PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’m pulling for Cam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Cam throwing the ball to? The same 2 people that the GOAT had last season - Edelman and White. So, were transitioning from the GOAT to CAM who has really relied on his running over his career.

Its quite sad that Cam had better receiving options in Carolina than he has right now.

WR Steve Smith is a stud and fringe HOF candidate.
TE Greg Olsen had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons scoring a combined 16 TDs.
RB Christian McAfferty a 2018 total of 1965 combined rush/receiving yard and 13 TDs

Cmon, Man.

I agree with this. I'm hoping for positivity and growth, and I died hard with the Patriots and always have, I cheered through every minute of the 2-14 1981 Ron Erhardt campaign. But I am a realist. I'm not going to put it all on Cam Newton to lead this team.

He says all the right things

is seemingly bringing a lot of energy and the team responded voting him a team captain.

If he delivers on the field (and stays healthy) this has the potential to be one of the best FA moves of all time.

He sure is....and it sure could.

When with the Panthers, Cam had the hammer and it was detrimental to his career -- the coaches ran scared of him and the coddling negatively impacted the locker-room.

The Patriots are seeing a completely different version of Cam and Belichick's subjugation of him is the single best thing that could happen to Cam at this point in his career.

It may seem trivial (and normal for a Patriots QB) but Cam doing the interview Monday on WEEI is a complete departure from his behaviour in Charlotte -- literally shocked that he did so as Cam spoke with local Charlotte media less often than Mike Jordan and Mike never, ever, ever speaks to local media!

The upside is massive!

He sure is....and it sure could.

When with the Panthers, Cam had the hammer and it was detrimental to his career -- the coaches ran scared of him and the coddling negatively impacted the locker-room.

The Patriots are seeing a completely different version of Cam and Belichick's subjugation of him is the single best thing that could happen to Cam at this point in his career.

It may seem trivial (and normal for a Patriots QB) but Cam doing the interview Monday on WEEI is a complete departure from his behaviour in Charlotte -- literally shocked that he did so as Cam spoke with local Charlotte media less often than Mike Jordan and Mike never, ever, ever speaks to local media!

The upside is massive!

Dude, I know you’re a troll, but still you’re banging the “subjugation” drum? Yikes.

Ummmmm... Aren't we all "pulling for Cam"? If he blows, the team blows and the Pats are 4-8 headed into December...

What's your issue there?

A proper chain of command doesn't sit well with you?

“When with the Panthers, Cam had the hammer and it was detrimental to his career -- the coaches ran scared of him and the coddling negatively impacted the locker-room.

Source?

“The Patriots are seeing a completely different version of Cam“

Source? Every account of Cam’s work ethic, energy and enthusiasm echos what Panthers teammates have said for years. Cam even said in recent interviews he hasn’t changed anything about his approach.

“It may seem trivial (and normal for a Patriots QB) but Cam doing the interview Monday on WEEI is a complete departure from his behaviour in Charlotte -- literally shocked that he did so as Cam spoke with local Charlotte media less often than Mike Jordan and Mike never, ever, ever speaks to local media!”

Cam didn’t talk to media, national or local, much at all outside of his weekly press conference. So the biggest difference thus far is a local radio interview.

I think the point you’re attempting to make is Cam will have to be willing to accept harsh criticism from Belichick the way Brady did for so many years, and what remains to be seen is if Belichick even goes that route and if he does will Cam take it well.

Last edited:
You know when I first heard that Pats were even remotely interested in Cam Newton I thought....screw that ....he’s a ME guy who only cares about himself....he has several injuries past few years....rotator cuff surgeries to throwing arm ...and the lisfranc (sp) injury....WTF was BB thinking?!? Can’t run as well maybe?! Throwing lame ducks?!? Gone after training camp....probably good chance. Hey it’s a ridiculously low risk and cost signing for one of games most dynamic players( unfortunately played for a weak, poorly driven owner who never stocked the fridge enough!)

So we sign him....and guess what...!? The guy is One of the MOST DRIVEN....POSITIVE.....PUMPED UP GUYS that I remember coming here!! Took whatever reps he was given....Stid Hoyer and rest of team said he’s been a great and INSPIRATIONAL teammate....BB praised him constantly and named him a captain....not something to take lightly given its BB.,...

I am now ALL IN on Cam Newton and I am pulling for him to succeed!!!! It doesn’t really matter if we make it to playoffs or what our record is....we have the toughest schedule in the past 5 years from all reports so I’m being realistic.....but give them your best Cam....and team....give em he((!!!! I think Stid could still be a top QB in this league....but he’s not ready yet....learn kid!!!!

pS Keep Jeff Thomas and J.J. Taylor BB....they will be great!!!!

I can't say I'm surprised per say, but definitely very pleased with how incredible of a work ethic Cam has.. from everything you hear from BB, teammates and the media covering the team, the one consistent thing you can pull from it all is that Cam is all-in on being the best version of himself he can be to help this team

That is all we can ask for, really hoping he does well.. He's not a bad guy, hes just got a very different personality type than we're used to and is very extroverted, but hes a very positive guy, he's smart and he works his ass off

This is going to be a fun year, just for the sheer unknown and, at least in my case, lower expectations

What did he ever do that was so ****y? SB fumble was bad but it was one incident.

Nothing.. the only "bad" thing Cam really ever did was he was a bit grumpy/debbie downer at one of his post game press conferences because he was sick of losing.. and the media just kept needling him, and he didn't respond in the best of ways... oh god the horror!

BB and his team will coach him up on how to deal with those parasites (ie; media scum). Cam has no history of getting in trouble, being a bad teammate, breaking the law, beating his kids/significant other, getting DUIs, etc etc....

So im not sure why people think of him in those terms, like he's a "risky" player because of his past.. this isnt an Albert Haynesworth, Ochocinco, Antonio Brown type player... he's nothing like those players and its unfair to categorize him in the "problem player" group

He's just extroverted and eccentric, something that we aren't really used to from our leaders on the Pats... but those aren't bad personality traits, they are just different than what we're used to

Who is Cam throwing the ball to? The same 2 people that the GOAT had last season - Edelman and White. So, were transitioning from the GOAT to CAM who has really relied on his running over his career.

Its quite sad that Cam had better receiving options in Carolina than he has right now.

WR Steve Smith is a stud and fringe HOF candidate.
TE Greg Olsen had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons scoring a combined 16 TDs.
RB Christian McAfferty a 2018 total of 1965 combined rush/receiving yard and 13 TDs

Cmon, Man.

small silver lining, Cam should be able to utilize James White fairly well in this offense.. they incorporated the RB into the passing game a lot in Carolina, and Cam will know hot to use his tight ends as well, so hopefully that helps develop the young TEs we drafted

A WR like N'Keal Harry could thrive with a player like Cam... Cam is going to give him more chances for those 50/50 jump balls, and when plays break down that would lead to a sack or Brady throwing the ball away, Cam will be able to extend the play with his legs and that will create some of those break-type plays where the WR reads the QB scrambling out of pocket.. something we have never really had except in light doses with Cassel

But it is a data point in a pattern of behaviour the previous poster said does not exist...

1 example doesnt make a pattern, besides that article what other examples do you have of this pattern of behavior?

huh? This doesn't support any sort of pattern of behavior that you were referencing... this was 1 play where he misjudged the speed of a linebacker and took a helmet to helmet shot....

and his response afterwards is a very mature response that holds himself accountable.

You don't have an argument if this is the stuff you have to back up your claims about him

Assuming Cam plays a full 16, what do you all think would be a reasonable final stat line for him given what little we know about the O right now?

Contrary to what one or two ignorant posters here will tell you, Cam has already proven to be lethal from the pocket when the offensive line gives him a chance.
Agreed; 2015 & 2018 particularly...when he had clean pockets & above average pass blocking, Cam was deadly from the pocket. People are just bias & don’t use context when watching games.

huh? This doesn't support any sort of pattern of behavior that you were referencing... this was 1 play where he misjudged the speed of a linebacker and took a helmet to helmet shot....

You don't have an argument if this is the stuff you have to back up your claims about him

There was no "misjudgement"...he decided to coast and look cool, it cost him.

