PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan pass right Q4 SBLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
My favorite pass in SBLI is the 3rd&10 on the 9 to Hogan to start the final Q4 drive:

There are a couple of interesting facets of this pass.

Hogan cuts his out route but never looks back at Brady until after the pass is thrown. Brady throws the ball before Hogan even finished his cut, and starts the throw while Hogan is still running straight downfield. He is also throwing to a cornerback: if for some reason Hogan's timing or route running is inaccurate, it will be an interception.

I very rarely see receivers run a route like this without making any eye contact with the quarterback. Actually I'm not sure I can think of any examples. Normally where there is no eye contact, the route is either short of the receiver (which Hogan also did in another play) or beyond him, when the QB knows that if he overthrows the receiver already beat the cornerback so there won't be an interception. To throw before the cut like that on such a long pass is impressive.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 11.35.15 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 11.35.30 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 11.35.43 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 11.36.03 PM.jpg

The video link above has the broadcast feed, I'm enclosing a few stills from the all-22.

There were lots of insane throws in that 4th quarter/OT. The one to the R side where he lays it out perfectly to Amendola is a thing of beauty, as was the one to Edelman in the tight window.

The Hogan addition was huge this year, and your favorite play is just one of many that proved how important route reading/running and being on the same page as Brady are in this offense. They probably went over that play hundreds, if not thousands of times together in the offseason + practice.

When I was a kid, I witnessed many Unitas to berry passes like that. Only difference, berry would catch the ball will dragging feet, diving out of bounds. Ball thrown before cut, berry never looks for ball, until last second, Unitas throws ball to spot on sideline. Play was indefensible, classic by two players perfectly in sync.

Maybe I am odd, but find that whole sequence of plays in that last drive was beyond my wildest expectations.. difficult to say one was better than the other.. Passes to Hogan, Mitchell, Edelman, Amendola, White and then the second two point conversion to Amendola..

That series was took place during about when the Pats had about 90 offensive plays against the Falcons.. the Falcons they were "gassed". Gassed or not, the whole drive was off the charts..

The Pats outlasted them and all those uphill windsprints from the soccer practice field to the football practice field paid off..

It was the most important play of thr game in my opinion.

Maybe I am odd, but find that whole sequence of plays in that last drive was beyond my wildest expectations.. difficult to say one was better than the other.. Passes to Hogan, Mitchell, Edelman, Amendola, White and then the second two point conversion to Amendola..

That series was took place during about when the Pats had about 90 offensive plays against the Falcons.. the Falcons they were "gassed". Gassed or not, the whole drive was off the charts..

The Pats outlasted them and all those uphill windsprints from the soccer practice field to the football practice field paid off..

I've watched the three last drives over and over. The last two, the game tying drive and the game winning drive, were off the chart. Some of those passes were thrown through inch wide windows. Incredible.

My favorite pass in SBLI is the 3rd&10 on the 9 to Hogan to start the final Q4 drive:

Hogan cuts his out route but never looks back at Brady until after the pass is thrown. Brady throws the ball before Hogan even finished his cut, and starts the throw while Hogan is still running straight downfield. He is also throwing to a cornerback: if for some reason Hogan's timing or route running is inaccurate, it will be an interception.

I very rarely see receivers run a route like this without making any eye contact with the quarterback. Actually I'm not sure I can think of any examples. Normally where there is no eye contact, the route is either short of the receiver (which Hogan also did in another play) or beyond him, when the QB knows that if he overthrows the receiver already beat the cornerback so there won't be an interception. To throw before the cut like that on such a long pass is impressive.

View attachment 16786 View attachment 16787 View attachment 16788 View attachment 16789

The video link above has the broadcast feed, I'm enclosing a few stills from the all-22.

This type of play happens every Sunday. I love Brady too, but other QB's work on this kind of timing route with their receivers quite regularly. The QB throws it to a spot and the receiver must run a precise route to get to it. Very few times does the WR make eye contact with the QB on this type of play.

Nonetheless, it was a great and crucial play on a great and crucial final drive. Kudos to that team once again for doing what they did.

There were lots of insane throws in that 4th quarter/OT. The one to the R side where he lays it out perfectly to Amendola is a thing of beauty, as was the one to Edelman in the tight window.

The Hogan addition was huge this year, and your favorite play is just one of many that proved how important route reading/running and being on the same page as Brady are in this offense. They probably went over that play hundreds, if not thousands of times together in the offseason + practice.
That play to Amendola that you mention was absolutely incredible. I just sat there speechless.

Four of the passes mentioned above would have been picked off if the timing and route weren't close to perfect. One after the other...I could hardly get over one before another happened.

View attachment 16786 View attachment 16787 View attachment 16788 View attachment 16789

Poole was close to hitting Brady's arm on that pass as well.

upload_2017-2-10_10-27-28-png.16261

That play to Amendola that you mention was absolutely incredible. I just sat there speechless.
Agreed. It's funny that throws like that don't seem to stand out to other people (generally speaking) as much as, say, that sideline pass Rogers made in the playoffs. I think because he was running at the time? Who knows.

Worth mentioning though. Even among haters, looks like Brady as GOAT has become the consensus, but people seem to emphasize his game smarts, decisiveness, clutch ability, leadership, etc. All of which is true. Important to keep in mind though that Brady is also really good at throwing a ball.

Agreed. It's funny that throws like that don't seem to stand out to other people (generally speaking) as much as, say, that sideline pass Rogers made in the playoffs. I think because he was running at the time? Who knows.

Worth mentioning though. Even among haters, looks like Brady as GOAT has become the consensus, but people seem to emphasize his game smarts, decisiveness, clutch ability, leadership, etc. All of which is true. Important to keep in mind though that Brady is also really good at throwing a ball.
You are absolutely right. Even in praise it seems people are careful in choosing what they want to emphasize. It's always been that way with him. If this makes any sense, I'd say Brady is spectacular without being flashy. He does it while being precise and methodical, and those are things that are not oft praised in sports (see the San Antonio Spurs).

But make no mistake about it, he can make every throw in every situation. That final drive was a thing of absolute beauty.

The Hogan and Edelman throws/catches were tremendous. But, the precision, touch and accuracy of the sideline pass to Amendola were jaw-dropping to me. I was incredulous, but having seen Brady in clutch moments since 2001, I suppose I shouldn't have been. But, I was.

The Hogan and Edelman throws/catches were tremendous. But, the precision, touch and accuracy of the sideline pass to Amendola were jaw-dropping to me. I was incredulous, but having seen Brady in clutch moments since 2001, I suppose I shouldn't have been. But, I was.
Perfectly stated!

Those last two drives were total locked in GOAT mode. Only seen that type of laser focus and determination from Brady at the end of that game, SB 49, couple of regular season games like 2013 Broncos second half and LeBron a couple of times in the playoffs. I imagine Montana and Jordan were like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft