PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grigson: "Luck's contract makes it hard to build a defense"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually do think Pagano is a decent coach.

3 straight 11-5 seasons.
8-8 last year with the franchise QB banged up.
3-3 postseason record.

The numbers support your claim.

He made some bonehead moves last year. There is no debating that.

Hes not trending in the right direction. Until the 4th qtr, they were lifeless in London. They were not ready to play that game. If SD had a brain the Dolts should be 0-4.

The problem in Indy is Grigson. If Polian or a good GM was there they'd be in a better place but Pagano is not doing his team any favors by not being ready to play and making strategic errors.

Grigson is a huge part of the problem, as is the coked-up owner. But Pagano hasn't exactly distinguished himself much either. Part of that has been covered up by playing in perhaps the worst division in football. The Texans are sometimes competitive, but the Jaguars and Titans are among the most consistently terrible football teams in America over the past decade.

Those 3 straight 11-5 season are less impressive when you consider

2012: 2-2 under Pagano, with Arians going 9-3 in his place due to health.

2013: 6-0 in the division. The rest of the division would win 13 games, 6 against each other. The Colts were 5-5 outside their ****ty division.

They did win a playoff game in a wild playoff game they trailed 38-10 at one point. Playing Andy Reid helps. Then they got smoked by the Patriots.

2014: 6-0 in the division again. The Texans at least were competitive winning 9 games thanks to 4 division wins and their last-place schedule from the year before giving them easy wins against Oakland and Buffalo, but the Jaguars (3) and Titans (2) were as close to a layup as you can get in the NFL.

So the Colts went 5-5 outside of the division. They get some credit for beating a Bengals team that can't seem to win a playoff game, then beating a clearly-fading Peyton, before being crushed by the Patriots. Again.

In almost any other division, they don't win double-digit games in 2013 or 2014. The playoff wins are okay until you actually look at what happened.

So I'm still on the fence. His 8-8 season last year might have been his best bit of coaching, although he still went 2-5 with Andrew Luck starting which makes you scratch your head.

Then again, he's not to blame for the terrible drafting, the terrible free agent signings, and the terrible trades. It's like the holy trinity of sucking at owner/GM/coach.

Grigson is a huge part of the problem, as is the coked-up owner. But Pagano hasn't exactly distinguished himself much either. Part of that has been covered up by playing in perhaps the worst division in football. The Texans are sometimes competitive, but the Jaguars and Titans are among the most consistently terrible football teams in America over the past decade.

Those 3 straight 11-5 season are less impressive when you consider

2012: 2-2 under Pagano, with Arians going 9-3 in his place due to health.

2013: 6-0 in the division. The rest of the division would win 13 games, 6 against each other. The Colts were 5-5 outside their ****ty division.

They did win a playoff game in a wild playoff game they trailed 38-10 at one point. Playing Andy Reid helps. Then they got smoked by the Patriots.

2014: 6-0 in the division again. The Texans at least were competitive winning 9 games thanks to 4 division wins and their last-place schedule from the year before giving them easy wins against Oakland and Buffalo, but the Jaguars (3) and Titans (2) were as close to a layup as you can get in the NFL.

So the Colts went 5-5 outside of the division. They get some credit for beating a Bengals team that can't seem to win a playoff game, then beating a clearly-fading Peyton, before being crushed by the Patriots. Again.

In almost any other division, they don't win double-digit games in 2013 or 2014. The playoff wins are okay until you actually look at what happened.

So I'm still on the fence. His 8-8 season last year might have been his best bit of coaching, although he still went 2-5 with Andrew Luck starting which makes you scratch your head.

Then again, he's not to blame for the terrible drafting, the terrible free agent signings, and the terrible trades. It's like the holy trinity of sucking at owner/GM/coach.

Yep. Points taken. Hes decent. Not great but not abysmal either and there is a lot of bad coaching in the NFL.

Correct on Ariens running the show in 2012 or whenever. I still call it Pagano's team but point taken.

There was a stat from somewhere that showed Sucks numbers vs AFC South teams vs the rest of the NFL. It was frightening how very average he was vs the rest of the NFL and almost Bradyesque vs the AFC South

His career splits look better against the AFC South no doubt, although he's thrown for more yards vs. others (maybe because he's trailed more often).

But the key number, wins, he's 17-3 against the AFC south and 19-20 against everyone else. He's basically Jay Cutler in a worse division.

I don't have much sympathy for Luck's predicament at this point. No one forced him to sign that contract extension. He could very easily have let himself get franchised in 2017, franchised again in 2018, and then signed a huge deal with a competent organization the next offseason. Yes, he'd take on the risk of a career ending injury. But the franchise money is fully guaranteed once the contract is signed, and the 2016 5th year option money plus the 2017 franchise money (not to mention 2018 franchise money if no career ending injury before then) is more than enough to set him and his immediate family up for life financially. Luck made his deal with the devil, he has to live with the consequences.

Even a mediocre GM would have the (blood)Clots looking at 11-13 wins, playing in that division. Luck's got to be thinking something like:

Grigson will be gone
Brady will retire, or at least start some sort of decline
The next GM will at least be able to spell the word "defender"
I'll collect my money, and I can chase SBs in about 2-3 years

But the key number, wins, he's 17-3 against the AFC south and 19-20 against everyone else. He's basically Jay Cutler in a worse division.
I think Cutler actually is the closest comparison even as it escapes mainstream notice. Luck's "highs" are higher, I mean **** that guy but at his best he's had some quite excellent games and pre-2014 whining after the AFCCG I even would've called him fun to watch on occasion. But while Cutler gets raked over the coals for being an aggressively mediocre, low-completion percentage turnover machine (in large part because of his perceived persona/attitude) Luck has gotten a pass for being essentially the same QB with a different public persona and on a slightly better team.

I think Luck is good enough to be pissed at some of what's going on around him, but I also think in most cases he's been a willful participant being part of the joke/****show that their organization is at this point. I don't think even if they built the team Grigson is basically claiming he could have - if not for the contract he played a part in giving Luck - that he has necessarily earned all the goodwill and expectation that's in his corner as a "franchise" QB that would obviously lead said team to immediate SB glory. He's played like **** while his team got their clocks cleaned in his 3 playoff losses.

Difference between Luck and Brady cap hits in 2016: $4.4 million.

Colts adjusted team cap: $160.6 million, about $1 million more than the Patriots.

I call ********. No, I call stupid ********, since he threw his QB under the bus.

He's done.

As soon as you go public blaming the QB that type of stuff ends with one or the other leaving town and we all know who's not leaving.

In a normal city, a pro sport not named the NFL, in similar circumstances, no frickin way. But this mudslinging strategy might actually work. And, as previous poster mentioned, I also hope they swallow this bullshiite, pass the buck to the defensive CB coach, blame him (the "fall guy") for the entire teams defensive shortcomings for the last 3 yrs, and Grigson get to stick around for 10 more years.

I got banned from the Colts board after like 10 years of posting for implying that Grigson looked like a pedophile

Just an FYI lol

I got banned from the Colts board after like 10 years of posting for implying that Grigson looked like a pedophile

Just an FYI lol

Really so in your honest detective like opinion you go after grigson as a pederass. What are you a cop? Wow really i am ashamed that we are apart of the same fan base. Irsay is the pedo in the building sir.

One play, Luck and Pagano took teams that belonged no where near the playoffs, to the playoffs, and to a conference championship game

He could be. Hard for me to decipher whether it's Grigson, Pagano, Irsay or a combination of the three that sinks them but I hope they keep that magical chemistry together for a while longer.

Do you think Pagano would have ever gotten more than 8 wins in the East? I don't. Meaning that I think it's a 3 game handicap to play in their division.

Just an FYI lol

Is that one of those "Your joke hits too close to the truth" situations that made people upset?

Sad part is Grigson doesn't even seem to realize as bad as his defense is, his OL is worse and Luck is getting killed each and every game.

Roger Goodell is looking at Grigson right now and thinking, "That's my kind of guy."
Oh, he seems like exactly the kind of piece of **** that would get fired from his GM job only to be handed a 900k/yr position as "Vice President and Managing Director of Shield Defense & Integrity" at the NFL offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back