PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think BB is on the Autism spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everything is a disorder. I view most of these labels as personality types, not disorders

Too many people view themselves as “victims” when they’re not. And chill out, I can say this because I have one of those “special” personality types. But I don’t need special treatment from anyone because I laugh at this crap

“Oh I have ADD and I need adderol”:rolleyes:

No, you actually don’t
You’ve never known anyone that really has ADD, then. Yeah, it’s way over-diagnosed. That’s not debatable. But ADD is an actual disorder.

One time I went to Starbucks to get a cup. I waited there for over 15 minutes just to order when there only 5-6 people in line tops. The kid that was taking the order kept stopping because he would get distracted by someone talking in line, by what the kitchen staff was saying, by someone he knew coming in. I would have complained about him hardcore, but I know those symptoms. I have a good friend that takes Adderall to this day and he used to have the same symptoms in both school and work. I got to the counter and he started turning around to talk and giggle with the kitchen. I tapped him on the shoulder, waved my hand in front of his face, and told him, “You need to pay attention to me. I’m the customer now.” When I finally got my coffee (now a more than 20 minute ordeal), I simply told the girl in the back that the manager may want to pull him off the register or send him home altogether as I thought he may have needed to take his meds. She told me that they already spoke with the manager (who was running late that morning) and that it was widely known that the kid has ADD and is like that if he skips his meds. The register was simply the best place for him to be until he got sent home due to the fact that they didn’t want him to back food and coffee orders up.

It exists, for sure. If you think it’s made up, then you should be grateful you never had a kid or relative you deal with daily afflicted by it. Because they’re a pure pain in the ass when they’re off their medication.

If you really think this, then I think you are on the moron spectrum.
Admittedly, I am no expert but you exhibit similarities to all the people who I have met who are on that spectrum.

I'm not an expert, but he exhibits similarities to all of the people I've met who are on the spectrum. The lack of social norms, the ability to hyper focus, the lack of caring about appearance, the memory recall ability. Hell I even heard a story from a Kevin Faulk interview where he didn't respond to Kevin saying good morning for 3 years as they passed in the hallway. That has lack of social cues and awareness written all over it.

I think over the years BB has learned those social skills a bit more, but you can see he's only happy when talking X's and O's, football history, and fishing.

I don't think he's far into the spectrum, but definitely exhibits signs.
I doubt it, but anything’s possible, I suppose. In the bigger picture, I’m not really sure why we’d care one way or the other, though. He performs his job at the highest level possible, which is just about all anyone can ask for. That’s why he’s here and he takes that responsibility very seriously. He’s clearly the greatest coach to ever stand on the sidelines.

Personally, I don’t care what he’s like outside of the organization all that much, but he seems like he gets along in life just fine in my opinion.

I'm very familiar with the autism "spectrum" (it doesn't really work that way.) This post doesn't deserve a response.

I'm also wondering if this post is objectionable enough to be deleted. None of us, including public figures, should have this kind of speculation posed about them in public just for the entertainment of others.

I don't think Duron Harmon would appreciate this threat, considering his "My cleats, My cause" charity.

I'm not an expert, but he exhibits similarities to all of the people I've met who are on the spectrum. The lack of social norms, the ability to hyper focus, the lack of caring about appearance, the memory recall ability. Hell I even heard a story from a Kevin Faulk interview where he didn't respond to Kevin saying good morning for 3 years as they passed in the hallway. That has lack of social cues and awareness written all over it.

I think over the years BB has learned those social skills a bit more, but you can see he's only happy when talking X's and O's, football history, and fishing.

No, he doesn't.

I'm very familiar with the autism "spectrum" (it doesn't really work that way.) This post doesn't deserve a response.

I'm also wondering if this post is objectionable enough to be deleted. None of us, including public figures, should have this kind of speculation posed about them in public just for the entertainment of others.
I think the OP is a bit uneducated on the topic and is basing their observations on a TV persona and not a medical evaluation but I don't think they meant to offend or marginalize those impacted by autism.

At least I didn't take it that way.....

I'm also very familiar with this topic from my work career. You're correct.

You should have stopped after your fourth word...

There is another spectrum of disorders, one of which is individuals starting threads that are none of their business.

Impulse control disorder

Impulse-control disorder (ICD) is a class of psychiatric disorders characterized by impulsivity – failure to resist a temptation, an urge or an impulse. Many psychiatric disorders feature impulsivity, including substance-related disorders, behavioral addictions, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, conduct disorder and some mood disorders.

Impulse control disorder - Wikipedia

OP has been watching too much “The Good Doctor”.

It is really scary to the think someone would try to diagnose someone with a condition based upon what they see on TV. The diagnosis of autism is difficult and can take a while of face to face time, and often is incorrect.

Last edited:
You’ve never known anyone that really has ADD, then. Yeah, it’s way over-diagnosed. That’s not debatable. But ADD is an actual disorder.

One time I went to Starbucks to get a cup. I waited there for over 15 minutes just to order when there only 5-6 people in line tops. The kid that was taking the order kept stopping because he would get distracted by someone talking in line, by what the kitchen staff was saying, by someone he knew coming in. I would have complained about him hardcore, but I know those symptoms. I have a good friend that takes Adderall to this day and he used to have the same symptoms in both school and work. I got to the counter and he started turning around to talk and giggle with the kitchen. I tapped him on the shoulder, waved my hand in front of his face, and told him, “You need to pay attention to me. I’m the customer now.” When I finally got my coffee (now a more than 20 minute ordeal), I simply told the girl in the back that the manager may want to pull him off the register or send him home altogether as I thought he may have needed to take his meds. She told me that they already spoke with the manager (who was running late that morning) and that it was widely known that the kid has ADD and is like that if he skips his meds. The register was simply the best place for him to be until he got sent home due to the fact that they didn’t want him to back food and coffee orders up.

It exists, for sure. If you think it’s made up, then you should be grateful you never had a kid or relative you deal with daily afflicted by it. Because they’re a pure pain in the ass when they’re off their medication.
I REALLY have ADD and that’s a fact.

The difference is that it wasn’t a disorder when I was a kid. But I was the only family member that couldn’t play board games. I got in lots of fights and got in a bit of trouble now and then

Teachers struggled to keep me quiet, but I did well in school and had lots of friends

THANK GOD no one ever labeled me as a kid!! No one treated me any different either.

Now are there extremes of personality types that cause problems? Sure! And they are the only ones that we should consider it a disorder. If a kid acts like I did as a child, leave him/her alone. Don’t take them to psychiatrists and DO NOT allow them to take medications.

I wasn’t officially diagnosed until around 15 years ago, but I and my family suspected it long before. So they prescribed me adderol. Did I perform better at work and stay more focused in conversation? Yup, but I don’t like meds nor do I need them. So I told the doc I’m good and nice to see ya!

I drink around 3-5 cups of coffee per day and I’m good! BTW, ADD is often the main cause of alcoholism/addiction. I know it’s why I became an alkie. I needed something to shut my brain off. Now that I’m sober almost 30 years, I realize almost anything can be dealt with naturally. Whether through rigorous excercise, meditation or therapy. Medication is the easy answer

By the way, Starbucks should fire that kid.

Last edited:
who knows.......its possible

some people wont like you saying this

but i dont necessarily consider it bad thing.....lots of brilliant people were obviously wired differently neurologically

i also think of most personality and cognitive traits in a more dimensional way......as opposed to categorical

Yea, I know 2 friends with Aspergers who can be socially awkward at times and do not like meeting new people, but one of them was a multi millionaire at 16 years old and dropped out of highschool because his classes were getting in the way of his making money and as he put it "Why am i going to sit in a classroom all day and listen to someone making $40,000 a year tell me X, Y or Z when I could be at home making $40,000 or more a month"

Both are millionaires and run their own business, with no staff really.. they outsource all of their development, art, etc to foreign workers on sites like Freelancer.com, etc

Its also why the american economy as we know it will eventually collapse with globalization... people who own businesses will make out like bandits, but the working class (95% of working age people) will be competing with Romanians and Indians who will work for 1/4 the price because the money goes much farther in their countries than it does where we live

Aspergers is on the autism spectrum, on the lower end... I was curious to see the reactions of some posters to the OP's comments, and surprisingly a lot of people's immediate response for all intensive purposes was to piss off and ignore the thread.. which i find a bit odd, its an interesting topic.. at least for people who know successful adults on the autism spectrum

But i agree with another poster that most people on the autism spectrum aren't great leaders, although one of my friends once he really knew and trusted you, could pick up on a lot of your social queues etc that you might not have even been aware of

Its an interesting "condition", but i think it has something to do with human evolution as well.. Humans in 2017 operate daily in a WAYYYYYYY different manner than we did 50+ years ago... Which is why its stupid to compare generations to each other and try to proclaim 1 greater than the other.. kids are growing up with an incredible amount of information/data being computed in their brains at insanely young ages... the kids of today, on average, will be much smarter and have much higher brain function than any of us.. and Im only 34, and the kids are developing faster than my generation that grew up on all the new gaming systems and home computer systems.. and my generation developed faster and has a way higher IQ on average than my parents generation

Its evolution.. humans haven't hit our peak capabilities, and each generation is better than the previous generous.. Autism has some weird connection in there.. because many people with autism or who are on the spectrum can be borderline genius in some area of subject, but almost non-functioning in others..

Anyways, its an interesting topic.. if Bill had Aspergers it wouldn't be surprising to me in the slightest.. but i do find it funny how insulted/appalled/etc people's reactions are to the OP on this topic lol... like if thinking BB might be on the autism spectrum might somehow diminish what he's accomplished or something, but i would venture to guess that most people who feel that way are of the older generation.. 45+ or so

There is another spectrum of disorders, one of which is individuals starting threads that are none of their business.

Impulse control disorder

Impulse-control disorder (ICD) is a class of psychiatric disorders characterized by impulsivity – failure to resist a temptation, an urge or an impulse. Many psychiatric disorders feature impulsivity, including substance-related disorders, behavioral addictions, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, conduct disorder and some mood disorders.

Impulse control disorder - Wikipedia
Hahahahahaha!!!! Being impulsive is also a sign of ADD

But who gives a fug?:D

I REALLY have ADD and that’s a fact.

The difference is that it wasn’t a disorder when I was a kid. But I was the only family member that couldn’t play board games. I got in lots of fights and got in a bit of trouble now and then

Teachers struggled to keep me quiet, but I did well in school and had lots of friends

THANK GOD no one ever labeled me as a kid!! No one treated me any different either.

Now are there extremes of personality types that cause problems? Sure! And they are the only ones that we should consider it a disorder. If a kid acts like I did as a child, leave him/her alone. Don’t take them to psychiatrists and DO NOT allow them to take medications.

I wasn’t officially diagnosed until around 15 years ago, but I and my family suspected it long before. So they prescribed me adderol. Did I perform better at work and stay more focused in conversation? Yup, but I don’t like meds nor do I need them. So I told the doc I’m good and nice to see ya!

I drink around 3-5 cups of coffee per day and I’m good! BTW, ADD is often the main cause of alcoholism/addiction. I know it’s why I became an alkie. I needed something to shut my brain off. Now that I’m sober almost 30 years, I realize almost anything can be dealt with naturally. Whether through rigorous excercise, meditation or therapy. Medication is the easy answer

By the way, Starbucks should fire that kid.

As a fellow ADHD person, I couldn't help but chuckle at these 2 sentences that were back to back, but in separate paragraphs... because I laugh about this with my doctor all the time

Yup, but I don’t like meds nor do I need them. So I told the doc I’m good and nice to see ya!

then

I drink around 3-5 cups of coffee per day and I’m good!

This is just another example of what our society has decided to be "acceptable" drug use, and has decided to apply a stigma to other types of drugs (similar to Alcohol vs Weed)

Coffee contains CAFFEINE... a HIGHLY ADDICTIVE substance that is a stimulant.. meaning it stimulates the central nervous system and speeds up neural responses that travel from the brain to everywhere else in your body

Caffeine can cause mental disorders and drug dependence, it can have SERIOUS physical withdrawl symptoms (ive witnessed this first hand with an ATHLETIC friend of mine that drank 3+ monster energy drinks a day, then tried to stop and would get massive migraines). There is research that links even moderate caffeine use to negative health effects

So society, at least older generations.. think in their minds

Caffeine = Good
Adderall = Bad

Going to the coffee machine like its your master is worse for you than taking a proper dose of extended release adderall. I see it every day at work, everyone at meetings or commenting "I'm only on my 2nd cup, by my 3rd or 4th I should be good to go... just no one talk to me until im on at least my 3rd cup *insert HAHAHAHAHAHA laughter as everyone sips their stimulant drug*

People have made comments to me directly "You don't drink coffee!? How do you keep going throughout the day?".. Well, I take a medically prescribed dosage of extended release adderall that helps me concentrate/focus, is WAY cheaper than getting a $4-5 coffee every day and doesn't wire me up and cause withdrawl symptoms by 2PM

My doctor said it best, "People are weird.. they'll slam adderrall as some awful drug but then run and get their morning coffee over and over again... they're just self-medicating"

I'll choose Adderrall over coffee every day of the week, and be healthier for it.

Last edited:
but i think it has something to do with human evolution as well.. Humans in 2017 operate daily in a WAYYYYYYY different manner than we did 50+ years ago... Which is why its stupid to compare generations to each other and try to proclaim 1 greater than the other.. kids are growing up with an incredible amount of information/data being computed in their brains at insanely young ages... the kids of today, on average, will be much smarter and have much higher brain function than any of us.. and Im only 34, and the kids are developing faster than my generation that grew up on all the new gaming systems and home computer systems.. and my generation developed faster and has a way higher IQ on average than my parents generation

Its evolution.. humans haven't hit our peak capabilities, and each generation is better than the previous generous.. Autism has some weird connection in there.. because many people with autism or who are on the spectrum can be borderline genius in some area of subject, but almost non-functioning in others..

I find it difficult to see which of the 7 deadly sins the newer generations are dealing with in a different way.

gluttony
lust
greed
hubris
wrath
vanity
sloth

The human condition hasn't changed in thousands of years, just the speed of the data.

I think while intending to do the opposite, you managed to royally offend both Bill Belichick AND all people on the autism spectrum with this post. Good job outta you. :rolleyes:

Is the OP trying to say Bill is the NFL's version of the Rain Man?

K-Mart= On to Cincinnati? o_O

Speaking as someone who has Aspergers Syndrome... there is NWIH that Belichick is autistic. He exhibits zero of the signs of true autistic behavior.

Autism is a malfunction in human emotional processing. Bill Belichick is an archetype of emotional maturity. The autists I have met tend to be very insecure. Bill Belichick is incredibly self-assured. He's also incredibly focused, but doesn't couple that with the imbalances and tendencies towards irrational outbursts that mark the autist. He's also able to quickly escape mental traps and not get stuck in the moment. Autists really, REALLY struggle with this.

Bill Belichick is a genius in the true sense. His mind works differently than everyone else's because it works more efficiently. Autism IIRC is a condition where the connections the brain is supposed to make to its emotional processors is either weak or nonexistent, forcing the emotion centers to use inefficient secondary connections to function as part of the rest of the brain. It's a physical problem with behavioral consequences. His behavior would be entirely different if he was miswired in that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft