PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why they ever let Namath sit around the table and give advice is beyond me. I'm not sure who Hard Knocks thought that piece would appeal to but it made me vomit. It's not like Namath was even a great QB imo.

It was just pitiful.

There are QB schools everywhere, I'd be willing to bet that Sanchez went to many as a kid.

The coaching staff I'm sure has many years of experience with QB's. They tape practice and review it, they are professionals, if there is a problem with mechanics or technique they discuss corrections.

But Joe Namath thinks he has the solution...

Sad.

Love these shows, HBO's 24/7 leading up to fights has been a favourite of mine for years. Found Tannenbaum more annoying than Ryan to be honest and Revis bothered me and he wasn't even there for most of it.

Wonder if Moss saw the picture behind Tannebaum's desk...

Last edited:
It was just pitiful.

There are QB schools everywhere, I'd be willing to bet that Sanchez went to many as a kid.

The coaching staff I'm sure has many years of experience with QB's. They tape practice and review it, they are professionals, if there is a problem with mechanics or technique they discuss corrections.

But Joe Namath thinks he has the solution...

Sad.

I'm hoping The Sanchise gets and takes lots of inane advice. Jet fans will wax nostalgic this season about Season One's Red Light Green Light idiocy.

Why they ever let Namath sit around the table and give advice is beyond me. I'm not sure who Hard Knocks thought that piece would appeal to but it made me vomit. It's not like Namath was even a great QB imo.

They apparently needed it. Schottenheimer and Sanchez were all ears when Joe was talking. Sort of makes you wonder why it takes a social visit by a has-been like him to set them straight on basic fundamentals. I'd be a tad worried if I were a Green Beans fan. Perhaps they should put Namath on the payroll.

As for the show: not very impressed. Their camp looks a bit loosey goosey, with all the false bravado we've come to expect from those guys.

They apparently needed it. Schottenheimer and Sanchez were all ears when Joe was talking.

No, they were humoring him. Note the snappy comment right after he finishes his spiel? If they really cared, it would have launched into a 2 hour conversation on the various benefits of placing the heel of the hands together vs the fingers etc.

Anyone who has been a coach is nodding his head about the endless inane conversations about minutiae.

I'm hoping The Sanchise gets and takes lots of inane advice. Jet fans will wax nostalgic this season about Season One's Red Light Green Light idiocy.

Yeah, because Sanchez has been poorly coached and developed thus far in a year plus since he was drafted.

Stop with the pathetic biased hate, Pats fans.

Sanchez has shown plenty to show the potential of a legit franchise QB, if not more. He has 3 playoff games under his belt as a rookie, he had a tremendous off-season, and from all reports, worked as hard as anybody and seems poised to take over this team like a franchise QB should.

I know this kills Pats fans who think Brady is the only franchise QB in the division, but that would be a mistake.

Only a jet fan would be content making it to the afc championship game.

After being handed a playoff birth on a silver platter...that is.

Not to mention half their fan base bailed on them a month earlier.

Who said I was content?

You clowns are here ripping the Jets because YOU think they talk too much, when really, it's the freaking media spinning it and making a bigger deal of it than it really is, when you have hacks like Florio, Francessa, the general ESPN hate of anything NY, that is what you get, especially since the ESPN crowd are biased towards anything Boston, they are only feeding you the cr@p that you're hating on, and you and the morons in the media don't even know what they are spooning.

Nobody bailed on anybody, it's hard to describe Ryan, he wears every emotion on his sleeve, but it's genuine, even the Patriot butt-swab Peter King will tell you this, Jets lose, he's pissed, and thinks his team is out of the playoffs, next thing you know, the national media and the moron hating fans across the country are spinning that the Jets bailed out on their own season, what a friggin' crock.

Bottomline is that Ryan knows what he is doing, his teams play harder for him than most teams do for their own coaches, players buy into his philosophy and want to run through a brick wall for him, his teams execute and perform, and he has had results thus far.

The truth is, this all scares you, so you hate on Ryan.

Sorry, there may be a new sheriff in town, Billy boy may have to take a back seat.

Last edited:
Who said I was content?

You clowns are here ripping the Jets because YOU think they talk too much, when really, it's the freaking media spinning it and making a bigger deal of it than it really is, when you have hacks like Florio, Francessa, the general ESPN hate of anything NY, that is what you get, especially since the ESPN crowd are biased towards anything Boston, they are only feeding you the cr@p that you're hating on, and you and the morons in the media don't even know what they are spooning.

Nobody bailed on anybody, it's hard to describe Ryan, he wears every emotion on his sleeve, but it's genuine, even the Patriot butt-swab Peter King will tell you this, Jets lose, he's pissed, and thinks his team is out of the playoffs, next thing you know, the national media and the moron hating fans across the country are spinning that the Jets bailed out on their own season, what a friggin' crock.

Bottomline is that Ryan knows what he is doing, his teams play harder for him than most teams do for their own coaches, players buy into his philosophy and want to run through a brick wall for him, his teams execute and perform, and he has had results thus far.

The truth is, this all scares you, so you hate on Ryan.

Sorry, there may be a new sheriff in town, Billy boy may have to take a back seat.

fruitcake.gif

Yeah, because Sanchez has been poorly coached and developed thus far in a year plus since he was drafted.

Stop with the pathetic biased hate, Pats fans.

Sanchez has shown plenty to show the potential of a legit franchise QB, if not more. He has 3 playoff games under his belt as a rookie, he had a tremendous off-season, and from all reports, worked as hard as anybody and seems poised to take over this team like a franchise QB should.

I know this kills Pats fans who think Brady is the only franchise QB in the division, but that would be a mistake.

Think rationally before posting. Sure, The Sanchise played under control in the playoffs acquiting himself well. But if you accept some evidence you must accept all. His TD to INT ratio was terrible. He has not shown that minus a strong running game that he can win games consistently like a franchise QB can. Stating that The Sanchise is a franchise QB is gross homerism.

Your only counter to this should be that time will tell, but to criticize others now for not accepting this doofus as a legitemate franchise QB in the summer of 2010 is typical New York fan BS bravado. A big Red Light to you.

No, they were humoring him. Note the snappy comment right after he finishes his spiel? If they really cared, it would have launched into a 2 hour conversation on the various benefits of placing the heel of the hands together vs the fingers etc..

OK, then why was Sanchez fumbling, why was Namath there lecturing them on hand-placement fundamentals, and why were they even giving him the time of day? And, why would such a fundamental require a two-hour conversation? Maybe they were "humoring" him, but the kid was messing up a pretty basic move that obviously needed correcting. The joke at the end had nothing to do with it, they weren't joking when Namath was giving his two cents.

OK, then why was Sanchez fumbling, why was Namath there lecturing them on hand-placement fundamentals, and why were they even giving him the time of day? And, why would such a fundamental require a two-hour conversation? Maybe they were "humoring" him, but the kid was messing up a pretty basic move that obviously needed correcting. The joke at the end had nothing to do with it, they weren't joking when Namath was giving his two cents.

QB's fumble snaps in practice. It happens all the time. New Center, not paying attention, sweaty hands etc.

Namath was there lecturing them because he is a pathetic old fool who thinks he can tell professionals something they don't know to make himself feel important. He's like the dad who played QB decades ago and feels the need to yell out advice to his kid's high school coaches.:(

They were giving him the time of day because he is a part of the franchise's history and they were being respectful.

Why would such a fundamental require a two hour conversation? Because there are different techniques for everything, they change and come in and out of vogue.

Coaches will debate endlessly on what the "best" technique is for a DB's footwork, the proper depth for the shallow cross, tackling technique, stripping the ball etc. Every coach has their preference and no one way is necessarily the only way but coaches love to debate this stuff.

As far as the joke at the end, they let him say his piece and then started goofing around. If they cared they would have asked him questions. I could see that they were uncomfortable pretending to listen.

No, that is how Ryan always is, it's why Bart Scott mentioned in one of the interviews about who he would want to go into an alley with, Rex Ryan.

Please don't be naive to think Rex is a phony, because that is the exactly OPPOSITE of what he is. He's genuine, he has a loose cannon, but he's confident in what he does, and that is how he is, a FAR cry from the tightwad mumbles you have roaming the sideline.

Thing is, more than 90% of the fans that kill Rex, would KILL to have HIM as their team's head coach.

Do you think Rex gets his players to play as hard as they do for him, because he is a phony who likes a camera?

C'mon dude, I know you're a Jets hater, but be honest.

I don't think he's a "phony." He's too "all out there" for that. He's lightened things up for the team by taking a lot of the media glare off the players in NY. That was smart.

I don't know whether his players play hard because of Rex or because everyone from the owner down says they're a team that's built to "win now." The only way to find out "why" they play hard will be when the going gets tough.

As for our "tightwad mumbles," I'll stick with him and his three (five) rings until "loudmouth waddles" has a couple of rings himself, thank you.

Why? Because it is good television. The legendary QB schooling the young future franchise. Welcome to Hard Knocks where they have to play to the cameras.

