PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have we overrated the Patriots defense more specifically the front 7?

I strongly disagree with your assessment. You wouldn't pay a couple of million extra to have Gilmore for the rest of season. I would

We have Gilmore for the season already. If he has lost a step after his injury (your hypothetical) I would not pay him extra, no GM will. If he has fully recovered I would extend him for 1 more year and pay him.

Gilmore can’t continue to play the “I’m injured” card. When eligible to come off PuP and deemed healthy by the team, if Gilmore refuses to resume playing, the Pats can just keep him on the PUP for the entire season which tolls his contract. Either Gilmore plays or he finds himself in the same situation next season- under contract with the Pats for only $7 million but 32 years old not 31 years.

So, you don't think that the 2021 Gilmore will be a better option over Mills?
How many million is “a better option over Mills” really worth?

Godchaux and Bentley are the weak links. Jets ran for 155 yards and 5 yards a carry

Gilmore can’t continue to play the “I’m injured” card. When eligible to come off PuP and deemed healthy by the team, if Gilmore refuses to resume playing, the Pats can just keep him on the PUP for the entire season which tolls his contract. Either Gilmore plays or he finds himself in the same situation next season- under contract with the Pats for only $7 million but 32 years old not 31 years.

Gilmore will play the minimum games to move on. It's just very short sighted of the Pats. Just pay the guy.

Godchaux and Bentley are the weak links. Jets ran for 155 yards and 5 yards a carry

godchaux plays too high snd is getting controlled on every running play.

guy is a shell of what he was and struggles to hold the line of scrimmage.

Hightower lacks instincts and is almost always a step late,

Bentley is constantly out of position causing him to miss tackles or take poor angles.

First half I was stuck listening to the game on Sirius XM while driving, and the announcers repeatedly praised Bentley for positive plays.

First half I was stuck listening to the game on Sirius XM while driving, and the announcers repeatedly praised Bentley for positive plays.

I know the tackle stat looks good, 8 tackles looks good. You can tell which radio guys aren't even watching the games. Just look at some of the Jets video highlights and focus on what #8 in the Pats jersey is doing in the video on a "good" Jets highlight play. Bentley is the next Monty Beisel and Gary Guyton (not a good thing).....

Hightower and the rest of the Dline has looked weak as well. Hightower looks like he's running on fumes and the dline other then Barmore gets no push again vs. run plays. Godchaux hasn't been impressive and Bentley has been who he is....mediocre.

I think the OP's question has been answered: In those situations during the course of a game that matter the most, this defense usually comes up the least.

Let's face it, their MVP last night was the Weather.

The next question should now become: What if anything will Bill do to improve upon the sieve-ness of Godsmack, Davis & Guy up-front, and JaWrong/Langi behind them?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back