and public pressure. Basically, to loud voices who were shouting nonsense that the justice system has accepted as being completely false.

Mob-rule ascendant.

That's such a horrible position to be in and probably the last thing you would want attached to your name.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore