PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I wanted Lamar Jackson but I'm happy with Sony Michel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Jordan Richards is on your roster, well .................................... that speaks for the defense.

Hopefully, that situation changes for the 2018 season. I’d love to see a safety added with the next pick. I doubt Josh Jackson will be available at CB, but making an improvement for the immediate (4th safety), as well as the future (rotational + starter) would be a nice way to go.

Yes he has accuracy problems at times but most are making waayy too big deal of it. Hes a very young player that in context would have thrown over 60% if his WR weren't garbage. That's not an excuse.
His throwing mechanics appear to be suspect compensated for by athletic prowess and running ability. He might succeed as a Vick-type of player, but that necessitates a system tailored to his skill set and style of play. If the Ravens see this guy as their future, their offense will need to change radically and the same would've been required of New England.

When you realize that Lamar Jackson is about to steal your job.

ArcticCheeryAntlion-max-1mb.gif
I'm sure Flacco will be overly helpful..NOT..
Should make for an uncomfortable QB room......

His throwing mechanics appear to be suspect compensated for by athletic prowess and running ability. He might succeed as a Vick-type of player, but that necessitates a system tailored to his skill set and style of play. If the Ravens see this guy as their future, their offense will need to change radically and the same would've been required of New England.
Except Lamar ran EP and variations of it at UL so he wouldn't have to change it. Theres literally countless plays we've ran over the years on his highlight tapes.

Hes a Raven now so I think this thread has done its purpose

How does Randy’s score compare with other wide receivers. Jackson’s with other QBs?

A wonderlic score like Jackson had is concerning. Atleast to me. I don’t care about drops. Watch the tape. He misses too many throws. He’s innacurate. drops or not. And from what I see he struggles to read defenses like many others in this class

Fitzpatrick had a 48, Jim Kelly 15.

Futz is a journeyman scrub, Kelly went to 4 SB’s and the HoF.

He is explosive and nifty, but he fumbles way too much. In his highlight reel the ball seemed to come out every time he stepped out of bounds as if was a greased pig. Ever DB and LB in the league will be gunning for the ball when he runs so the first few years are going to be rough.

If he can solve the fumbling issue, he will be special.

Time will tell if it was the right choice. Michel was certainly a good pick, but a franchise quarterback is inevitably more valuable than a top-tier running back. We'll have to see how each player looks down the line. Worth noting is that the Patriots could have traded with the Eagles for #32 if they had really wanted Jackson on a five-year deal. They had more to offer than the Ravens, and could have gotten that pick and the Eagles' 4th for #43 and their 3rd rounder.

Time will tell if it was the right choice. Michel was certainly a good pick, but a franchise quarterback is inevitably more valuable than a top-tier running back. We'll have to see how each player looks down the line. Worth noting is that the Patriots could have traded with the Eagles for #32 if they had really wanted Jackson on a five-year deal. They had more to offer than the Ravens, and could have gotten that pick and the Eagles' 4th for #43 and their 3rd rounder.

Yeah but 3 first rounders (one being a QB) would have a impact on the cap equivalent of a 2nd tier FA from the start and of a top FA in a few years, so there's that aspect too.

Okay? Jim kelly is a better player. One went to the U and the other went to Harvard

We still have one or two years to find the perfect heir of the GOAT. Next year, there won't be more than 4 teams need a QB in first two rounds. Next yr is the yr we find our QB of the future.

That's an interesting point as well, it doesn't look like there's a revolving door at QB around the league anymore, there have been many extensions, signings and now first round selections recently, and the teams with stability at QB seems like they will keep it that way for at least a couple years (Rodgers, Ben, Ryan, Stafford, Newton and others) and some teams that "found their guy" but there's still some sort of gray area if that was the right call like Dak Prescott and to some extent Derek Carr they will probably have some time to prove themselves either.

But how is next year class? I wouldn't mind going with one of the 2nd tier guys in round 2 but that would make at least 3 out of 4 picks on offense and our defense stinks. That's what concerns me. We need at least decent DE and LB, a safety wouldn't hurt too.

Louisville ain’t Harvard Einstein.
What’s Louisville got to do with Fitz and Kelly. Your comparison between kelly and Fitz was awful. Fitz was a fringe prospect. Jackson and Kelly are far from that. Jackson actually has absurd athleticism and a nice arm

Lamar has a fragile frame and his arm is not so accurate. He will be a great player, but not at QB

Will say this though, he better be pro bowl level if we’re spending a 1st on him. That’s high for an RB.

I really think you arguing with yourself here. Im saying hes simply not as bad as people who don't think he can read a defense or should be a WR is. Yes he struggles but he has been very accurate for consistent stretches running a harder system than the #1 overall pick and is younger enough to where he can improve.

You're making a ridiculous excuse for him ("Yes he struggles but he has been very accurate for consistent stretches" is borderline nonsensical when you're talking about quarterbacks). Also, Mayock loves the kid, but even he acknowledged his issues with reading defenses beyond the first read, with accuracy, and with his too-frequent missing of the location of defenders when throwing.

I mean I cant think of another QB available that could perform at such a high level as Brady.

Back that bus up, are you really juxtaposing Jackson and Brady??

Fitz is a journeyman scrub, Kelly went to 4 SB’s and the HoF.
If Jim Kelly had Fitz' IQ, then he would've won At Least One of those 4 SB "appearances."

BTW, just because we are ok with not drafting LJ doresn't mean we have to be ok with drafting a feckin RB at #31. Talk about a wasted pick...

What’s Louisville got to do with Fitz and Kelly. Your comparison between kelly and Fitz was awful. Fitz was a fringe prospect. Jackson and Kelly are far from that. Jackson actually has absurd athleticism and a nice arm

Jackson went to Louisville, had a similar score to Kelly who went to Miami, are you really this slow?

Wonder what your wonderlic score is? ;)

I think it depends on the type of offense they run. He might now work out with the Pats but for other teams, he could be successful. Like with receivers, tell one guy, " run a 9, or 7" and he's fine. Put him in a system where he has to read and react to the defense, " in a cover 2 I run this type but in a diffeent one, I do this route" and it doesn't work for all recievers. Look at guys who grasped it early on e.g. Deion Branch, Edelman and guys who didn't depsite success in the league e.g. Ocho Cinco and Joey Galloway...

I think it depends on the type of offense they run. He might now work out with the Pats but for other teams, he could be successful. Like with receivers, tell one guy, " run a 9, or 7" and he's fine. Put him in a system where he has to read and react to the defense, " in a cover 2 I run this type but in a diffeent one, I do this route" and it doesn't work for all recievers. Look at guys who grasped it early on e.g. Deion Branch, Edelman and guys who didn't depsite success in the league e.g. Ocho Cinco and Joey Galloway...

I agree, that is why they spent so much time with him. I am just disputing how predictive the wonderlic is to predicting whether a player has a high football IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back