PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Go on the record: What is your assessment of the Gordon acquisition (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is your initial assessment of the Josh Gordon trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my guess is that the Pats line up for their first offensive snap on Sunday with Gronk, Hogan and Gordon in trips-left, Dorsett split to the right and White in the backfield.

Brady then motions Gordon to the right slot, motions Dorsett to the trips set, and then White to replace Dorsett on the right.

White runs a rub-route to the inside across Gordon's path. Gordon runs a hit-and-go down the right sideline. Gronk runs a fade left Dorsett runs a crosser just behind the LBs.

And Brady hits a wide-open Hogan on the post route.

The result is a 75-yard TD ... and this ...

facepalm ezgif.com-crop.gif

So, my guess is that the Pats line up for their first offensive snap on Sunday with Gronk, Hogan and Gordon in trips-left, Dorsett split to the right and White in the backfield.

Brady then motions Gordon to the right slot, motions Dorsett to the trips set, and then White to replace Dorsett on the right.

White runs a rub-route to the inside across Gordon's path. Gordon runs a hit-and-go down the right sideline. Gronk runs a fade left Dorsett runs a crosser just behind the LBs.

View attachment 21269

I LiKE it, my man..but.. I dont see Gordon playing more than a few snaps this week.

The initial assessment? I’m going to put him somewhere between Taylor Price and Randy Moss. Put me on the record.

(joking here)

Tom should work out a deal with the NFL for TB to take a new number, prompt the largest uptick in jersey sales in NFL history, and then split the proceeds.

Won't happen (and shouldn't) but it would the apparel-related economy rolling! TB12 would also need a new name.

It will be a miracle if Ray Lewis doesent accidentally kill him before even one snap

That's my fear as well. Losing him in three weeks doesn't really hurt but if he flakes out during the playoffs it'll suck.

I would have preferred developing a guy but he's here now and I agree that the upside is tremendous so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Personally I hope he gets control of his issues whether he's with the Pats or not. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that as well.

Well, geometrically speaking, it is a 180 (good game, poor game). Hopefully, there will be another 180 for the Lions game. Or 2 right turns.

How about just one U-turn?

I don’t have very high hopes but there’s virtually 0 risk so im all for the trade.

On principle, and for my love of @mosslost, I chose Lewis.

I HOPE it works out, but I BELIEVE it was an ill advised choice. We’ll see. I’m rooting for Gordon, but I’m sceptical he can overcome his issues.

I wouldn't worry about that necessarily. Most reports I've seen from his coaches and teammates indicate he's a good guy and good teammate, he just can't help himself when it comes to the personal issues. I think the only way he becomes a distraction/cancer is if the coaching staff allows him to get away with things that other players wouldn't, and I don't anticipate that happening.
Skip to 17:20 of Mike Lombardi's podcast ( Week 2 Reactions ) and be ready for him to make my case for me.

His best quote: "We gotta stop wanting this more for Josh than Josh wants it for himself".

Says Josh is not malicious but he has been babied, has documented addiction problems, and these issues are much bigger than his love of football. Talks about how he's the one who threw his playbook into the locker without reading it, and now has to get himself to a master's level of football knowledge.

Also said when he was GM of the Browns he had a trade lined up with the 49ers to give Gordon and get back a 2nd rounder, but the owner nixed it because he didn't want to deal with the fan's reaction. He regrets not being allowed to do it because he already knew Gordon was not going to change.

View attachment 21269
You’re on the right path. Instead of the post route TD, it will be a jet sweep to Gronk for 1 yard. Set up play!

Geesh you could have save the key strokes.:D

Very true. ;)

However, my experience is that few posters on this (or other) fan websites worry about minimizing their keystrokes. One of my standard mantras is: "less is more", but I think fan websites are an exception. :D

We shall see... ;)

Skip to 17:20 of Mike Lombardi's podcast ( Week 2 Reactions ) and be ready for him to make my case for me.

His best quote: "We gotta stop wanting this more for Josh than Josh wants it for himself".

Says Josh is not malicious but he has been babied, has documented addiction problems, and these issues are much bigger than his love of football. Talks about how he's the one who threw his playbook into the locker without reading it, and now has to get himself to a master's level of football knowledge.

Also said when he was GM of the Browns he had a trade lined up with the 49ers to give Gordon and get back a 2nd rounder, but the owner nixed it because he didn't want to deal with the fan's reaction. He regrets not being allowed to do it because he already knew Gordon was not going to change.
I heard this today, too. Said Randy Moss loved football despite any concerns about his attitude. Said Gordon never showed a passion for football and probably could have used that passion to help redirect his focus on something positive.

Regards,
Chris

what's the downside?

if he washes out 35 spots at the end of the draft is a downside? 650k isn't much of a downside, either
The downside is wasting time and the development of the offense in him.
If you really believe that Coleman and Gordon would get implemented the same way and play the same role you aren’t being honest.

This is what is ironic to me. The better Gordon is the more risk he presents.
If he fails a drug test tomorrow there was no risk. If he gets wr2 snaps, the risk increases. An offense grows and develops throughout a season. Wasting time on a part that will
no longer be there ******s that development. The bigger the role the greater the downside.
If he is playing wr1 and getting 10 targets a game the risk is dramatic.
Personally if he last that long, I will be very worried that the pressure of playing in the post season will get to him.
I’m not sure where his child custody case stands but if he loses it who isn’t worried that he may go check himself in somewhere? That’s his mo.

I mean, he's literally got Tom Brady's number tattooed on his back... if that isn't commitment, I don't know what is!

Good news is if he picks up the TB12 method and starts drinking 37 glasses of water a day he is probably a lot less likely to fail a drug test;)

My expectations are 5.5 ft underground 6 more inches and he's buried. No big loss a 2 round gamble at the bottom of the draft for a top 3 talent at his position is worth a shot. I just don't expect it to work out. But boy if he claws and digs his way out of the grave. Look out brother space-x will be riding him to the moon!

Gordon will come in and its going to be great. Hes going to make a difference and everyone will love him.

At some point and maybe not this season, Gordon will screw it up because that is what he does.

I'll tune into the SNF game this week. So there's that. I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes