PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan pass right Q4 SBLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those last two drives were total locked in GOAT mode. Only seen that type of laser focus and determination from Brady at the end of that game, SB 49, couple of regular season games like 2013 Broncos second half and LeBron a couple of times in the playoffs. I imagine Montana and Jordan were like that?
As was Bird.

The crazy thing is that on the last 2 td drives, almost EVERY pass was extremely tightly contested and just perfect throws. Anyone sh**ting on the atl defense is just too bitter to give credit to brady and the patriotd. Sure the pass rush was weak because they were gassed but you cant blame their db"s at all imo, they were right there every time. Makes Brady's performance all the more epic.

Even more, what seems to go unnoticed is that not only was Brady under pressure on that throw to Hogan, the defender was charging him and almost stopped his arm mid-throw. Brady never even got to fully plant his foot and never got full arm motion on the throw because he saw the defender coming at him quickly. So Brady half planted and used mostly his wrist to throw the ball which is why the throw didn't look that crisp... TB Is A God.

Here is a brief 5-6 min video going over the aforementioned plays. I'd have to say that the throw in the tight window to Edelman was my personal favorite, with the right sideline out to Amendola as my second choice.

I thought this vid was cool because it gives a bit of a brief X and O breakdown in route responsibilities, and goes over what Brady saw pre-snap. Very appropriate for this thread.

None of these other plays people are mentioning are like the Hogan play insofar as either the throw occurred after the cut (like in the Edelman OT catch or the Amendola catch) or the route was a comeback (another Hogan catch, the Mitchell catch) rather than a 90º cut out or in route. The whole point of this thread was the anticipation of the cut, the throw to defenders, and the no-look execution.

I'm genuinely curious to look at other plays where this kind of throw was performed like Brady/Hogan did.

I wonder what the Pats would have done if they did not complete the pass to Hogan. I believe there were still over 3 minutes left and am not sure if they go for it on 4th and 10 from the 9 or if they punt it away. They still had 2 time outs left plus the 2 minute warning.

The Mitchell sideline catch was my favourite. Great route, sold the defender, fell down yet has the sense to jump up and catch it cleanly AND get OOB.

Don't want to derail the thread or take anything away from Hogan..... but for many reasons including the ones you mention, Mitchell is going to continue to get better and eventually be a beast.

Here is a brief 5-6 min video going over the aforementioned plays. I'd have to say that the throw in the tight window to Edelman was my personal favorite, with the right sideline out to Amendola as my second choice.

I thought this vid was cool because it gives a bit of a brief X and O breakdown in route responsibilities, and goes over what Brady saw pre-snap. Very appropriate for this thread.

Thanks, Supa. I love vids like this.

None of these other plays people are mentioning are like the Hogan play insofar as either the throw occurred after the cut (like in the Edelman OT catch or the Amendola catch) or the route was a comeback (another Hogan catch, the Mitchell catch) rather than a 90º cut out or in route. The whole point of this thread was the anticipation of the cut, the throw to defenders, and the no-look execution.

I'm genuinely curious to look at other plays where this kind of throw was performed like Brady/Hogan did.

For discussion purposes: Football minds please chime in.

I agree with you in that it was much more than a simple timing route. I would look at it in more detail.

1. CB Collins is covering Mitchell but spying Brady's throw. 2. CB Poole originally covers Hogan but blitzes Brady on the snap and Safety Neal picks up the coverage on Hogan. 3. Brady waits long enough for Mitchell to clear CB Collins out of the target zone.
upload_2017-4-8_11-23-1.png

1. X marks when Brady threw the ball during Hogan's route. 2. I estimate that Hogan ran an additional 8 or 9 yards from the time Brady threw the ball and to when Hogan caught it.

upload_2017-4-8_11-55-16.png

Question: CB Poole Blitzes Brady but doesn't show it until right before the snap. Does Brady see this? (White sure did and picked it up) and Does Hogan's route change because of the Blitz? In my opinion I don't think the route changes and it looks like Brady threw it a bit early because of the Blitz but he waited long enough to ensure that Mitchell had cleared the target zone. Worthy to note that Collins immediately drops his coverage of Mitchell after Brady's throw to make the tackle on Hogan and if Brady had thrown it too early it would have been a contested catch or worse.

upload_2017-4-8_12-3-9.png

Field Dimensions: FYI Professional (NFL) Football Field Dimension Diagram | Court & Field Dimension Diagrams in 3D, History, Rules – SportsKnowHow.com (<< Link)
upload_2017-4-8_11-45-18.png

my eyes were closed......
I was running up and down my hallway, screaming!!! . Anger, excitement. Jezzuz. We are maniacs. I swear, every game, I'm going to contain myself, but the Pats just keep us on a Rollercoaster. :eek:

You know, the Squirrel Miracle Catch overshadows the fact that Alford really, really, really should have intercepted that pass. Thank god he didn't.

So it appears, but I've replayed that pass 3 dozen times now.

Firstly, it was an absolute bullet by Brady, so much so that even after hitting Alford's gloves square-on, it had so much velocity that it barely changed it's original trajectory after the bounce.

Second, Alford was in full stride moving half-sideways, half backwards. Third, he was fully airborne during the attempt with arms were fully outstretched.

So all in all, it wasn't as easy a potential pick as it looked.

Last edited:
That's an extremely interesting analysis. I've watched the play many times and didn't pick up on all your observations.

One question I did have is whether Hogan's route was pre-set or whether it was an option route where both he and Brady had to read the coverage the same way in order for them both to know where Hogan would end up.

For discussion purposes: Football minds please chime in. ...

Hogan was such a key signing..could turn out to be one of BBs best..we will see how the rest of his career here goes. Mitchell also made some HUGE catches in the 4th

My favorite pass in SBLI is the 3rd&10 on the 9 to Hogan to start the final Q4 drive:

There are a couple of interesting facets of this pass.

Hogan cuts his out route but never looks back at Brady until after the pass is thrown. Brady throws the ball before Hogan even finished his cut, and starts the throw while Hogan is still running straight downfield. He is also throwing to a cornerback: if for some reason Hogan's timing or route running is inaccurate, it will be an interception.

I very rarely see receivers run a route like this without making any eye contact with the quarterback. Actually I'm not sure I can think of any examples. Normally where there is no eye contact, the route is either short of the receiver (which Hogan also did in another play) or beyond him, when the QB knows that if he overthrows the receiver already beat the cornerback so there won't be an interception. To throw before the cut like that on such a long pass is impressive.

View attachment 16786 View attachment 16787 View attachment 16788 View attachment 16789

The video link above has the broadcast feed, I'm enclosing a few stills from the all-22.

Great call. I also loved that play and it always stands out to me as Brady's best and most important pass of the game.

Ironically, I think the famous Edelman catch was the worst decision Brady made during the whole game, even worse than the pick 6. He threw that ball into triple coverage with less than a 1% chance of that getting caught by Edelman. It may have been intercepted even if Alford hadn't deflected it.

Maybe Brady though he could get a holding/PI call. I don't know.

Hogan was such a key signing..could turn out to be one of BBs best..we will see how the rest of his career here goes. Mitchell also made some HUGE catches in the 4th
I liked the signing and it has been fruitful for sure, and I know you added a bit of a qualifier, but let's pump the brakes just slightly on "best." There's at least a small list of players at various positions that did even more than Hogan in their first years before completely dropping off and eventually released. But I, like you and most of us, am extremely satisfied to this point and how for bigger things... though Cooks and a healthy Gronk make pass catchers a crowded bunch. Good problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back