Instance #1: 12/6/2015...takes his "foot off the gas" to coast (showboat) into the endzone vs. Saints & Michael Mauti rocks him. Was clearly hurt and there was some criticism of ref's for allowing him to finish the drive, and additional criticism of Panthers as to whether or not the concussion protocol was properly followed. (link: https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article48373260.html)

Sincere apology was given & assurances were made it would never happen again.

Instance #2: 10/2/2016...in the 4th Q against Falcons close to goal line again lets up to coast (showboat, already had 1 taunting penalty in the game) and again gets rocked, an official concussion is diagnosed which costs him the rest of Falcons game and the next game too (a loss to Tampa).

Bottom line is in Carolina there was a pattern of coasting/showboating/looking-cool that cost him and his team on multiple instances...

...the good news is I do not believe Belichick will tolerate any hijinks and unlike Rivera he (Bill) will coach this sort of behaviour out of Cam immediately.

PS...also attached the doc showing time wasted on 1st down celebration at crucial time in the game.Cam hits 2.pngCam hits 3.pngimproper celebration.png

Last edited:
I support Cam and who ever is the starter. It's called being a Pats fan.

Go Pats

[“When with the Panthers, Cam had the hammer and it was detrimental to his career -- the coaches ran scared of him and the coddling negatively impacted the locker-room.”]

1. Source?

[“The Patriots are seeing a completely different version of Cam“]

2. Source?

[“It may seem trivial (and normal for a Patriots QB) but Cam doing the interview Monday on WEEI is a complete departure from his behaviour in Charlotte -- literally shocked that he did so as Cam spoke with local Charlotte media less often than Mike Jordan and Mike never, ever, ever speaks to local media!”]

3. Cam didn’t talk to media, national or local, much at all outside of his weekly press conference. So the biggest difference thus far is a local radio interview.

4. I think the point you’re attempting to make is Cam will have to be willing to accept harsh criticism from Belichick the way Brady did for so many years, and what remains to be seen is if Belichick even goes that route and if he does will Cam take it well.

1. Coaches were afraid to tell Cam to get off his a** and pay attention to what was happening on the field so Smitty did it for them. Created a lot of press and negatively impacted the locker-room to point Smitty was shipped so it could become Cam's locker-room. Shipping Smitty made the team worse. (note: the passage where Rivera said he'd deal with Newton in his own way, as he always does = kid gloves)

1599679759894.png

2. Kyle Love went on the record saying Carolina coaches coddled Cam and did so because "he could be a little frail...or maybe pout" if they were tough on him...clearly that version of Cam did not show up in Foxborough.

1599680422327.png

3. Yup, and it's a giant step in the right direction. From zero one-on-one communication with local media to an open, honest & unscripted local radio interview before he's ever even played 1 game. Good on Cam! (even though I believe there's an element of "this is how we do things" driving it, which again is a huge positive for Cam and his career development)

4. Yes, as illustrated by Love's comments above the key issue is will Cam be able to handle Belichick's style of coaching...and so far he's off to a good start.

Do you really think Belichick will do an about-face on his coaching style just to accommodate Cam?

Last edited:
1. Coaches were afraid to tell Cam to get off his a** and pay attention to what was happening on the field so Smitty did it for them. Created a lot of press and negatively impacted the locker-room to point Smitty was shipped so it could become Cam's locker-room. Shipping Smitty made the team worse.

View attachment 28541

2. Kyle Love went on the record saying Carolina coaches coddled Cam and did so because "he could be a little frail...or maybe pout" if they were tough on him...clearly that version of Cam did not show up in Foxborough.

View attachment 28542

3. Yup, and it's a giant step in the right direction. From zero one-on-one communication with local media to an open, honest & unscripted local radio interview before he's ever even played 1 game. Good on Cam! (even though I believe there's an element of "this is how we do things" driving it, which again is a huge positive for Cam and his career development)

4. Yes, as illustrated by Love's comments above the key issue is will Cam be able to handle Belichick's style of coaching...and so far he's off to a good start.

Do you really think Belichick will do an about-face on his coaching style just to accommodate Cam?

The stuff with Steve Smith, you’re talking about Cam’s rookie and sophomore season. You’re using an article from Sept. 2012 to make your case? And Steve Smith never did any good for the locker room, and the Panthers went 17-1 and to the Super Bowl two seasons after letting him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots