PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Mac Jones Looked in His First Start Compared With Tom Brady

dannydyn

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty interesting tidbit

Turning the page after a loss will be key for Jones, who draws the 0-1 New York Jets on the road in Week 2. Brady also went on the road in his second week as a starter and turned in a clunker, completing 12 of 24 passes for 86 yards in a 30-10 loss to the Dolphins at Pro Player Stadium.

Oh my god maybe put Mac Jones in the NFL of 2001 coming out of a college which all ran amateur style offenses and see how he does. This is a dumb comparison. The MVP of 2001 threw 22 picks. Different league.
Brady came out in 2000 and had a year in the Pats system. That said, it’s comparing apples to oranges.

Mac already looks better than Brady did his first year. Mac was named the starter, Brady was not until the following year. Brady was what, 1-4 vs Detroit in his first game action?

And let's not forget that the Patriots have continuity now on offense, a long history of running their offense in this league. The 2001 Patriots were coming off an offense designed for big armed Drew Bledsoe, and it was still a Ron Erhardt offense. Weis is the guy who designed what we have now, but he was not yet who he was to become.

That being said, Mac Jones's throwing style and his pocket presence reminds me a lot of.... Peyton Manning. Not Brady.

We're really going to do **** like this? After one freaking game?
Well, are you going to be more excited when stats like "Jones vs Brady: Points in the 3rd quarter below 32f when ahead by 7 at home."

because you know it will happen

This is going to be a thing for a the entirity of Mac's career, might as well get used to :excited::)

Doing the stat comparison is silly given how the Polian rules and the other changes this last decade have completely changed the game.

Most people are making their Mac Jones evaluations based on the eye test. It therefore makes sense to make the Brady analysis on that basis too.

Have at it. Interesting that the 1st offensive passing play attempts had similar outcomes.

I remember watching this live at the time (on tv) and thinking, this kid doesn’t look so bad, we should be able to weather the storm until Bledsoe returns. Rewatching today, I can certainly see the pocket presence, playbook knowledge, and general accuracy that was his foundation for greater things to come.

Different time, different game.
As much as I am pro Mac, I agree! It is really not fair to compare QBs, coaches, or teams from different times.
Everyone wants to ask who is better Bear or Saban? Impossible to answer! Totally different times, rules, even the way National Championships are awarded.
Same thing with QBs. College QBs coming out of college now are so much more prepared for the NFL than 20 years ago because the game has changed so dramatically in college!

Mac will never be as good as Brady. He will never be in Brady’s league nor in the conversation for GOAT.

And that’s ok. He has his own story to write. It’s a new era now and it’s Mac’s team.

The end.

Mac will never be as good as Brady. He will never be in Brady’s league. Very likely won’t be in the conversation either. And that’s ok. He has his own story to write.

The end.

Precisely because the game has changed, in 20 years someone other than Brady will be widely regarded as being the new GOAT. Maybe Mahomes, but nobody knows. Almost every top QB prospect has a higher ceiling than Mac, because their ceiling is Tom Brady with legs. I agree that Mac can't be the new GOAT, because he lacks the legs. Trey Lance and Justin Fields have a much higher ceiling than Mac because they might some day be better than Brady because of their legs.

Mac will never be as good as Brady. He will never be in Brady’s league nor in the conversation for GOAT.

And that’s ok. He has his own story to write. It’s a new era now and it’s Mac’s team.

The end.
That's certainly the safe bet, given the numbers.... but only because of that. Right now he's a good rookie. You don't know that he can't be in that conversation. He's just gotta win like 8 SBs before we think about it.

And let's not forget that the Patriots have continuity now on offense, a long history of running their offense in this league. The 2001 Patriots were coming off an offense designed for big armed Drew Bledsoe, and it was still a Ron Erhardt offense. Weis is the guy who designed what we have now, but he was not yet who he was to become.

That being said, Mac Jones's throwing style and his pocket presence reminds me a lot of.... Peyton Manning. Not Brady.

I was going to say Drew Brees. A ton of completions and sky high completion rates. Minus an enormous forehead.

Precisely because the game has changed, in 20 years someone other than Brady will be widely regarded as being the new GOAT. Maybe Mahomes, but nobody knows. Almost every top QB prospect has a higher ceiling than Mac, because their ceiling is Tom Brady with legs. I agree that Mac can't be the new GOAT, because he lacks the legs. Trey Lance and Justin Fields have a much higher ceiling than Mac because they might some day be better than Brady because of their legs.

I understand and am for how the game has changed in the nfl and nba, but...

Just like how high scoring PGs have basically not panned out as champions the last 20 years over field general PGs... I fail to see how a ton of dual run/pass QBs are going to revolutionize football. End of the day Mahomes throws for a ton. Maybe when Kyler Murray wins it all I'll believe it. Until then I think the whole running QB as future narrative, is false.

The end.

What you wrote can't be known. You don't know that. No one knows that.

It's very likely Mac (nor any QB not named Tom Brady) doesn't end up being the GOAT, but we have no way of knowing right now. To go a step further and say Mac "will never be in Brady's league" seems pretty negative. Maybe Mac won't ... but he might, right? Why not root for it?

Can't make a bunch of hypothetical statements that are contingent on future events that have yet to happen and say "the end".
No, it's not "the end", and that's the whole damn point of watching the games.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back