PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good are these young CB’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you referring to Cy Jones? Jon Jones was in every game last season. He was the #1 sub for Rowe.
Jonathan Jones was a missing link to me in SB.He was very consistent point of our DBs and third in snaps amongst our CBs.I have missed him more than Butler.

Jonathan Jones was a missing link to me in SB.He was very consistent point of our DBs and third in snaps amongst our CBs.I have missed him more than Butler.

To me he is the wild card. If j Jones is back healthy and playing like he was last season, our secondary will be much improved over the super bowl secondary,

No I’m referring to Jon. I still count him as a young CB.

My apologies. I think I might have replied to the wrong comment. I was trying to respond to one that said "Jones missed a lot of time last year."

Cy was on IR. Jon didn't miss a regular season game.

I agree that Jon is still a young CB.

In 2017, Butler didn't really play his assignments up to his previous standards very often at all, in either the regular season, or the post-season. Personally, I think part of that may have been from him trying too hard to help compensate for the truly awful run-D that the Pats were forced into putting on the field (for lack of capable front-six personnel). There were simply too many other major and unfixable issues with the defense last season for Butler's presence by itself to have made the difference in the Superbowl.

If you put this current (Butler-less) defense on the field against that same Eagles team, the Pats might have won by 33-24 or better.

I agree mostly but we almost won that Super Bowl so the issues aren’t so bad that we need a major overhaul. Considering a play here or there could have made the difference, one person could have turned the outcome, such as Cooks running and jumping every which way instead of a first down, twice.

I think this current roster is better too.

I agree mostly but we almost won that Super Bowl so the issues aren’t so bad that we need a major overhaul. Considering a play here or there could have made the difference, one person could have turned the outcome, such as Cooks running and jumping every which way instead of a first down, twice.

I think this current roster is better too.

Well, the run defense needed a major overhaul. And it got one.

Well if one player could have made a difference, there's a long list of "ifs" in addition to Butler.

Well, including JMac (but not Ebner), the Pats have four safeties. The fact that JMac (and DMac) can also backup CB is merely a bonus.

I'm considering Crossen as ST-ONLY for 2018, Meaning that there are 5 CBs on the roster. Dawson is currently dinged up, and Rowe has a habit of spending half the season in the tub. I don't see this as "too many" at all.

OK.

Then, if Crossen weren't here we'd need another top special teamer to take his place. I guess we'll see the situation in the first couple of games. Personally, I'd don't expect Crossen to be active.

OK.

Then, if Crossen weren't here we'd need another top special teamer to take his place. I guess we'll see the situation in the first couple of games. Personally, I'd don't expect Crossen to be active.

It seems likely that he won't be active, at least early on - and possibly inactive for most games unless there's an injury to another ST. I see him as a scout-team player for the moment, a prospect with enough development potential that the Pats didn't want to risk him on waivers, at least not right away.

I would then label Crossen as a developmental player, one who we don't expect to be active in 2018, unless there are a couple of injuries on special teams. To me, this is much, much different that having the role of a regular team special teamer. If they are special enough, we can afford to carry a couple of developmental players.

IMO, I don't see Jackson as any different.

It seems likely that he won't be active, at least early on - and possibly inactive for most games unless there's an injury to another ST. I see him as a scout-team player for the moment, a prospect with enough development potential that the Pats didn't want to risk him on waivers, at least not right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes