PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be another Debbie Downer here but does anyone really think the Pats have a chance to win a close game? They will need to blow the Donks out of their own building in order to win this game. There is no way the league will allow the Pats to win if they can help it.

Follow me here. The poster boy for the NFL is PM. The SB is in NYC. This is a HUGE deal for the league that values it's image above all else. They need to have PM in the big game.

The other option would be to have the Pats in the game AGAIN. Spygate gets 2-weeks of coverage again. And the REAL issue that will affect the game's outcome? Yup you guessed it. AH!!

There is no way in heck that the league wants that case brought anywhere near their BIG GAME. No flippin way they allow that to happen. 2-weeks of AH coverage! It is beyond ridiculous now. Imagine it during SB week?

So expect another mind numbing officiated game. Look for the yellow flag on a late drive by the golden boy. Sorry folks but unless they blow em out I don't thin the league allows a Pats win.

Sorry for the negative waves man but I had to vent.

Go Pats!
So when the Patriots won in 01,03,04 it was only because the NFL wanted them to? They didn't earn it?
Come on Man,

I do worry about officials and their calls being affected by boisterous home crowds near the end of games. I've just seen it too many times, particularly this season.

You are pretty humorless. My god.

People watch the NBA, and they know it's rigged. A lot is rigged.
This is an assertion. Nobody knows the NBA is rigged, some people might think so. Some people that watch the NBA think they've been abducted by aliens. Doesn't mean all or most NBA fans believe it's rigged.

The competition committee directly oversees the refs. They know how their bread is buttered.

It's a problem, whoever controls the refs could exert influence over them. Yet somebody (or some group) must be in charge of them. However the competition committee has many people on it with competing interests. A rule that helps one team hurts the others. The assumption here is the committee all have the same interest. Obviously they don't, different teams equals opposing interests.

In college football, you have refs directly working for conferences, and everyone knows it's rigged, they still watch.

Another assertion, no evidence of this.

When the Patriots won the 2004 CG, Tedy Bruschi had a few choice words for how the competition committee came out and changed the rules to hurt the Patriots. What in the world do you think he was speaking to?

He was speaking about Polian trying to help his team by emphasizing the defensive holding rule. Polian has his own interests, he tries to help himself. As does everyone else. But Polian working in his own interest does not equal the league working in concert to advance one agenda.

Again--tell me about the Jets taping the Patriots at Foxboro, and how the NFL lied. Do you have an answer for why the NFL did that? I bet you don't. Just answer that question. Just once.

The Patriots removed the cameraman and didn't report to the NFL. Then Goodell put out the memo. Then the Jets reported the Patriots to the NFL. They could have just removed him but Mangini is a slimeball. Goodell could have done nothing or very little but he's a Jet fanboy slimeball. But what does that mean? Goodell is a crappy commissioner who loves the Jets? We all know that, and when he gets a chance to help his team he probably will but that merely establishes motive. What is the mechanism for influencing games? Does he tell the refs to help the Jets? Does he change the rules? He doesn't have the power to do those things and if he did he would be opposed by the 31 other teams who don't want the Jets to win.

Goodell has his team, Polian had his, Shula had his, Jeff Fisher has one, and so does Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. But none of them have the same interest, and none of them have the power to exert influence over everyone else except in rare isolated circumstances. In fact I would bet that every single person in the league office, competition committee, and all the refs have some team they were fans of long before they worked for the NFL. But I'll bet that 99% try to keep that from influencing what they do (even if subconsciously it may effect them sometimes). But that doesn't make anything rigged because they don't all have the same team they want to win.

The biggest problem with the entire theory is that it's just an exceptionally poor investment to try to rig NFL games. Tons of players, tons of officials, and replay. If you were given a million dollars to try to rig and bet on a sport you would have to be an idiot to try the NFL. Even if you paid every official you couldn't guarantee a victory. The NFL is like Fork Knox security but without the money. People rob gas stations- not because they have the most money but because they have the least security. But in terms of betting you can put just as much on a boxing match as on a football game, but you only need to get one guy to have a 100% chance of rigging boxing. Which is why boxing is known for being corrupt. In football it would take many people and still there wouldn't be 100% guarantee. You would just have to be an idiot to try to influence an NFL game when almost every other sport is so much easier to rig.

As expected, you whiffed. When presented with a clear double standard, you can't explain it. I knew you were going to do that.
Speaking of whiffing, why did you ignore my question? I'll ask it again:

Was the league rigged the years NE won their 3 Super Bowls? Or is it only rigged when we lose?

The NFL owe Kraft and Mara (sp?) the Giants owner BIG TIME for the contracts they helped pass. Perhaps this is all payback? Who knows? Maybe everything is a lie and the NFL is fixed in the way Vegas gambling is fixed with the odds favoring the house. The house is the refs...sometimes the players screw the house....sometimes the house screws the players.

I do worry about officials and their calls being affected by boisterous home crowds near the end of games. I've just seen it too many times, particularly this season.

This I do agree with, NFL officials have shown over and over and over that when it comes to big calls at the end of games they go with the hometown team. However that is just something that championship teams have to overcome to win the Lombardi. Over the course of every season the team that eventually wins the Lombardi will have major injuries, good breaks and bad breaks, good calls and bad calls, and everything in between, We see it every season and it will be true this season as well. The team that ends up on the podium at the end is the Champion, period, and if you don't respect that then you can't respect the Patriots Lombardi's any more than anyone else's because they had all of those factors when they won their championships. E.g.. The Tuck Rule, David Patten's unconscious first down, and John Kasey kicking the ball out of bounds...etc... etc.. And although i think the tuck call was technically right i still see it as a great break for the Pattriots, because i believe most refs would have ruled otherwise 90% of the time..

The Patriots removed the cameraman and didn't report to the NFL. Then Goodell put out the memo. Then the Jets reported the Patriots to the NFL. They could have just removed him but Mangini is a slimeball. Goodell could have done nothing or very little but he's a Jet fanboy slimeball. But what does that mean? Goodell is a crappy commissioner who loves the Jets? We all know that, and when he gets a chance to help his team he probably will but that merely establishes motive. What is the mechanism for influencing games? Does he tell the refs to help the Jets? Does he change the rules? He doesn't have the power to do those things and if he did he would be opposed by the 31 other teams who don't want the Jets to win.

I am not an expert on cameragate but I don't think this is accurate. Mangini was coaching when it went down so he could not have reported the Patriots to the NFL, it was Tannnenbaum who turned it into a major incident when he called NFL Security. Mangini's role in the fiasco was to alert the jets organization to the practice, however once Tannenbaum brought NFL Security into the matter it blew up way beyond anything Mangini ever anticipated. I actually believe Mangini when he said that he never meant for it to turn into the major issue that it turned into and i can understand why he alerted his franchise to the practice, where he went wrong was by not meeting with Tannenbaum to tell him not to turn it into a major issue.

As I said, i am not an expert on cameragate an ould be wrong, but I don't see how Mangini could have called NFL Security when he was actively coaching the Jets when it all went down. Mangini pulled other crap on his way out the door that he was definitely accountable for, such as trying to recruit players and coaches before they shut him out, but in terms of his role in blowing the camera issue into a big issue I believe him when he said he never realized it would explode the way it did and that he actually feels really bad that it ended up harming Belichick and the Patriots the way it did. I am sure that will be an unpopular stance in this forum but that's what i really think happened, and i am not a big fan of Fredo.

I am not an expert on cameragate but I don't think this is accurate. Mangini was coaching when it went down so he could not have reported the Patriots to the NFL, it was Tannnenbaum who turned it into a major incident when he called NFL Security. Mangini's role in the fiasco was to alert the jets organization to the practice, however once Tannenbaum brought NFL Security into the matter it blew up way beyond anything Mangini ever anticipated. I actually believe Mangini when he said that he never meant for it to turn into the major issue that it turned into and i can understand why he alerted his franchise to the practice, where he went wrong was by not meeting with Tannenbaum to tell him not to turn it into a major issue.

As I said, i am not an expert on cameragate an could be wrong, but I don't see how Mangini could have called NFL Security when he was actively coaching the Jets when it all went down. Mangini pulled other crap on his way out the door that he was definitely accountable for, such as trying to recruit players and coaches before they shut him out, but in terms of his role in blowing the camera issue into a big issue I believe him when he said he never realized it would explode the way it did and that he actually feels really bad that it ended up harming Belichick and the Patriots the way it did. I am sure that will be an unpopular stance in this forum but that's what i really think happened, and i am not a big fan of Fredo.

* Note-I do agree with some of the other points, just not the one putting it on Mangini, it was Tannenbaum who brought the league in and it happened during the actual game.

This is an assertion. Nobody knows the NBA is rigged, some people might think so. Some people that watch the NBA think they've been abducted by aliens. Doesn't mean all or most NBA fans believe it's rigged.

Are you an NBA fan? That storyline hews tightly. When the referee rigging was uncovered a couple years ago, few people were surprised. Were you surprised at what the refs said? These guys openly admitted that they punished teams they didn't like.

It's a problem, whoever controls the refs could exert influence over them. Yet somebody (or some group) must be in charge of them. However the competition committee has many people on it with competing interests. A rule that helps one team hurts the others. The assumption here is the committee all have the same interest. Obviously they don't, different teams equals opposing interests.

There are 5 people on the committee. 2 coaches. The other 3 are GMs. Bill Polian and Jeff Fisher were 2 of 5 people on that committee.

Another assertion, no evidence of this.

No evidence of what? Conference officials? In college, officials aren't independent contractors. They work for one team. What are you saying exactly? The officials are paid by one team in each matchup. Do you follow college sports? The reffing for Duke bball games and Michigan football games is legendary.

He was speaking about Polian trying to help his team by emphasizing the defensive holding rule. Polian has his own interests, he tries to help himself. As does everyone else. But Polian working in his own interest does not equal the league working in concert to advance one agenda.

He was speaking about the opposition's inordinate influence on the refs.

I find little here to disagree with, especially the bolded part. This is exactly what I am saying. When the Jets do it, he does nothing. And when the Patriots do it, he comes down as hard as he can. The only difference is that the NFL absolutely did get the report (maybe not officially). But the NFL did say that the Jets had permission. That was a quote from the NFL. When the reporter followed up with the Patriots, the response was that no one gave the Jets permission. Besides, the NFL basically admitted that the Jets got permission to cheat. Which is absolutely absurd. This had nothing to do with the refs. It was all about the league office damaging the Patriots badly for something the Jets had also done and got through without a scratch.

Goodell has his team,

He certainly does.

Polian had his, Shula had his, Jeff Fisher has one, and so does Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. But none of them have the same interest, and none of them have the power to exert influence over everyone else except in rare isolated circumstances. In fact I would bet that every single person in the league office, competition committee, and all the refs have some team they were fans of long before they worked for the NFL. But I'll bet that 99% try to keep that from influencing what they do (even if subconsciously it may effect them sometimes). But that doesn't make anything rigged because they don't all have the same team they want to win.

The biggest problem with the entire theory is that it's just an exceptionally poor investment to try to rig NFL games. Tons of players, tons of officials, and replay. If you were given a million dollars to try to rig and bet on a sport you would have to be an idiot to try the NFL. Even if you paid every official you couldn't guarantee a victory. The NFL is like Fork Knox security but without the money. People rob gas stations- not because they have the most money but because they have the least security. But in terms of betting you can put just as much on a boxing match as on a football game, but you only need to get one guy to have a 100% chance of rigging boxing. Which is why boxing is known for being corrupt. In football it would take many people and still there wouldn't be 100% guarantee. You would just have to be an idiot to try to influence an NFL game when almost every other sport is so much easier to rig.

I never said anything other than that Goodell's Front Office has twice in the past gone out of its way to favor the Jets over the Patriots. Once when it came to Spygate and again when Ray Anderson showed up at the end of a Patriots overtime loss and celebrated with his ex-Jets Admin. mates. That is definitely not impartiality.

As for the rest, we already have plenty of instances in the NBA when the refs have been less than upfront, and even though there are 3 of them, it doesn't hold some back from doing it. This has been revealed in books, by Joey Crawford who admitted as much, and by others who deliberately twisted games and were caught.

With college, it just comes with the grain that the referees who are paid by the conference and teams make sure not to hurt their employer's chances. Especially when you have a team competing for a lucrative bowl--they are going to intervene to make sure their employer has that team that gets the big paycheck.

Do people here watch college football?

Speaking of whiffing, why did you ignore my question? I'll ask it again:

Was the league rigged the years NE won their 3 Super Bowls? Or is it only rigged when we lose?

Didn't see you ask that question. It has literally nothing to do with the original post about Goodell. I didn't think it was rigged, nor have I said the Patriots only lose because of the refs. But keep coming up with ridiculous strawman arguments (no wonder Andy Johnson likes your posts) that have nothing to do with what I wrote or with what the OP said.

Again, answer the question about the Jets filming? Why the double standard?

What evidence? Coach Belichick got fined for filming out of location. Filming games in itself doesn't violate any NFL rules - every team films EZ to EZ. Where in that article you linked is there evidence that the Jets were filming from improper locations? That is your conjecture.

I could say I have evidence that I bedded Jessica Alba. Doesn't make it true.

Jets videotaped Patriots last season in Foxborough - NFL - ESPN

"The Jets were caught videotaping at Gillette Stadium last season and the Patriots had that New York employee removed from the area, according to published reports Wednesday. Jets coach Eric Mangini said his team received permission to film behind both end zones during the playoff game in January.

"We taped the game is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double-end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

The Jets claimed that was legal. According to the rule posted in THIS thread, it's clearly a violation. The Goodell lovers will still see what they want to see.

What evidence? Coach Belichick got fined for filming out of location. Filming games in itself doesn't violate any NFL rules - every team films EZ to EZ. Where in that article you linked is there evidence that the Jets were filming from improper locations? That is your conjecture.

I could say I have evidence that I bedded Jessica Alba. Doesn't make it true.

Seriously, are you so unaware of Spygate that you don't even realize it's illegal to film from anywhere that isn't enclosed by 3 walls?

That's the whole reason they were seeking permission!!!! That's the whole reason the filming made it up to the league office and why the NFL commented on it.

Seems like someone doesn't know the basic facts around Spygate.

Jets videotaped Patriots last season in Foxborough - NFL - ESPN

"The Jets were caught videotaping at Gillette Stadium last season and the Patriots had that New York employee removed from the area, according to published reports Wednesday. Jets coach Eric Mangini said his team received permission to film behind both end zones during the playoff game in January.

"We taped the game is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double-end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

The Jets claimed that was legal. According to the rule posted in THIS thread, it's clearly a violation. The Goodell lovers will still see what they want to see.

Exactly, Joker. You are NOT allowed to film from the end zone. Now this joke of a poster is telling us that's not illegal.

And Andy Johnson likes that ridiculously erroneous comment.

"Was the league rigged the years NE won their 3 Super Bowls? Or is it only rigged when we lose?"

was Goodell commissioner the years New England won? Has New England won SINCE Goodell took office?

Didn't see you ask that question. It has literally nothing to do with the original post about Goodell. I didn't think it was rigged, nor have I said the Patriots only lose because of the refs. But keep coming up with ridiculous strawman arguments (no wonder Andy Johnson likes your posts) that have nothing to do with what I wrote or with what the OP said.

Again, answer the question about the Jets filming? Why the double standard?
I will gladly answer your questions just so soon as you explain what in the heck you are actually saying. Seriously, you're all over the place here.

Does the Commissioner rig the outcome of NFL games or not? I honestly am trying to understand what you're saying but I am having trouble deciphering through all the whining.

I will gladly answer your questions just so soon as you explain what in the heck you are actually saying. Seriously, you're all over the place here.

Does the Commissioner rig the outcome of NFL games or not? I honestly am trying to understand what you're saying but I am having trouble deciphering through all the whining.

I said 100 times already. Can't you read? Goodell is biased against the New England Patriots especially when it comes to the Jets.

"Was the league rigged the years NE won their 3 Super Bowls? Or is it only rigged when we lose?"

was Goodell commissioner the years New England won? Has New England won SINCE Goodell took office?
This is the EXACT argument people use when they say the Patriots only won their Super Bowls because of Spygate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back