They apparently needed it. Schottenheimer and Sanchez were all ears when Joe was talking. Sort of makes you wonder why it takes a social visit by a has-been like him to set them straight on basic fundamentals. I'd be a tad worried if I were a Green Beans fan. Perhaps they should put Namath on the payroll.

As for the show: not very impressed. Their camp looks a bit loosey goosey, with all the false bravado we've come to expect from those guys.

Over on the Jets forum, the talk is about how much impact Revis will have on the defense if he doesn't show up. Although I believe he's an elite CB, one of the best, I'm not convinced after one year that he's the absolute best. Now,that doesn't mean I'm willing to go a season without him either. I absolutely want this issue to get worked out. But my concerns for the Jets are with the offense and here's why:

Shonne Greene: I'm not convinced that Greene will be able to shoulder the load carried by Thomas Jones. For me this was the biggest mistake made by the Jets. Greene was injured a lot and I was not impressed in the game with the Colts when he was taken out for an injury that ended up being a bruised rib. It's the AFCCG and unless it was broken and sticking through his lung he should have kept playing (I'm exaggerating of course but hopefully you know what I mean). Anyhow, he's a bruiser and I'm not sure he can go 16 games.

LT: I'm not willing to assume that LT will be the pro bowl player he once and not the guy who cries when Greene gets all the carries. I will admit that he was showing some impressive moves in camp. But let's wait and see if that translates to game day. I think playing time will not be an issue because again, I sincerely doubt Greene will go all season without an injury.

Mark sanchez: I'm not ready to assume that Sanchez will improve so much that his QB rating will be better than last year (it was worse than Jamarcus Russell) and that the INT's will stop. In fact, his completion percentage in camp so far has been below 50%. This is what I'm really worried about. Sanchez has thrown some amazing balls, but he's not consistent. If the Jets fail again this year, this is where I'd expect it to happen. Hopefully he doesn't let me down.

On the defense:
Kris Jenkins: One of my favorite players. It's great to have him back. When he's healthy, he's one of the best NT's in football. But will he stay healthy. Guy seems to get hip and back injuries a lot but when you're his size is it any wonder. He lost some wight in the off season so here's hoping he stays healthy. The line is completely different with him in it.

On the upside, Edwards worked all season on dropped balls and in camp he's made some spectacular catches, and fixed his issues. Vernon Gholston has been the real surprise now that the Jets have moved him to DE. All signs point to an improved season. Holmes has been impressive. Hopefully Sanchez can connect like he's supposed to. Cromartie who's been criticized for hitting has been laying people out. It appears we may have the pro bowl CB, not the ease up one that let Greene score that TD against the Chargers last season. We've got a new FB, John "The Terminator" Conner. Watch out for this guy. He's already given a guy a concussion in camp.

Last edited:
QB's fumble snaps in practice. It happens all the time. New Center, not paying attention, sweaty hands etc.

Namath was there lecturing them because he is a pathetic old fool who thinks he can tell professionals something they don't know to make himself feel important. He's like the dad who played QB decades ago and feels the need to yell out advice to his kid's high school coaches.:(

They were giving him the time of day because he is a part of the franchise's history and they were being respectful.

Why would such a fundamental require a two hour conversation? Because there are different techniques for everything, they change and come in and out of vogue.

Coaches will debate endlessly on what the "best" technique is for a DB's footwork, the proper depth for the shallow cross, tackling technique, stripping the ball etc. Every coach has their preference and no one way is necessarily the only way but coaches love to debate this stuff.

As far as the joke at the end, they let him say his piece and then started goofing around. If they cared they would have asked him questions. I could see that they were uncomfortable pretending to listen.

I know what you're saying; my comment was aimed primarily at the Green Beans fans lurking here. Namath initially made his observation when Sanchez fumbled during the goal line drill, then again later when he fumbled a practice snap, and was sure he saw something worth calling to their attention. Of course they would've straightened it out without his help.

Joe has become kind of a sad story. He hasn't aged well, and it's bittersweet seeing him hanging around referencing "we" when talking about the team.

They give Namath the time of day because he won a SB. That's it. And there's no harm in listening to what he has to say. But I'm sure the QB coach knows what he's doing. Look, for me, a lot of last seasons mistakes were on Sanchez. The team was telling him what to do and he was ignoring them. Call it arrogance or ****iness, he was not protecting the football. It was like when he got hurt because he didn't slide. One or two games before that one they had gotten on to him publicly for that. They brought in people from the Yankees to show him how to slide and he still dove head first. I think the kid is a little full of himself. Probably thinks he has all the answers. I hope he listens this year.

Last edited:
Over on the Jets forum, the talk is about how much impact Revis will have on the defense if he doesn't show up. Although I believe he's an elite CB, one of the best, I'm not convinced after one year that he's the absolute best. Now,that doesn't mean I'm willing to go a season without him either. I absolutely want this issue to get worked out. But my concerns for the Jets are with the offense and here's why:

Shonne Greene: I'm not convinced that Greene will be able to shoulder the load carried by Thomas Jones. For me this was the biggest mistake made by the Jets. Greene was injured a lot and I was not impressed in the game with the Colts when he was taken out for an injury that ended up being a bruised rib. It's the AFCCG and unless it was broken and sticking through his lung he should have kept playing (I'm exaggerating of course but hopefully you know what I mean). Anyhow, he's a bruiser and I'm not sure he can go 16 games.

LT: I'm not willing to assume that LT will be the pro bowl player he once and not the guy who cries when Greene gets all the carries. I will admit that he was showing some impressive moves in camp. But let's wait and see if that translates to game day. I think playing time will not be an issue because again, I sincerely doubt Greene will go all season without an injury.

Mark sanchez: I'm not ready to assume that Sanchez will improve so much that his QB rating will be better than last year (it was worse than Jamarcus Russell) and that the INT's will stop. In fact, his completion percentage in camp so far has been below 50%. This is what I'm really worried about. Sanchez has thrown some amazing balls, but he's not consistent. If the Jets fail again this year, this is where I'd expect it to happen. Hopefully he doesn't let me down.

On the defense:
Kris Jenkins: One of my favorite players. It's great to have him back. When he's healthy, he's one of the best NT's in football. But will he stay healthy. Guy seems to get hip and back injuries a lot but when you're his size is it any wonder. He lost some wight in the off season so here's hoping he stays healthy. The line is completely different with him in it.

On the upside, Edwards worked all season on dropped balls and in camp he's made some spectacular catches, and fixed his issues. Vernon Gholston has been the real surprise now that the Jets have moved him to DE. All signs point to an improved season. Holmes has been impressive. Hopefully Sanchez can connect like he's supposed to. Cromartie who's been criticized for hitting has been laying people out. It appears we may have the pro bowl CB, not the ease up one that let Greene score that TD against the Chargers last season. We've got a new FB, John "The Terminator" Conner. Watch out for this guy. He's already given a guy a concussion in camp.

You have a solidly talented front-line team, there is no debating that. The wildcards are Sanchez's evolution, overall depth, and how the individual egos/character issues hold up under adversity. Your schedule is tougher this year and opponents now have a read on tendencies and schemes, so there will be no surprises.

I will note that the trumped-up bravado and big talk can be a double-edged sword and turn ugly under pressure. We've seen Wrecks' defenses lose their composure and focus in Baltimore. But, I know why it's been encouraged by Johnson through Wrecks, who plays the role well.

Brunell was a smart pickup. Do you guys have a tight end? Haven't heard much there.

Revis remains a gigantic question mark, but I suspect he'll be back for the regular season. If not, the defense downgrades from elite to good.

On the defense:

I will give you credit that you seem to be more objective than most Jets fans or any fan of any team. I agree with your concerns. I still don't buy some of the hype of Gholston and Cromartie though.

Every team have concerns. Listening to the Jets, their fans, and a lot of the media; they appear to have Pro Bowlers at every position. Clearly, that isn't the case. It is impossible to have that good of team in today's day and age.

You have a solidly talented front-line team, there is no debating that. The wildcards are Sanchez's evolution, overall depth, and how the individual egos/character issues hold up under adversity. Your schedule is tougher this year and opponents now have a read on tendencies and schemes, so there will be no surprises.

I will note that the trumped-up bravado and big talk can be a double-edged sword and turn ugly under pressure. We've seen Wrecks' defenses lose their composure and focus in Baltimore. But, I know why it's been encouraged by Johnson through Wrecks, who plays the role well.

Brunell was a smart pickup. Do you guys have a tight end? Haven't heard much there.

Revis remains a gigantic question mark, but I suspect he'll be back for the regular season. If not, the defense downgrades from elite to good.

I agree on the Revis/Defense analysis. It's the case I keep making back on my site.

The Jets TE's are Jeff Cumberland,Ben Hartsock, Dustin Keller and Matthew Mulligan. Keller as you know is the number one TE but Cumberland is the one to watch. He's shown that he has a receivers speed, and he's physical (he once punched a guy in the jaw and the guy had to have his mouth wired or 6 weeks, which hurt him in the draft). As far as has been reported, he can catch.

As for the bravado, it's a new thing for me. So far I like it but I know if we fall on our faces it will be what is thrown right back at us.

Alright, gotta head out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference