PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Bennett didn't realize the Pats won Super Bowl LI

Patsfan1958

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Martellus Bennett admitted he didn't even realize the Patriots won Super Bowl LI

Tight end Martellus Bennett didn’t know the rules of overtime as the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons went past regulation in Super Bowl LI. No Super Bowl had ever gone to overtime.

And while viewers got graphics from the broadcast to explain that, if a team scored a touchdown, the game was over, Bennett was not privy to that explanation. So when Patriots running back James White dove into the end zone for a touchdown and the Patriots stormed the field, Bennett had to ask Tom Brady: Did we win? Here how Bennett remembers it.

“I was like water and all my teammates were like water. Basically, it was just like so focused and enter a space of flow that I’ve never experienced in sports before,” Bennett told B/R in an interview with Master Tes. “In fact, when we won, I had to ask Tom Brady. I said, ‘Yo, Tom. Did we win?’ He was like, ‘Yeah. We’re champions.’ I said, ‘Oh, (expletive). We champions!’ I don’t know the (expletive) overtime rules in the Super Bowl. (Expletive), they changed it.

“I’m telling you, bro. I was in flow. Like, I don’t know what the score is, right? I had no idea. Like, that was really my only time of like really snapping out of flow ’cause I’m looking around and guys are running around. We’re all crying and I don’t know why I’m crying. My brother comes down and I think I was extra emotional. ‘We’re Super Bowl champions, the Bennett brothers. Like, who the (expletive) can say that (expletive)?’”

In Bennett’s defense, the Patriots’ comeback was record-setting. They were trailing 28-3, and no team had overcome a deficit that large in the Super Bowl. It was a dizzying experience for everyone involved.

We need more guys like that. They might not know the rules but they fo sure can play.
You just explained Vontaze Burfict, sir. Due to his lack of rule knowledge, he can no longer play.

He was an underrated part of that game, despite being banged up most of the year. Always wish we could’ve seen gronk and bennett healthy together. I know they were both full strength for the Cleveland game that year (toms first game back) and the offense looked unbelievable.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back