PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Under the circumstances, he's doing well, especially with only 3 games under his belt. The team has been porous and sloppy to date, nothing that intense practice wouldn't help. Except that they're quite limited on how aggressively they can practice anymore. The whole NFL product continues to deteriorate. Lot of guys could use some tackling practice.

Still confident. He took some shots today and still hung in there till the end. OC needs to believe in him more in the redZone. Josh may say he does but his playcalling tells a different story. Sorry but I’ll take my shots with Mac throwing the ball than handing it to our slowest rb on a 2nd and long.

All kidding aside, I think I can state without fear of contradiction that he is unlikely to be "the guy" if "the guy" must be the equal of or impovement over Brady, Ever. (We can still dream).

He is very likely to be the guy, sooner or later, as measured against what Cam Newton could do in our system. And mind you, it is still possible that in other systems he might come back. But he was a terrible fit here.

There's a lotttttt of room between those yardsticks. But to answer directly, yes, he looks like a good NFL QB in the making,, emphasis on "in the making."

It's a dumb question after 3 games in a rookie year.

I didn't get to see this game. One downside of the Pats not being the focus of the NFL is I don't get to see many games. I do see his stat lines, what people are chattering about, etc. It sounds like he had poor protection, and threw his first interceptions. He somehow racked up a fair amount of yardage in a losing effort, in the third game of his career.

It's most likely, to my way of thinking, that he's the real deal and does belong as a first-team, NFL QB. I had hoped we would get that without a year (or more) of yuck, and I still hope that. In fact, I envision a bright future. Truth is, we have very little NFL level data. Might be worth collecting a little before calling the data "in"

Remember he’s gonna take over what Brady left and will play for 15 years

For a rookie QB three games into his career with an awful o-line and mediocre receivers? He has not only met my expectations, but exceeded them. Hell, I figured he would still be sitting at this point learning a bit from the sidelines before he got his start.

Jones doesn't play like a rookie. He plays like a multiyear pro. The guy is smart, confident, and unflappable. You take most of the QBs in this league and give him the Patriots o-line and receivers and they would struggle too. But other than taking a poorly advised sack and his second INT, he isn't making many mistakes.

I am also impressed with his pocket awareness and movement and arm strength. Two things that we were told over and over again were awful. He moves around in the pocket better than Brady from a mobility standpoint (don't think he has close to Brady's pocket presence yet although it is far more advanced than most rookies would have). And he is throwing into tight windows and 30-40 yards down the field. He has to work on his deep ball accuracy a bit (that could be more communication with his receivers than any skill issue).

Based on the limited sample size I have seen, I would say 9 or 10 out of 10 for confidence. But it is way too early at this point.

If we are rating rookie QBs after 3 games, might as well call Zach Wilson and fields busts. Trevor Lawrence also threw 2 picks today again.

Either way, Mac Jones is not the problem with this team.

If we are rating rookie QBs after 3 games, might as well call Zach Wilson and fields busts. Trevor Lawrence also threw 2 picks today again.

Either way, Mac Jones is not the problem with this team.

I am perfectly fine with calling Zach Wilson a bust. :)

Jets are going to ruin the kid.

Yeah, I don't get it. Instead of trying to correct his biggest flaws, they seem to be encouraging them.

Now that September is over . . . How confident are you that Mac Jones has the talent to lead this team for the next five years? [Obviously, I would love for it to be longer, but I'll take five years for now.]

Please note that this is intended to be purely a question of what Jones has shown in terms of his physical and mental abilities.

So far, I'd rate him an 8—he's been everything I expected, and some (but not all) of what I hoped.
I am 7-8 confident. He looks great when the OLine doesn't suck.

I think he’s fine, but he needs better talent around him. I won’t hold my breath on that happening. This isn’t pre fantasy football where you can dink and dunk to 14 play drives, shorten games and expect to win many games.

You can win that way, the 2021 Patriots are just doing a horrible job of it. Part of the dink and dunk offense is reliability. This means scoring touchdowns in the redzone, not turning the ball over, having good OL play, and not committing tons of stupid penalties.

When they ran the 2 minute drill he looked great. Then they got in the RedZone and McDaniels puked all over himself because he doesn't allow Mac Jones to throw in the end zone.

But even worse he decided to use Brandon bolden instead of Harris.

I’m 100% positive he’s the guy. I have ZERO doubt. Showed a lot of toughness and resolve despite a ****ty Oline that is practically getting him killed, a relatively non existent running game, and WRs/TEs that drop the ball. Now I expect the Oline to get better, maybe with some shifting around and Brown being back, and there to be more cohesion with this offense as the season goes on. Give the kid some time, open up some holes for the RBs, and this offense will get better.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back