PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heath Evans RIPS Donkey Kong Suh.

Meanwhile you have Burfict and Suh stomping on arms and legs, tackling at the legs and then rolling them and leading with their helmet knocking players out. I don't care if someone returns the favor. Their team nor the league aren't doing anything about it.
Ok that’s your opinion. I disagree.

Meanwhile you have Burfict and Suh stomping on arms and legs, tackling at the legs and then rolling them and leading with their helmet knocking players out. I don't care if someone returns the favor. Their team nor the league aren't doing anything about it.

I'm on the fence here.

Personally I believe in players policing themselves but as you point out the problem is the league is way to lenient and/or always punishes the player who was most "premeditated" or "second player in" more severely than the player who actually started it.

Its also a slippery slope as the crap that goes on at the bottom of fumble piles is blatant crimes against humanity (eyes gouged out, reproductive organs twisted and pulled, fingers bent back, etc)

I’m fine with tough players.
I find dirty play as a response to dirty play as hypocritical.

Your purity is enviable. Imo Mankins would have made it clear to Suh that there would be repercussions for his cheap shots. And I have no doubt that if Suh ended Brady’s season with a late cheap shot in two weeks you wouldn’t want there to be any retaliation, however my flawed soul would want just that. My sainthood is definitely in jeopardy.

I’m fine with tough players.
I find dirty play as a response to dirty play as hypocritical.

Mankins was considered a dirty player and he didn’t care. “ I have done things I shouldn’t have, and I have had things done to me that shouldn’t have been done. Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don’t.” -Logan Mankins

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, and it’s commonplace in the NFL.

Ok that’s your opinion. I disagree.

So you think the league and their teams have dealt with Burfuct and Suh appropriately?

In Burfuct’s case that would mean he no longer plays professional football.

Mankins was considered a dirty player and he didn’t care. “ I have done things I shouldn’t have, and I have had things done to me that shouldn’t have been done. Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don’t.” -Logan Mankins

Anecdotally, I recall hearing from a former Patriots player that Stephen Neal was the guy who you knew would mess you up if you managed to draw out his ugly side.

I think it was Mayo who said this, on Quickslants Podcast.

Anecdotally, I recall hearing from a former Patriots player that Stephen Neal was the guy who you knew would mess you up if you managed to draw out his ugly side.

I think it was Mayo who said this, on Quickslants Podcast.

YES.

I think it was Fauria who said (or also) that. He said in the locker room or on the practice field guys would rough-house or push each other around all the time but EVERYONE knew Neal had this line that if crossed you were in a world of hurt. He would give you a look like, 'you wanna go?'.

I remember hearing another story where in 07 TC Adalius Thomas was being all mouthy and chippy with Neal trying to establish himself and Seymour warned him to watch out. He didnt and Neal destroyed him on a running play. Put him on his azz. The legend is that is where the "Humble Pie" t-shirts AD started hawking came from. Neal humbled him.

Mankins was considered dirty? He was chippy and nasty but I don't consider him as being dirty.

Conrad Dobler....now he was dirty

YES.

I think it was Fauria who said (or also) that. He said in the locker room or on the practice field guys would rough-house or push each other around all the time but EVERYONE knew Neal had this line that if crossed you were in a world of hurt. He would give you a look like, 'you wanna go?'.

I remember hearing another story where in 07 TC Adalius Thomas was being all mouthy and chippy with Neal trying to establish himself and Seymour warned him to watch out. He didnt and Neal destroyed him on a running play. Put him on his azz. The legend is that is where the "Humble Pie" t-shirts AD started hawking came from. Neal humbled him.

Awesome story. I really enjoy anecdotes (legends?) like this from past players of the Belichick Era.

Mankins was considered dirty? He was chippy and nasty but I don't consider him as being dirty.

Conrad Dobler....now he was dirty

Google “Mankins a dirty player,” I did and got a number of hits. I don’t think he was Dobler or Romanowski by any stretch of the imagination, but he was definitely a guy who would play the role of enforcer, and that’s all I was talking about. Guys like Suh need to know there will be ramifications for their actions. At least imo they do. If Suh takes a cheap shot at Brady I want a Patriot to pay him back. As noted however, I am impure.

Awesome story. I really enjoy anecdotes (legends?) like this from past players of the Belichick Era.
I was always fascinated about Neal's career. World class wrestler. Beats Brock Lesner. 10 year career NFL offensive lineman when he didn't play collegiately.

Interesting insight into his time as an NFL o-lineman vs bing a wrestler...

Neal credits his wrestling background for allowing him to develop into a successful pro football player with a long career.

“There are two different skill sets, physical and mental. It was the mental skills which let me stay longer in the NFL. As a wrestler, I understand the concept of hard work and toughness. I had to use my physical skills, including balance and leverage. But the mental skills made a big difference. I did not want to get beaten in my position. Once I got the technique, it was my mental skills that helped me to stick around,” said Neal.

NFL star and World champion wrestler Stephen Neal named Honorary Chair of 2015 Freestyle World Cup

Google “Mankins a dirty player,” I did and got a number of hits. I don’t think he was Dobler or Romanowski by any stretch of the imagination, but he was definitely a guy who would play the role of enforcer, and that’s all I was talking about. Guys like Suh need to know there will be ramifications for their actions. At least imo they do. If Suh takes a cheap shot at Brady I want a Patriot to pay him back. As noted however, I am impure.

Enforcer no question. He was a rough dude.

I would like to see Thuney take on that role.
Either him or Mason. He can be pretty nasty finishing his blocks

Either him or Mason. He can be pretty nasty finishing his blocks

Mason, Cannon, and Solder just don’t seem to have that demeanor. Thuney reportedly has that nasty streak.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back