PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Go on the record: What is your assessment of the Gordon acquisition (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is your initial assessment of the Josh Gordon trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also we'll have to move someone off the roster who is probably a special teamer (and I don't expect Josh to fill that space). Also, Edleman is back in 3 weeks (so another spot will be up and it might be Josh if he doesn't show promise?)

As a side note, how upset is mosslot that he didn't think of this as a poll idea?

How could the answer be ANYTHING but the second selection???.... this was a low priced gamble that puts Gordon on a leash and if he doesn't pan out then only a 5th rounder was lost - how the hell could it be anything else?? - one player has never derailed this team the past 20 years without being sent away and its not going to change now.

There's a good chance that it will fail but the cost is low and the reward variable of the equation far exceeds the risk. Pats weren't winning the Super Bowl this year with what they had in house anyway so why not roll the dice?

How could the answer be ANYTHING but the second selection???.... this was a low priced gamble that puts Gordon on a leash and if he doesn't pan out then only a 5th rounder was lost - how the hell could it be anything else?? - one player has never derailed this team the past 20 years without being sent away and its not going to change now.

Agree too easy. Better poll: will Josh Gordon be on the Patriots in 2019?

Mine is more nuanced.

On the field I am skeptical he is the same player people want to believe he is. Barely playing football for 4 years makes you a worse football player. His production backs that up.
That said he doesn’t suck so he can be helpful. The problem I see is the better he is the more risky he is.

Off the field the risk just isn’t if he fails another test, although that’s a big one given his history.
The risk is additionally that he has shown a pattern of being unreliable. When he was finally cleared to play (2017?) a few days before his first game he checked himself into a facility reportedly because he was hiding for a paternity test. Think about that for a minute. That was last year.
This year he didn’t show up for camp because he couldn’t mentally handle football while being in a custody battle.
There is a strong argument that he chose weed over football, but there is an incontrovertible argument that he chose to not play football over normal every day events happening in his life.

My concern is that the better he is the more reliant the offense becomes on him. I am not a proponent of building (to an extent) your offense around someone who has a big chance of disappearing one day, and given his history that could well come for to the pressure of a big game.
If we go 15-1 instead of the typical 12-4 because Gordon is a beast and we set he scoring record and he has 1500 receiving yards then he flakes during the bye we are in worse shape than if we had passed and just gone 12-4.

However he is here so I hope he is a beast and I will pray he doesn’t abandon the team.

There's a good chance that it will fail but the cost is low and the reward variable of the equation far exceeds the risk. Pats weren't winning the Super Bowl this year with what they had in house anyway so why not roll the dice?

Why so serious? I don't think there is a good chance this will fail. He's coming from the Brown's...the only organization that looks at a tie like a win. Josh seems to have grown up a bit, played well in some games last year. Hell, as long as he can run a go route, slant, or hitch route. We can use him.

Mine is more nuanced.

On the field I am skeptical he is the same player people want to believe he is. Barely playing football for 4 years makes you a worse football player. His production backs that up.
That said he doesn’t suck so he can be helpful. The problem I see is the better he is the more risky he is.

Off the field the risk just isn’t if he fails another test, although that’s a big one given his history.
The risk is additionally that he has shown a pattern of being unreliable. When he was finally cleared to play (2017?) a few days before his first game he checked himself into a facility reportedly because he was hiding for a paternity test. Think about that for a minute. That was last year.
This year he didn’t show up for camp because he couldn’t mentally handle football while being in a custody battle.
There is a strong argument that he chose weed over football, but there is an incontrovertible argument that he chose to not play football over normal every day events happening in his life.

My concern is that the better he is the more reliant the offense becomes on him. I am not a proponent of building (to an extent) your offense around someone who has a big chance of disappearing one day, and given his history that could well come for to the pressure of a big game.
If we go 15-1 instead of the typical 12-4 because Gordon is a beast and we set he scoring record and he has 1500 receiving yards then he flakes during the bye we are in worse shape than if we had passed and just gone 12-4.

However he is here so I hope he is a beast and I will pray he doesn’t abandon the team.

There's a lot to be said about being around strong leaders. I mean he wa sin the Brown's. Sometimes people need others to be mentally tough for them. I think he will thrive in a more structured environment.

If it works BB is still a genius, and the media will likely attempt to tie him to Gordon's drug dealers in carrying out his 6-year plan to wedge him from the Browns at a low price. That alone is worth the price of admission.

I'd love to see it work, but as the "end of your career" sort of leverage has been applied and failed previously, the only hope is the end of the Browns tour brought that point home. It feels like an Albert Haynesworth sort of acquisition to me. The problem is not coaching or talent. Personal issues are tough when you have to commit 100% to the game.

Seriously when Gordon is right CB's are absolutely Scared him you see it on tape.:cool: He's like Moss in his prime jogging out there and CB's are Ten yards off that's respect. Also he runs a lot of underneath routes and Slants. Gordon is a more gifted Route runner than Moss at this particular stage of their careers he's not so straight line-ish. No knock on the Great Moss of course.:cool:

Last edited:
We did what we thought what was best for the team and I mean Josh is a great player, works hard, runs great routes but we just need everyone to do their job and clean a lot of things up and get prepared for sunday.

Neutral trade, but using the same description as good trade as given above. I think his issues aren't going to be solved by a change of scenery, even to an organization like NE. Therefore I dont think he helps this team. That's not "good" in my book. Yet I dont think dropping 35-40 spots at the bottom of the draft...the most likely outcome, IMO...is going to hurt this team, either.

Regards,
Chris

This should cover the bases, but if you have a more nuanced position, state it please

Mine is more nuanced.

LOL... oh brother... mine is NOT nuanced... I say:

tenor.gif

"...eh, what the hell." :)

Last edited:

If Gordon helps us win the SB, it’s absolutely worth it, even if he relapses in the offseason and Bill has to cut him.

Very good trade

Low round pick given up, one coming back if it doesn’t pan out. Making like $600,000 in non guaranteed salary. At that rate of all he does is take an occasional safety off of Gronk and plays a decent chunk of games it’s a solid move.

If he produce at all like he’s capable of it’s a moss level move

If he gets cut tomorrow, then at least we tried for a minimal loss

The trade was SO cheap that it would be stupid to not take it. It's not risky if it costs you virtually nothing either way. A late 5th - an early 7th = almost no draft value whatsoever, and his salary is <$700,00 and not even guaranteed for anything. Oh no, we might miss out on drafting the latest dime corner from Rutgers, say it ain't so.

You mean like how our offense was built around Gronk in 2016 and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes