PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the championship edtion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable game plan by BB/Flores & Wade. Nothing wrong at all w giving Wade credit. He called an amazing game too. Moving Suh around which they did all year. Zone/Man looks, some pattern matching, that defense came ready & prepared. Seems like a genuinely good guy as well.

The Rams defense holding Brady and crew to 13 points would've been all we heard for the next four months had the Pats D not been so good. Quite an achievement, really, but happy it will be swept under the rug for the rest of time/history.

Last edited:
I short changed special teams in my original post. Aside from the first Gotskowski miss, they were magnificent. Ryan Allen might have had his best game of a rather stellar Pats career. While reading Peter King's lengthy, but well worth it article, he gave an interesting link to Rick Gosslin's special teams rankings. I found it interesting how he broke it down. The Pats, of course, were in the top 10 overall. The leader was surprising, but I'll let you find out for yourself. ;)

Rick Gosselin's 2018 NFL special-teams rankings - Talk Of Fame Network

The contrast with Matty P's defense from last year couldn't have been more stark.

And Patricia didn't have the same continuity in terms of health and players available to him. Hightower was injured, KVN not playing at the same level, Gilmore getting settled until the latter parts of the season, they had no one to stop the run with Branch stuck at Panda Express and Butler was more concerned about his contract than playing CB.

Comparing the two will never be fair because the context will never be the same. I don't recall anyone having an issue with Patricias defense in 2014 and 2015 being as passive as what we had in 2017.

This was a defensive game for the ages! Wow!

That high-powered Rams offensive simply didn't know what to do and never figured it out.

Simply amazing! Go Pats!

(Gee. My signature has changed yet again! :D)

Last edited:
And Patricia didn't have the same continuity in terms of health and players available to him. Hightower was injured, KVN not playing at the same level, Gilmore getting settled until the latter parts of the season, they had no one to stop the run with Branch stuck at Panda Express and Butler was more concerned about his contract than playing CB.

Comparing the two will never be fair because the context will never be the same. I don't recall anyone having an issue with Patricias defense in 2014 and 2015 being as passive as what we had in 2017.

3 pts. 3.

vs:

re-signing Trent Brown is a bigger priority than Trey Flowers

it has been proven that if the defense gets to Brady that it really doesn't matter who you have at DE

I can remember the days of driving the 6 hours from NY in the early 90's to pay $10 for a ticket and be the only person sitting in an entire row. The days of Zeke Mowatt and bad football play. The game that I saw Scott Zolak beat the Jets in Foxboro, there were more Jets fans there, than Patriots fans it seemed. I was actually getting heckled for wearing a shiny new Patriots jacket in our own stadium! I remember thinking those days, all I want is one Superbowl win, just one. These days, it is amazing where this franchise came from and what it is now. How incredibly blessed we are to be Patriots fans! The heart of this years team was unreal, over coming so much diversity. A true football dynasty. Now I want them to get 7(or more). I know lots of Steeler's fans that didnt want the Patriots to get the 6th. I can only imagine how they will feel when the Patriots get 7!

I was originally rooting for New Orleans to win, but after 1 first quarter, I changed my mind. I thought the Patriots defense could mess with Goff's head(they did) and if NO won, that Stadium would be full of Saints fans since the cities are so close. Having a "home" game for the Superbowl was pretty amazing for the Patriots.

This was the first Superbowl, that I was certain they were going to win. Even more certain than the 04 team for some reason. After they went into KC and won that game, I knew they wouldnt let this one slip by. After the first Brady pick and the anemic offense, I was worried for sure. But I never felt Goff would beat the Patriots the way the defense was playing. That was one heck of a 3 game defensive stretch! What a ride. Thank you Patriots!

I missed the part where they played the McVay/Goff Rams 3 times in those SBs and allowed that many points. Otherwise I don't see any relevance here.

Team Points Scored in Season
2014 Seahawks 394
2016 Falcons 540
2017 Eagles 457
2018 Rams 527

Team Points Scored in Season
2014 Seahawks 394
2016 Falcons 540
2017 Eagles 457
2018 Rams 527

So what ? The recording breaking 2007 team got shut down by a middling Giants team that barely made the postseason. It is all about matchups and the Rams were our easiest opponent in a long time.

No RB pass threat, no TEs that were go-to players. Our CBs matched up well with the remaining WR. But you won't see that in any of the numbers.

Here are some ideal thoughts I have.

1. The offensive game plan in one word? Stubborn. They went away too much from what was working and went too much to what was. They failed to change their pace or rhythm really the entire game and the result is a mere 13 points and a max at a chance of 19. Just cause it was good enough today doesn't mean it is good enough in general.

While I understand that sometimes you find yourself in a defensive game we've seen before when such games can be blown wide open (KC this year and the Carolina SB). The lack of aggression here was annoying and could have been a mistake. Usually it would have been. You don't want for a team to get the lead until you decide to attack. They never even ran a true hurry up or no huddle. Also on 2 attempts to Sony and 6 to Hogan they were 0 for 8 in passing. I get testing it, fine. But when it isn't working and you have something that i,s don't force a match up you are clearly losing if you don't have to.

2. Invisible yards 1 - While I wasn't the first to say it I will repeat it. Cooks had the most forgettable 120 yards I've ever seen. I watched every second of the game and I couldn't tell you were half of them came from. This has been the story of Cooks in his career. A guy who gets a lot of stats but rarely seems to effect games. Particularly big ones. The lone exception is that Jags game last year for us.

3. Invisible yards 2 - While it doesn't usually show up on the stat sheet the STs (save for field goal kickers) was on point for both teams. The Pats had that great early run back but besides that both teams found themselves constantly pinned back. The Pats downed a number of balls inside the 10. It was a good field position game.

4. Gost - He has now missed makeable kicks in back to back to back SBs. His contract is up this year. While I don't think they should move this HAS to change how you look at him. Yes. The other kicker missed one too but he had a gimpy plant leg. Frankly speaking you can't go into another SB with Gost and be afraid to try anything over 50 or just accepting you will miss one or two kicks. Generally speaking you can't keep taking points off the board vs the best competition in the NFL. It bit them last year. Not this year or in 16'. If they go again with Gost it may bit them that time. Something to think about.

5. Beware the peaking team - The Saints and Rams were on a downward trend and the Pats were on an upward one. Any Saints fan looking at this game and believing they would have won is wrong. They were not the same team they were weeks ago and neither were the Rams. The Saints wree frankly lucky to get by the Eagles and failed to beat the equally struggling Rams. The Pats would have beat them too. This team was peaking at the right time and people in the media ignored it. Like the ignore the Giants and the Ravens in 2012 and other peaking team. We need to remember these kind of teams are the most dangerous. During next years playoffs I will need to give this factor more weight.

6. Defense going into 2019 - The priority is to keep the key parts of the unit together for next year right now. Maybe Gronks walks and maybe not. You can't control that. In any case after what this unit did this year I don't want to mess with it too much. Every year we see the Pats revamp core parts of this unit, extend the preseason into the regular season, install and practice the more complex plays after thanksgiving and hope it is working and attack by the playoffs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Wouldn't it be nice to go into next year not having to worry about teaching a bunch of new people the scheme, hope to build chemistry with a number key players and just hit the ground running? I think they would be nice. It doesn't mean you need to keep everyone. But I think Flowers and the McCourty bros need to be a priority. It doesn't mean we need to pay Devin 14M cause frankly he isn't worth that. But keep him happy and here and try to keep the core of this unit together one more year.

7. Edelman - He is a HOFer. You play the game to win championships and the guy absolutely is one of the top options I want on my team for that. The thing about Jules is he doesn't abuse the bad teams as much as a Julio Jones would, but he can get work done vs any defense and be a key playmakrer Doesn't matter the scheme or talent he is up against. Unless you literally don't give a QB time to throw he will get a bunch of yards on you. He is an unstoppable force in these games. Denver has come the closest in 15' but most of that had to do with Brady not having time, not Edelman being unable to get open in a reasonable amount of time.

I dont think this is a question. Always go with Flowers over Brown.
And make Wynn the LT?

In the end this was BBs defense. Flores will be a good hire just based on his personality and as a culture builder. But whether he can come up with gameplans like that and instill them in his players on his own we shall see next September.
It’s the man not the resume but it seems HCs do better when they have had more coordinator experience.

And media consensus proves that we have become addicted to bright shiny objects, the latest, the coolest and the most transient. In football terms it's the touchdowns, the long FGs, the amazing catch, the dazzling run, and ultimately the big play. None of this was on display for more than 3 quarters. Instead you had a product of high defensive quality - from both teams. While we rightly vaunt the success of our defensive team, it is only fair to praise the opponent's defense, which was effectively as good until the Three Musketeers' TD drive in the 4th quarter. By the time Michel and Burkhead delivered the final slashes on the last FG drive, the Rams' game plan and effectiveness had been worn down by fatigue and a sense of futility.

It certainly was a game for aficionados of defensive strategies and execution. Hightower and Van Noy were outstanding, but not far behind in production were Flowers, Gilmour, Wise and Jones (and a shout-out to JMC for saving the blown coverage). However the real star was the game plan, which all members of the defense executed almost to perfection. The same could be said for Wade's game plan, which stymied our offense and kept them from all but one possession in the Red Zone. While BB is renowned for taking away the opponents strengths, the Rams concentrated on the screen pass and removing James White from the equation. With no wideouts (Hogan could not get sufficient separation, nor could he make a catch in close coverage), the Rams covered the seams and crossing patterns for most of the game. With Donald causing his habitual disruption and some outstanding plays by Littleton and Brockers, and excellent coverage by Talib, Peters and Barron, there was little time and few gaps for Brady to exploit. Until of course mid way through the 4th quarter. If anyone disappointed on the Rams side it was Suh and Fowler, but that would detract from the awesome work of our O-Line, which prevailed in keeping our QB intact and upright (only 1 sack - although the fumble should be regarded as another, saved by the OL, (cant remember the player).

One other shoutout is called for. I was discomforted by Chung's injury, as I felt that he was the general of the back field (Romo called him the defensive QB). My concern was that the continuity of the game plan execution would be interrupted. But no - other than the blown coverage on Cooks, the DBs kept all in front of them, and thereafter Cooks was contained. Harmon might not be spectacular but it was entirely appropriate for Romo to point out his nickname in the locker room - "The Closer".

It was not a comfortable game to watch because at any moment a "big play" could have changed the complexion of the game. So when we had the ball it was concern for the overturn, and when they had it, it was fear of a wide open Cooks, Woods or Reynolds, in space. The fact that we were the ones with the early turnovers just made that anxiety sharper. That anxiety dissipated in the fourth quarter, because history told us that TB was most likely to deliver, and Goff never really found his rhythm.

As a previous poster opined - this was a Superbowl to savor, especially for those that focused on the defensive prowess on both sides of the ball.

The low score did not detract from watching a masterclass from two well rehearsed defensive game plans. It is a pity that the MVP has to go to an individual, though I am more than glad that Jules won it. In reality it was the defense that contributed most to this title, and should have the award. But it was the 3 musketeers breaking the oppositions back that we will all remember most. They might be shiny objects, but they are my shiny objects.

And make Wynn the LT?

I just think given everything that Flowers is the harder to replace player than Brown. The hypothetical was pick one of the two. In reality the Pats might pick both (if reasonably possible) or maybe neither.

I just think given everything that Flowers is the harder to replace player than Brown. The hypothetical was pick one of the two. In reality the Pats might pick both (if reasonably possible) or maybe neither.
Being the devils advocate, if you don’t believe Wynn can be 100% and be the LT, a LT is harder to find than a DE. A hole at LT is also harder to overcome than a hole at DE.

Being the devils advocate, if you don’t believe Wynn can be 100% and be the LT, a LT is harder to find than a DE. A hole at LT is also harder to overcome than a hole at DE.

This is a multi-layer thing. Wynn participated in a good deal of the preseason before he got injured so the team should have a good idea how to project him with the only question if there is anything he lost due to the injury. So I think the level of investment they are ready to throw at Brown will be a good clue into that.

Personally I think finding someone as versatile and impactful within a BB front as Trey Flowers is more difficult than finding someone that Scar can coach up to be above average at tackle. Brown was not a bad tackle before his trade but was wildly inconsistent. A lot of what made him such a valuable piece happened under Scar.

Obviously, in an ideal world you want both back.

Want to watch the game again. Didn’t see JC Jacksons name called very often, if at all. What was his snap count? Woods who I thought was going to be one of the go to’s was almost invisible. Was he on Woods or Reynolds?

But consider that the Saints OL is far worse than the Rams......
I feel like we would have done well against them too, but the major difference is Brees doesn't take those sacks and run out of bounds and there would have been a LOT of Saints fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down