PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does the Patriots offense change without Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Edelman over any other WR in the league. You can't coach the kind of heart and grit he has.
That's nuts. Actually probably just blind homerism.

The offense has a harder time on third down in the playoffs... Last year they were 51% on third down in the post season... Without Edelman they'll be in the low 40s....In 2015 after Edelman got hurt the Pats were 29% on third down after being over 50%....yes I know Gronkowski was hurt as well

In 2015 we didn't have a superstar WR like cooks or a top deep threat like hogan. Also didn't have Mitchell.

I would take Edelman over any other WR in the league. You can't coach the kind of heart and grit he has.

This is a blind homer and somewhat embarrassing opinion.

Edelman is not the best receiver in the league. But he may be the very best in the role he plays for the Patriots. He rarely gets taken out of having an impact on a game, and when he does, it is at the expense of opening up chances for others. He truly is a Swiss Army knife - good at many aspects of the game. And do you really think OBJ would last in NE?

It's laughable. I mean no intelligent patriots fans thinks a 31 year old Edelman is the best WR in the NFL.

If the falcons offered you Julio Jones straight up for Edelman next year, what would you say?

Edelman is not the best receiver in the league. But he may be the very best in the role he plays for the Patriots. He rarely gets taken out of having an impact on a game, and when he does, it is at the expense of opening up chances for others. He truly is a Swiss Army knife - good at many aspects of the game. And do you really think OBJ would last in NE?

Brady would set records with a talent like obj. Do you realize how talented he is?

Your telling me Julio Jones couldn't do what Edelman does in this offense plus more?

Randy Moss lasted 3 years, an idiot like OBJ would not make it 3 months without serious attitude changes. No matter how talented he is. JJ is a tremendous receiver, but not at doing many of the things Jules does. He is not a down and dirty player like Edelman. And it still bothers me that in the biggest game of his life - he was targeted just 4 times! Tell me about all the double teams - he still should get more than 4 targets in the Super Bowl. TO got similar treatment and caught 10 balls I believe.

If the falcons offered you Julio Jones straight up for Edelman next year, what would you say?
Assuming the deal includes contracts as-is also, I'd say no. What Edelman does for NE is as scarce as what JJ does for Atlanta. Maybe more so, lots of teams have had freak WRs who put up numbers that ultimately don't equal wins. Megatron, AJ Green, Julio himself, Marshall, Dez, et al everyone you take over JE on "talent" probably. NE been running guys in and out of that role for 17 years. At a fraction of the cost of a Julio Jones. Is JE "better"? I guess not? His ring hand is heavier.

Lots of factors there of course, TB being #1, but SB42 is proof alone that the beast WR isn't enough.

It's laughable. I mean no intelligent patriots fans thinks a 31 year old Edelman is the best WR in the NFL.

Yes, but I would be looking for a replacement for a 31 year old receiver and what he does - because JJ would not replace what JE11 does - he has other strengths.

Randy Moss lasted 3 years, an idiot like OBJ would not make it 3 months without serious attitude changes. No matter how talented he is. JJ is a tremendous receiver, but not at doing many of the things Jules does. He is not a down and dirty player like Edelman. And it still bothers me that in the biggest game of his life - he was targeted just 4 times! Tell me about all the double teams - he still should get more than 4 targets in the Super Bowl. TO got similar treatment and caught 10 balls I believe.
They threw 23 passes. 4/23 = 18%
Edelman had 13/62 which is 20%

They threw 23 passes. 4/23 = 18%
Edelman had 13/62 which is 20%
They TARGETED their best player 4 times in the Super Bowl! Less than 10% of the plays they ran. Edelman was targeted 13 times, ran a jet sweep I believe, threw a pass and had 1-2 punt returns I think.

They TARGETED their best player 4 times in the Super Bowl! Less than 10% of the plays they ran. Edelman was targeted 13 times, ran a jet sweep I believe, threw a pass and had 1-2 punt returns I think.
It might have something to do with the Falcons O playing against the best D in the NFL. That is how that works.

It might have something to do with the Falcons O playing against the best D in the NFL. That is how that works.

They were 4-4 targeting him. Seems a 5th, 6th and 7th attempt were in order.

They were 4-4 targeting him. Seems a 5th, 6th and 7th attempt were in order.
Again, maybe the best D in the league decided to take away Atlanta's best player. Probably wasn't the first time or the last time something like that went down.

Contrast with the Texans playoff game. Mitchell not playing, Floyd a non factor, Amendola caught no balls - Edelman was easily the #1 option and the great Texans D (#1 on yards, were they not) knew it. Edelman caught 8 for 137.

Contrast with the Texans playoff game. Mitchell not playing, Floyd a non factor, Amendola caught no balls - Edelman was easily the #1 option and the great Texans D (#1 on yards, were they not) knew it. Edelman caught 8 for 137.

IS your point that JE is so amazing that he can shred Ds even when they know the ball is coming his way and opposed to JJ who's QB wouldnt even bother throwing to?

I assume you spoke to BOB about his game plan against the Pats also?

Assuming the deal includes contracts as-is also, I'd say no. What Edelman does for NE is as scarce as what JJ does for Atlanta. Maybe more so, lots of teams have had freak WRs who put up numbers that ultimately don't equal wins. Megatron, AJ Green, Julio himself, Marshall, Dez, et al everyone you take over JE on "talent" probably. NE been running guys in and out of that role for 17 years. At a fraction of the cost of a Julio Jones. Is JE "better"? I guess not? His ring hand is heavier.

Lots of factors there of course, TB being #1, but SB42 is proof alone that the beast WR isn't enough.

Good, you said it yourself. Edelman is not better. He is not the best WR in the league.

IS your point that JE is so amazing that he can shred Ds even when they know the ball is coming his way and opposed to JJ who's QB wouldnt even bother throwing to?

I assume you spoke to BOB about his game plan against the Pats also?

First of all, Edelman has been consistently catching 7 balls a game even when people know he is a security blanket - especially on 3rd down. Like Welker before him. They must have some talent.

Second, Atlanta has often said they were happy with Jones some games being a decoy in effect - even Jones has said that. Fine, but in big games, great players need to be great and not be a decoy. Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin made sure they impacted the big games. If Atlanta wins, no one gives it a second thought. But if the Falcons reach another SB, I assure you JJ will have more than 4 targets.

Oh stop it.. julio is way more physical than Edelman

Julio can do way more things than Edelman can, at a much higher level.

Edelman gets to play with the greatest QB of all time, Julio plays with a slightly average QB Matt Ryan, whom Julio makes look better than he really is

There's a reason Julio was voted number 3 player in top 100 list. Way above Edelman.

Listen we all love Edelman , but let's be realistic. Julio is way better than Edelman for any offense. Julio is a future first ballot hall of famer

This is a blind homer and somewhat embarrassing opinion.

Actually, it's smart thinking, even if it may only be 95-99% accurate. Edelman's style meshes with Brady the way Welker meshed with Brady, because both were quick open guys.

Go through the league's WRs, find quys who are quick open on the Welker, or even Edelman, levels, add in clean route running and ability to read a defense in a way that compliments the QB, and then produce that list.

You'll find it's a very short list. Julio Jones isn't on it. Antonio Brown might be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back