PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh **** this is unprecedented. How on Earth can this Patriots team endure having Gordon for only part of the season???? You don't just lose a player like Josh Gordon and then win the Super Bowl!

He already counts as a roster spot...

He was designated to return on Oct 15. Bill has 21 days to activate him. Until that happens he doesn't count against the 53. He also could simply not be activated, at which point the Pats basically wasted a 1 of 2 of their designations. That is what the blue check marks on twitter say.

Bring AB back! And get another tight end for God's sake

I think a 3rd is reasonable.

What we paid for Sanu, what our dwindling receiver list is coming to, where our 3rd round picks land (at the bottom), and Tampa seemingly not certainly wanting to part with him -- unfortunately I think Tampa feels in the driver's seat here (i.e. we're a junky and they have the only smack available :)). If I'm Tampa I'd hold out for more and roll the dice for an overpay.

No team in this era can have studs at every position. There are trade-offs in building a team. The Pats have been very successful not having a “stud” WR. And yet people continue to pine for one. Give me a stud CB any day - we often win when we have one of those.

There was a lawsuit for the first one. And then there was the accusation in the SI article for the second. Along with Browns reaction when it came out.

Kraft has the right to run his business the way he wants. And he's done so for 25 years.

I agree he has the right. But after employing a murderer and allegedly getting hand jobs maybe he can drop the self righteous routine. I have always gone easy on Kraft but I am sick of the if you even get accused of doing something to a women you are bad but I’ll just use them as prostitutes in my personal life routine.

Belichick disagrees. He also thinks Meyers is better for the offense than Gordon.

I know people were hoping '13 Gordon would emerge but he isn't that guy anymore.

Meyers is a really interesting piece for Bill to work on for the next 2-3 years. I think he is going to be one of the better UDFAs Bill has picked up when it is all said and done. He would have been drafted but was was slow on the 40. But the 40 is overrated see: Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson.

Real bummer

I was so hopeful of the Josh Gordon redemption story after the team seemed to have looked after him during his rehab.

Really looking like an even better thing we got rid of AB though. It’s understandable Kraft wouldn’t want him around to besmirch his sterling reputation.

No team in this era can have studs at every position. There are trade-offs in building a team. The Pats have been very successful not having a “stud” WR. And yet people continue to pine for one. Give me a stud CB any day - we often win when we have one of those.

But our running game and tight ends stink. I'd be happy just as happy if not more so if we upgraded at tight end rather than receiver.

I liked last years Gordon ...
This years Gordon seems to have separation issues ...
I suspect there was more going on physically ... just wasn't the same guy.

There was a lawsuit for the first one. And then there was the accusation in the SI article for the second. Along with Browns reaction when it came out.

Kraft has the right to run his business the way he wants. And he's done so for 25 years.

Also didn’t mean to shoot the messenger. Nothing that you said is false. I am frustrated by krafts hypocrisy.

Even with Sanu's arrival and Harry incoming, I don't think releasing a WR was inevitable or even necessary. This is a strong message about something, whether that's how optimistic they are about Sanu and the rookies, or a less flattering statement about Gordon.

I liked last years Gordon ...
This years Gordon seems to have separation issues ...
So does my dog but you don’t see me getting rid of her. :(:(

I agree he has the right. But after employing a murderer and allegedly getting hand jobs maybe he can drop the self righteous routine. I have always gone easy on Kraft but I am sick of the if you even get accused of doing something to a women you are bad but I’ll just use them as prostitutes in my personal life routine.
He released Brown for the simple reason that it would discredit his character in this #meetoo movement after he got caught paying for sex. I’m sure he was feeling a ton of pressure when the lawsuit came out, but found his out with the “text”.

Meanwhile, Pat Chung could be a drug dealer, yet nobody cares. Like AB, Chung is innocent until proven guilty.

It was reported that Gordon will be released from IR once healthy. For that to happen, both sides need to agree to an injury settlement. For Gordon, that means he doesn't have to wait until 2020 to play. For the Patriots, he's off the cap this year. And who knows, maybe they're doing him a good turn since they know playing football keeps him off drugs and don't wamt him just stewing on IR without football.

In theory the Patriots could actually bring him back after a certain amount of time (10 weeks pr something). They did that with Larry Centers back in the day, settlement off IR early in the season and brought back when eligible in December.
Thanks. Is there any scenario where they wouldn’t agree to an injury settlement, and where it might make sense to absorb the remaining cap hit to avoid seeing him go to a competitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes