PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan pass right Q4 SBLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great call. I also loved that play and it always stands out to me as Brady's best and most important pass of the game.

Ironically, I think the famous Edelman catch was the worst decision Brady made during the whole game, even worse than the pick 6. He threw that ball into triple coverage with less than a 1% chance of that getting caught by Edelman. It may have been intercepted even if Alford hadn't deflected it.

Maybe Brady though he could get a holding/PI call. I don't know.
I agree with the Edelman improbable grab. It was such a risky throw, regardless of the degree of difficulty for Alford. I'm just glad that we still got a good outcome. Edelman's concentration on that play... just outstanding.

Last edited:
I agree with the Edelman improbable grab. It says such a risky throw, regardless of the degree of difficulty for Alford. I'm just glad that we still got a good outcome. Edelman's concentration on that play... just outstanding.

When you are good, you tend to be lucky too.

I remember Brady talking to Peter King about that pass to Jules, he said it was a high risk high reward play and he would never throw that on later downs earlier in a game. He also sounded surprised Alford was able get his head around and make a play on it.

From the snap Alford had his back toward Brady, I think he threw it thinking Alford wouldn't play the ball and Jules would zip by him, just my guess.

It's strange because I was expecting Brady to say it was a poor throw or poor decision, he's always pretty truthful about that stuff, he just said it was an intentional high risk high reward play. Still looked crazy to me but what do I know.

Last edited:
Legend has it that when he stepped to the line on 1st and 10 at the 36yd poised and confident Brady was thinking about the last 3 Super Bowls and how on those teams final drive there was some type of miracle catch/throw. He said to himself, "I'm throwing this baby into trip coverage, I'm laying it out there, it's our effing time and my guy's going to get this ball and we'll make our own miracles on this day."

And so it was a miracle was born.....

Last edited:
I remember Brady talking to Peter King about that pass to Jules, he said it was a high risk his reward play and he would never throw that on later downs earlier in a game. He also sounded surprised Alford was able get his head around and make a play on it.

From the snap Alford had his back toward Brady, I think he threw it thinking Alford wouldn't play the ball and Jules would zip by him, just my guess.

It's strange because I was expecting Brady to say it was a poor throw or poor decision, he's always pretty truthful about that stuff, he just said it was an intentional high risk high reward play. Still looked crazy to me but what do I know.
I remember him talking a few times about how he practices high risk throws like that in TC and preseason games. He stopped just short of saying he does it with moments like the improbable catch in mind, but it seems pretty safe to assume it is in this case.

Last edited:
Great call. I also loved that play and it always stands out to me as Brady's best and most important pass of the game.

Ironically, I think the famous Edelman catch was the worst decision Brady made during the whole game, even worse than the pick 6. He threw that ball into triple coverage with less than a 1% chance of that getting caught by Edelman. It may have been intercepted even if Alford hadn't deflected it.

Maybe Brady though he could get a holding/PI call. I don't know.
Just to clarify--I think most here are speaking of the one he threw to Edelman in the very tight window, not the tipped miracle catch. Or at least I hope so. :)

I agree with you and the OP that the third down pass to Hogan was huge. Very key moment in the game.

Just to clarify--I think most here are speaking of the one he threw to Edelman in the very tight window, not the tipped miracle catch. Or at least I hope so. :)

I agree with you and the OP that the third down pass to Hogan was huge. Very key moment in the game.

No, I am referring to the miracle catch. Edelman had Alford directly in the path of the ball and was flanked by two other defenders as well. If the ball didn't get deflected (which it almost certainly was destined to, if not intercepted), it would have still been a very difficult catch with two defenders hanging over him.

I remember Brady talking to Peter King about that pass to Jules, he said it was a high risk high reward play and he would never throw that on later downs earlier in a game. He also sounded surprised Alford was able get his head around and make a play on it.

Still it was a FIRST DOWN play, seems to be a lot of risk when you have 3 more shots. Jules also said he ran a bad route on the play, but never clarified what he meant as far as I can tell. It would have been a helluva INT, but he got both hands on it.

The 18th hole on the Masters is 465 yards.

That's one less yard than Brady threw for in the Super Bowl.

No, I am referring to the miracle catch. Edelman had Alford directly in the path of the ball and was flanked by two other defenders as well. If the ball didn't get deflected (which it almost certainly was destined to, if not intercepted), it would have still been a very difficult catch with two defenders hanging over him.
Totally agree with you on that play. Personally, I was speaking of the other throw to #11 thrown into the super tight window. For some reason I had assumed that others were, as well, although now I'm not so sure.

Both were incredible catches, so that's all that matters. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey