PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Much Is Jason McCourty Worth To The Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Jason McCourty will return. The Patriots have cheaper alternatives and are good at picking up UDFAs.
I think his performance here was pretty inconsistent and he and Devon are on downside of their career....we can get a lot of better players for less cash imho

I think he'll want at least 4.5m per to come back. You don't win a Superbowl and accept a paycut.

When you have been a loser most of your career and you get a taste of winning, it is worth a few million to not give that up?

Jason should take a 2.0 million deal to stay.

Maybe Devin will take a pay cut, so his brother can come back. Isn't his number at 9 million next year? Drop that to five, so your brother can stay for four. Lol

The guy ranked as the #11 coverage CB according to PFF's grades. He was pretty good.

thank you for the clarifications.

1) Do you think that the Lions would give 2nd for Jones?

2) I don't think that prospects for Dawson (who has shown nothing yet) will affect our need for a veteran starting type corner like Jason. In fact, I think that the youth would make us more likely to sign Jason.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. The very first thing that I stated was that: "I'd like to see Jason back for another year." Depending on Dawson's development (a mystery man so far), and on whether or not Jones is back (I could see Lions or Dolphins making a strong push for him, for example), my suggestion was that a contract offer to Jason might be a little more likely. I don't know if the team will decide that the youngsters are sufficient, or if they'll prefer the veteran leadership and steady play Jason brings. Re-signing Jason is my preference, which is why I said that I'd like to keep them all. I never suggested we should get younger just to get younger.

Oh, and while we're discussing the young corners, Crossen was a draft favorite of mine, but he hasn't set the world on fire on defense. He's been good on special teams, and I'm still positive regarding his continued development, but I don't think he's reliable depth just yet. If Jones leaves in FA, and Dawson and Crossen don't take the next step, then depth looks poor.

The second part of my comment was unclear -- I was thinking of the secondary in general, not just CB, when I mentioned a need for understudies. Chung and D. McCourty will probably start another 1 - 3 years, but they're both likely on the back end of their careers. Perhaps Melifonwu steps up and becomes a more consistent player. Perhaps not. But as much as I like Harmon, he doesn't play quite the same role as Chung or McCourty. I would expect the Patriots to add a safety in the draft somewhere in the top 100 picks.

I could be off here, but I suspect one of the reasons Devin is coming back this year, is because he knows his bro is gonna be in the same locker room.

Duke...Duke...Duke...Duke of Earl...Duke...Duke...Duke...Duke of Earl.:)

Keep him and you don’t really need to invest almost nothing in the secondary through the draft, focus on the D-line and offense.

thank you for the clarifications.

1) Do you think that the Lions would give 2nd for Jones?

2) I don't think that prospects for Dawson (who has shown nothing yet) will affect our need for a veteran starting type corner like Jason. In fact, I think that the youth would make us more likely to sign Jason.

1) I do not. My assumption is that we'll use the 2nd round tender, but if we use the original round then I'll consider him as good as gone. I was considering possibilities, not predicting what I think definitely will happen.

2) I think we're in agreement; we've just come to the conclusion by different means. I probably ramble too much and it obfuscates my point.

Keep him and you don’t really need to invest almost nothing in the secondary through the draft, focus on the D-line and offense.

I would like to see a safety.

I could be off here, but I suspect one of the reasons Devin is coming back this year, is because he knows his bro is gonna be in the same locker room.
The fact that both of them were contemplating retirement should scare teams away from doing any kind of long-term deal. I also agree that Devin committing to a return can be seen as a good sign regarding Jason staying. I can foresee Devin cutting his pay to about $6m and Jason signing for 1 year, $4.5m with incentives based on play time. If the young guys don’t develop as quickly as hoped and you rely on Jason a lot, he gets paid more. Or, alternatively, if injuries necessitate him playing a depth role at safety, he gets paid more.

The fact that both of them were contemplating retirement should scare teams away from doing any kind of long-term deal. I also agree that Devin committing to a return can be seen as a good sign regarding Jason staying. I can foresee Devin cutting his pay to about $6m and Jason signing for 1 year, $4.5m with incentives based on play time. If the young guys don’t develop as quickly as hoped and you rely on Jason a lot, he gets paid more. Or, alternatively, if injuries necessitate him playing a depth role at safety, he gets paid more.

I agree. And I think keeping Jason around another year will only help the young guys learn and grow at a good pace without being thrown into the fire. In a perfect world Devin takes a cut that helps secure Jason signing another year. Not sure it will happen...but their is hope.

They need to address the safety issue, because they're starting to age back there. If they think think Melifonwu can do that, it's a problem at least partially solved. If they don't think that Melifonwu is going to work out, they should look to bring someone in, whether through FA or the draft.

I agree. And I think keeping Jason around another year will only help the young guys learn and grow at a good pace without being thrown into the fire. In a perfect world Devin takes a cut that helps secure Jason signing another year. Not sure it will happen...but their is hope.
I agree. I think it’s one year too soon for the younger guys, but could certainly see them taking over next year.

They need to address the safety issue, because they're starting to age back there. If they think think Melifonwu can do that, it's a problem at least partially solved. If they don't think that Melifonwu is going to work out, they should look to bring someone in, whether through FA or the draft.
Yup. McCourty only has a year or two left and Chung is getting older. Harmon is still in a good spot but is closer to the end than the beginning and isn’t really a starting safety for the team, though he is pretty good in his role. Jury’s still out on Melifonwu. I can certainly see a safety or two drafted, and I think bringing Jason back also helps patch the back end of the safety depth chart if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News