PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I feel like I watched a different game than most of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone have their own first impressions of the team and game? Sure. I guess you could’ve seen a very boring game that took some serious grinding to eek out a win. An uninspiring passing attack that looked slow and was never a threat to the oppositions defense. Some ridiculous sacks taken due to poor reads or lack of communication.

I could see how some people saw that. I saw what I think most people expected to see. The beginning of preseason football. A Patriots team working on their identity, trying to break-in a slew of new players all over the Offense. There was some confusion here and there, some miscommunication, lack of downfield aggressiveness.

What there was though was a vicious ground attack that absolutely embarrassed the Dolphins. Even after all the negatives that can be pointed out (and let’s be real, they should be expected) this team showed a lunch pail attitude. They showed fire, passion, didn’t back down to a damn thing. THAT’s what people are excited about! We all expect this to be a foundation to build off as the season progresses. The passing game will come, the explosive plays will come, the younger/new players will stop thinking and start playing.

How can YOU NOT be pumped? Are we going to win every game? Hell no. These next few weeks are going to be tough as hell, and I won’t be disappointed with a few L’s as long as we keep seeing growth. It’s gonna be a long roller coaster ride, and I’m excited.

Funny. I rewatched the game and was even more impressed by his performance...

1. The Pats have *nobody* who can stretch a defense. Defenses know this so every play is going to be a run, short-to-midrange pass or schemed play like a screen or end-around. The O is going to be tasked with precise execution to move the sticks, with little margin for error. We saw how Tom struggled with this late last year. Considering it was his first game after no preseason, Cam was very good working under these constraints.

2. Miami made the game's first adjustment by stacking the LOS once it was obvious the Pats wanted to run all day. Some QBs would have responded poorly. Cam seemed to revel in it, picking the Dolphins apart over the middle and with flare passes, particularly during the 3rd quarter with one TD drive and the Harry fumble drive. Great QBing coming out of the locker room after the half.

Cam had a very good debut, all things considered.

Regards,
Chris

Funny. I rewatched the game and was even more impressed by his performance...

1. The Pats have *nobody* who can stretch a defense. Defenses know this so every play is going to be a run, short-to-midrange pass or schemed play like a screen or end-around. The O is going to be tasked with precise execution to move the sticks, with little margin for error. We saw how Tom struggled with this late last year. Considering it was his first game after no preseason, Cam was very good working under these constraints.

2. Miami made the game's first adjustment by stacking the LOS once it was obvious the Pats wanted to run all day. Some QBs would have responded poorly. Cam seemed to revel in it, picking the Dolphins apart over the middle and with flare passes, particularly during the 3rd quarter with one TD drive and the Harry fumble drive. Great QBing coming out of the locker room after the half.

Cam had a very good debut, all things considered.

Regards,
Chris

Pats lose that game with Brady imo.

This thread is pure genius. The op is 100% correct, he was watching a different game. We were watching patriots/dolphins and he was watching bills/jets.

Bills fan thinks his team is going somewhere........and he's going on ignore

That may be true. For sure the game plays out differently. The one advantage Tom would have is with the OL adjustments as he has experience with 4 of the 5 guys and Andrews was back. Who knows how that would have translated into points, or even just flipping field position.

Regards,
Chris

Which is absolutely true, but NO team had a pre-season.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

It's not like there was a lack of scoring around the league.

They all didn't play a pre-season.

They still did more than 14 points in 55 minutes.
No matter what you think, the Patriots are better than the team you root for!:D:cool::D

- Playing one of the worst teams in the league last year, the offense had 7 points going into halftime, and 14 points through 55 minutes(!), despite the defense getting two interceptions which put them in Miami territory off the bat.
Did you forget the Pats lost to this team in week 17 at home with Tom Brady and the #2 seed on the line?

The rest of your post is nitpicking for a guy who played his first game with a new team and no play makers at WR/TE (aside from Edelman), but still pulled out a victory. He's the only QB to win on his new team. Harry had 7 points, but couldn't hold onto the ball. I think they missed a field goal too.

No.
I mean if they ran that offense and asked brady to run 15 times, sure, but that defense wasn’t holding brady and the patriots to 10 points.

I thought maybe the OP was a Billshits fan, but now I'm leaning more toward Felger.

Either way...total troll job

To not have fans happy with a 155 yard, 0 TD (passing) performance against the worst passing defense in the NFL last year.

So, because you have unrealistic expectations that do not take into consideration the NEW pieces on offense (Cam Newton, Devin Asiasi, Eluemenor at RT, Harry as a starter) and the fact that the game plan was focused on the RUN, everyone else should be upset about a win against a division Rival? A Division Rival the Pats LOST to in Foxboro last season, I might add. Particularly a division rival that focused on improving their defense by replacing 75% of their LB corps and brought in a new CB (top 10 in the league)?

Could you please point to the last game that the Patriots ran 40 run plays?

The game went pretty much as expected, no pre season, no scrimmages with other teams, a new QB and a modified offense. The score, numbers, may have been more palatable for some if Harry scored probably less hand wringing..

Thought the game plan was pretty much "Cam is back" so all you upcoming opponents you gotta think about this new, different weapon for the Pats.. Do not expect this many runs for Cam in the future, but his presence will keep the opposing D honest..

It was not as pretty or smooth as some of the other teams, but there are no style points in the NFL... a win is a win, against a well known division rival is even better...

Game 1 Season 1 of the post Brady Era. Every divisional win is important.

Brady's won versions of that game literally dozens of times in his career. Heck until the Moss era we would have said that that was his style, a million short passes and handing the ball off a lot.

The guy in the NFL right now who reminds me most of early years Brady is Gardner Minshew, and he just took apart what was supposed to be an improved Colts defense exactly that way.

Brady's won versions of that game literally dozens of times in his career. Heck until the Moss era we would have said that that was his style, a million short passes and handing the ball off a lot.
I should have said Brady 2019.

Look at some of things that didn't happen:

-No holding calls on the O-Line
-4 penalties (delay of game, 3 DPI)
--Two of those DPI's were generous at best
-Limited in throws, Cam stayed efficient and did not force the issue

And something that did
-Multiple runners, all did well

Disciplined, ball control offense - coupled with an equally disciplined defense.

For a week 1 game, with no pre-season and a limited camp environment, I'd say this was an excellent outing. The mental errors were absent - this is huge. The physical stuff will come to its own over the next few weeks.

Look at some of things that didn't happen:

-No holding calls on the O-Line
-4 penalties (delay of game, 3 DPI)
--Two of those DPI's were generous at best
-Limited in throws, Cam stayed efficient and did not force the issue

And something that did
-Multiple runners, all did well

Disciplined, ball control offense - coupled with an equally disciplined defense.

For a week 1 game, with no pre-season and a limited camp environment, I'd say this was an excellent outing. The mental errors were absent - this is huge. The physical stuff will come to its own over the next few weeks.

Bolded for emphasis. For a ream that is rebuilding its offense from the ground up this is huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down