PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GOAT DTs

Agreed. The sapp in Tampa was damn near unblockable. Then you thrown in 2 hall of famers at each level (brooks and lynch) and you get an elite defense.
Don't forget Ronde on the outside

I think it's interesting that a lot of these guys are "undersized". Randle, Donald, Sapp never dominated bc of their massive size. And they're largely 4-3 DTs. The 3-4 DL don't seem to get the stats or recognition.
Two monster dudes that didn't put up numbers but that always impressed me when I watched them were Marcus Stroud and John Henderson in Jacksonville (I think I remember the names right). Those guys were monsters and absolutely collapsed the offensive line.

I watched them were Marcus Stroud and John Henderson in Jacksonville (I think I remember the names right). Those guys were monsters and absolutely collapsed the offensive line.

Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa in that same vein. Ray Lewis gets a lot of credit but he had these guys and later Ngata and others eating the blockers so Ray could run free. Ray's a great player but he's not the same when he has to get through the trash and get to the ball carrier. He complained about it before they drafted Ngata to replace Adams and Siragusa.

Bryant Young & Jerome Brown?

Jerome Brown.....he was on his way. He was right there with White. Tragedy.
Yea both were really something.
Interesting discussion. Especially when you consider technique, alignment, responsibility etc.

Yea both were really something.
Interesting discussion. Especially when you consider technique, alignment, responsibility etc.
Exactly. Thats why the more versatile
well-rounded are at the top of the list.

Reggie, Kleko and Kennedy could play anywhere on the line and be dominant vs run or pass. 3-4 DT, NT, 4-3 DT...didn't matter.

Thread needs more Ted Washington love. Dude was a monster.

Exactly. Thats why the more versatile
well-rounded are at the top of the list.

Reggie, Kleko and Kennedy could play anywhere on the line and be dominant vs run or pass. 3-4 DT, NT, 4-3 DT...didn't matter.
Ngata was great as well. Kevin Williams. Him & Pat were a force.

Almost wanna give a mention to Justin Smith too. He was another great one.

Atkins might end up one of the more underrated ones if he stays healthy for another 2-3 years & still puts up #'s.

I know we think of Seymour as a DE but a lot of NFL people consider him one of the best DTs of all time. Gil Brandt has him as one of the best post 1981

I still thank my lucky stars that Ted Washington fell into our laps back in '03 after that Steve Martin fiasco in '02....

I know we think of Seymour as a DE but a lot of NFL people consider him one of the best DTs of all time. Gil Brandt has him as one of the best post 1981

Sey was a dt. 3-4 Des are basically 4-3 DTS and should be grouped with them.
Size,skill set etc is much more comparable than to a 43 de.

In 1969 the front four of the Minnesota Vikings all went to the Pro Bowl, that is a first and last, the combo of Jim Marshall, Carl Eller, Alan Page, and Gary Larsen. They were known as the "Purple People Eaters".. the Vikings claim that they had something like 440 sacks over their career.

When Ted Washington played nose tackle for the Pats really understood the value of the position..

Interestingly Alan Page went on to be elected In 1992 to an open seat as an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court (largest vote getter ever for that post), I remember him when he played for ND ( National Champs in 1966) and was a huge force there as well..

He was a special player. There was a void when he left that took a little while to work around, that’s for sure.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back