PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Good Does Mac Have To Be To Get His Option Picked Up?

I'll mention another name gino Smith.. he isn't a perennial all pro and he got paid too! Point I'm trying to make is Mac doesn't have to be perfect to get his option picked up. The salary for good QB play is what is it.. Dan Jones is the comparison I made from a PRODUCTION standpoint not the actual QB persay.
If he is healthy and his production this year matches jones last year he will be gone. 3200 yards and 15 TDs us more likely to get a qb benched than paid.
Stats are a bad way to judge a QB. Many QBs who will never win anything can put up good numbers on mediocre teams. Accumulating stats has more to do with the style the team plays than causation of winning.
The difference making at QB is what you do when the game is on the line. That’s true whether you are in an offense that throws it 25 times or 50.
It’s very simply to me, what jones needs to do is win.

If he is healthy and his production this year matches jones last year he will be gone. 3200 yards and 15 TDs us more likely to get a qb benched than paid.
Stats are a bad way to judge a QB. Many QBs who will never win anything can put up good numbers on mediocre teams. Accumulating stats has more to do with the style the team plays than causation of winning.
The difference making at QB is what you do when the game is on the line. That’s true whether you are in an offense that throws it 25 times or 50.
I hear ya.. but unfortunately stats are what the league goes by and what commands the players pay day. I like to use the eye test myself.. but I'm just a fan of The game. Daniel Jones got his team to the second round In the playoffs so that also is what the giants likely looked at. Not forgetting he has a dam good coach in dabol and QB whisperer. If Mac matches or what I think surpasses his 2021 production he will be fine. It would be even more apparent if the team was winning as well.

Daniel Jones sucks.
Daniels Jones (53 Starts)

Passer Rating = 86.5
Passing Y/G = 214.9
Passing Y/A = 6.7
TD% = 3.4%
INT% = 2.0%
300+ Yard Games = 8
4+ TD games = 3
Game-Winning Drives = 8

Rushing Y/G =31.6
Rushing Y/A = 5.8
Rushing TDs = 12
50+ Yard Games = 11

Mac Jones (31 Starts)

Passer Rating = 89.0
Passing Y/G = 219.3
Passing Y/A = 7.1
TD% = 3.7%
INT% = 2.5%
300+ Yard Games = 4
4+ TD Games = 0
Game-Winning Drives = 1

Rushing Y/G =7.5
Rushing Y/A = 2.5
Rushing TDs = 1
50+ Yard Games = 0

Passer Rating = 86.5
Passing Y/G = 214.9
Passing Y/A = 6.7
TD% = 3.4%
INT% = 2.0%
300+ Yard Games = 8
4+ TD games = 3
Game-Winning Drives = 8

Rushing Y/G =31.6
Rushing Y/A = 5.8
Rushing TDs = 12
50+ Yard Games = 11

Mac Jones (31 Starts)

Passer Rating = 89.0
Passing Y/G = 219.3
Passing Y/A = 7.1
TD% = 3.7%
INT% = 2.5%
300+ Yard Games = 4
4+ TD Games = 0
Game-Winning Drives = 1

Rushing Y/G =7.5
Rushing Y/A = 2.5
Rushing TDs = 1
50+ Yard Games = 0
Mac's rookie year passing is as good or better than Daniel Jones last season in year four... the best passing season of Dan's career.

XYaAsYz.png

Patricia messed with Mac's career stats in year two. A smaller sample size and total unknown which way Mac will go. We know who Dan is in an optimal situation and fully developed. Mac potentially can be much better passer than Daniel, Mac has to eliminate the interceptions and he'll be really good.

Dan's a pretty good runner, I'll take the better passer 100% of the time. I'll take the unknown of Mac/Zappe over the known and price tag of Daniel Jones all day/every day.

Last edited:

Passer Rating = 86.5
Passing Y/G = 214.9
Passing Y/A = 6.7
TD% = 3.4%
INT% = 2.0%
300+ Yard Games = 8
4+ TD games = 3
Game-Winning Drives = 8

Rushing Y/G =31.6
Rushing Y/A = 5.8
Rushing TDs = 12
50+ Yard Games = 11

Mac Jones (31 Starts)

Passer Rating = 89.0
Passing Y/G = 219.3
Passing Y/A = 7.1
TD% = 3.7%
INT% = 2.5%
300+ Yard Games = 4
4+ TD Games = 0
Game-Winning Drives = 1

Rushing Y/G =7.5
Rushing Y/A = 2.5
Rushing TDs = 1
50+ Yard Games = 0
Daniel Jones sucks. Leave it to the patriot hater to try and turn that into criticism of the patriots.

So then Eli Manning >> Tom Brady because he beat him twice?

Winning is a team stat.

A QB can be one of the best in the league, but if his defense is ranked 32nd in points allowed, no amount of “clutch” is going to win him games.

It’s not coincidence the teams you find in the playoffs by season’s end are overwhelmingly the best at point differential. Points scored/points allowed.

A great QB can’t make a terrible defense good, can’t fix bad special teams or carry idiot coaches to championships. That’s a myth.

Winning is a team stat.

A QB can be one of the best in the league, but if his defense is ranked 32nd in points allowed, no amount of “clutch” is going to win him games.

It’s not coincidence the teams you find in the playoffs by season’s end are overwhelmingly the best at point differential. Points scored/points allowed.

A great QB can’t make a terrible defense good, can’t fix bad special teams or carry idiot coaches to championships. That’s a myth.
Winning is the only goal. The QB is the most important player and contributes the most to winning or losing.
They don’t determine winning or losing by stats they determine it by how they play when the game is on the line.
Good QBs win consistently bad QBs lose consistently. QBs with gaudy stats that shrink when it matters rarely win.

I'd say that about Gronk.

But Tom's a thoughtful, intelligent guy. Many could consider his departure a Parcells-like betrayal, except Tom succeeded more than Bill.

Brady gave the Patriots the chance to keep him and they said Sayonara. Egregious on the team's part, insulting him with such little regard for his effort and contributions and dedication and... common sense and sacrifice, being underpaid for the better part of two decades.

"Okay, keep your flying elvis, I'm outa here."

Is this your opinion, or do you have something factual o back it up?

There is nothing to support Brady wanted to stay other than “I’m sure Tom wouldn’t leave me if he wasn’t forced to”.
There is more to indicate he chose to leave.
None of us will ever know the real truth.

Winning is the only goal. The QB is the most important player and contributes the most to winning or losing.
They don’t determine winning or losing by stats they determine it by how they play when the game is on the line.
Good QBs win consistently bad QBs lose consistently. QBs with gaudy stats that shrink when it matters rarely win.
Deshaun Watson led the entire NFL in total offense and passing in 2020, his team won 4 games... it wasn't because he wasn't "clutch" enough. That's nonsense...it was because his defense was ranked 30th in points per drive allowed and dead last in forced turnovers.... they were the worst defense in the league.

Drew Brees led the NFL in passing three years in a row, he won 7 games three years in a row. It wasn't because he wasn't "clutch" enough, it was because his defense was ranked 31st in points allowed in 2014, 32nd in 2015 and 32nd in 2016... they were the worst defense in the league.

Having the best or top three QB in the league is worth single digit wins... that's how important a great QB is in relation to having a great team. QB's can't make a terrible defense good, that's fan nonsense.

You're attributing team success to one player, it's easily the worst take in pro football.

Last edited:

Drew Brees led the NFL in passing three years in a row, he won 7 games three years in a row. It wasn't because he wasn't "clutch" enough, it was because his defense was ranked 31st in points allowed in 2014, 32nd in 2015 and 32nd in 2016... they were the worst defense in the league.

Having the best or top three QB in the league is worth single digit wins... that's how important a great QB is in relation to having a great team. QB's can't make a terrible defense good, that's fan nonsense.

You're attributing team success to one player, it's easily the worst take in pro football.
As an aside, this is why the blathering about Sean Payton being a great coach rubs me the wrong way. He had Brees for 16 years and got to ONE Super Bowl. Bill goto to 9 with Brady. Is the difference in QB play between Brees and Brady really worth EIGHT super bowls?

And you get this wrong ALL THE TIME. Really your consistency is remarkable. What is so difficult for you to understand about percentages? No one has ever said in the history of mankind that one player is entirely responsible for 100% of a team's success. It's about who gets the majority of that 100%.

In the case of the Patriots Dynasty, the individual who gets the majority of the credit for the team's success is Tom Brady. Not 100%, not 90%, or whatever number you think debunks the idea of it. But there is a number there for anyone of us to propose. I say 40% Brady and then smaller percentages in descending order to any number of other individuals until it adds up to 100%. Maybe someone else says Brady 20%, much lower than mine, but they still have Brady with the greatest percentage. It's a reasonable exercise that almost universally will result with Brady at the top.

So you want to be a completely lame about it then stick with your equal percentages among all 53 and however many coaches and assistants there are. Or you can be reasonable and just acknowledge the obvious that some players or coaches are contributing more than others and they are more important to the cumulative success of the team.

As an aside, this is why the blathering about Sean Payton being a great coach rubs me the wrong way. He had Brees for 16 years and got to ONE Super Bowl. Bill goto to 9 with Brady.
BB got to 9 Super Bowls in 18 seasons with Brady. Yet BB has got to 0 Super Bowls in 10 seasons without Brady. BB also won 1 playoff game in those 10 seasons. Payton had Brees for 15 seasons in New Orleans... 9 playoff seasons, 3 NFCCG appearances, and 1 Super Bowl title. Mora, Dungy (HOF), and Caldwell had Manning for 13 seasons in Indianapolis... 11 playoff seasons, 3 AFCCG appearances, and 1 Super Bowl title.

Is the difference in QB play between Brees/Manning and Brady really worth multiple Super Bowls? Well, yes, obviously.

Daniel Jones sucks. Leave it to the patriot hater to try and turn that into criticism of the patriots.
I gave you stats straight up. I didn't say one word about who's a better quarterback. But judging by your reaction I can tell you didn't like what you saw.

Dan's a pretty good runner, I'll take the better passer 100% of the time. I'll take the unknown of Mac/Zappe over the known and price tag of Daniel Jones all day/every day.
DJ was very effective as a runner in 2022. If he keeps it up then it will continue to be a big part of their offense. DJ has shown a much higher ceiling than MJ in single game passing. DJ has also produced a game-winning drive in 38% of his wins (8 of 21). MJ has a game-winning drive in only 6% of his wins (1 of 16). MJ's complete lack of any signature moment(s) to start his career is a red flag alert.

Passer Rating = 86.5
Passing Y/G = 214.9
Passing Y/A = 6.7
TD% = 3.4%
INT% = 2.0%
300+ Yard Games = 8
4+ TD games = 3
Game-Winning Drives = 8

Rushing Y/G =31.6
Rushing Y/A = 5.8
Rushing TDs = 12
50+ Yard Games = 11

Mac Jones (31 Starts)

Passer Rating = 89.0
Passing Y/G = 219.3
Passing Y/A = 7.1
TD% = 3.7%
INT% = 2.5%
300+ Yard Games = 4
4+ TD Games = 0
Game-Winning Drives = 1

Rushing Y/G =7.5
Rushing Y/A = 2.5
Rushing TDs = 1
50+ Yard Games = 0
Tell Belichick so we fans don't have to endure the tedious crawl to 347.
And you get this wrong ALL THE TIME. Really your consistency is remarkable. What is so difficult for you to understand about percentages? No one has ever said in the history of mankind that one player is entirely responsible for 100% of a team's success. It's about who gets the majority of that 100%.

In the case of the Patriots Dynasty, the individual who gets the majority of the credit for the team's success is Tom Brady. Not 100%, not 90%, or whatever number you think debunks the idea of it. But there is a number there for anyone of us to propose. I say 40% Brady and then smaller percentages in descending order to any number of other individuals until it adds up to 100%. Maybe someone else says Brady 20%, much lower than mine, but they still have Brady with the greatest percentage. It's a reasonable exercise that almost universally will result with Brady at the top.

So you want to be a completely lame about it then stick with your equal percentages among all 53 and however many coaches and assistants there are. Or you can be reasonable and just acknowledge the obvious that some players or coaches are contributing more than others and they are more important to the cumulative success of the team.
BB got to 9 Super Bowls in 18 seasons with Brady. Yet BB has got to 0 Super Bowls in 10 seasons without Brady. BB also won 1 playoff game in those 10 seasons. Payton had Brees for 15 seasons in New Orleans... 9 playoff seasons, 3 NFCCG appearances, and 1 Super Bowl title. Mora, Dungy (HOF), and Caldwell had Manning for 13 seasons in Indianapolis... 11 playoff seasons, 3 AFCCG appearances, and 1 Super Bowl title.

Is the difference in QB play between Brees/Manning and Brady really worth multiple Super Bowls? Well, yes, obviously.
I gave you stats straight up. I didn't say one word about who's a better quarterback. But judging by your reaction I can tell you didn't like what you saw.
DJ was very effective as a runner in 2022. If he keeps it up then it will continue to be a big part of their offense. DJ has shown a much higher ceiling than MJ in single game passing. DJ has also produced a game-winning drive in 38% of his wins (8 of 21). MJ has a game-winning drive in only 6% of his wins (1 of 16). MJ's complete lack of any signature moment(s) to start his career is a red flag alert.

360_F_84235400_Z2NKnptscGEpjLZ68Ln3RMNx3a8l2HdR.jpg

Leave it to you to drag this thread back to a Brady ***********.

Brady played with better teams and better consistent talent than any of his peers for over two decades.

r0W9MDM.png

He never played with a defense that approached 32nd worst like Brees did for three straight years... not even close. You're a drooling fanboy.

Last edited:
There is nothing to support Brady wanted to stay other than “I’m sure Tom wouldn’t leave me if he wasn’t forced to”.
There is more to indicate he chose to leave.
None of us will ever know the real truth.
Tom definitely chose to leave. He wanted to two years earlier but Kraft talked him into staying a little longer.
I don't always keep up with the news, but I apparently missed this treatment of Brady:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back