PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glenn Ordway out at WEEI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gresh can be obnoxious but he does know football, and I appreciate that about him. He and Zolak bring the only credible football talk to local radio.

Gresh may know some football, but the fact that he is a PitsDirt Squealers fanboy, and acts & sounds
just like those Neanderthals, gives him zero credibility with me.

I want my local sports commentary/analysis to come from local people, who have the best interests
of my teams at their hearts, too.

Personally I think it was a huge mistake firing Ordway; I think that the show will tank but that is just my opinion; others feel otherwise. We shall see... I think that WEEI fired the wrong guy; they should have fired Wolfe; he has been playing shuffleboard with peoples lives on that show instead of improving content. He is like so many obnoxious middle managers I have worked for; always changing org charts and firing people instead of making real improvements.

One way to improve content is to sober up Mikey Adams and get him to prepare for shows. Mikey is tremendously talented (great Irish accent for instance) but he comes into each show with nothing prepared and no scripts or skits.

Although I agree Wolfe needs to go, Ordway was part of the problem and not part of the solution for WEEI's rating woes. Wolfe and Ordway are similar in the fact they are dinosaurs and they do not understand the changing sports talk radio market anymore. They were cutting edge in the 90s, but they got fat and lazy with no competition over the last decades. WEEI needs to get a program manager who understands the current market.

As for Mike Adams, when your sports knowledge wheelhouse consists of 1970s Red Sox trivia and stats, you are anything but a "tremendous talent". I know Adams had a cult following when he was on TV (a rather small cult following at that), but he doesn't know anything about sports outside of the Red Sox and that knowledge is somewhat limited.

Gresh may know some football, but the fact that he is a PitsDirt Squealers fanboy, and acts & sounds

I want my local sports commentary/analysis to come from local people, who have the best interests

I don't have a problem with Gresh being a Steelers' fan. Fact is a large number of sports talk radio hosts in this town are not really Pats fans and are fans of other teams. It is the nature of the business. You move from market to market and you become a "fan" of the local teams until you move onto the next market and become a "fan" of that market's teams. Gresh doesn't flaunt his Steelers fandom and even pretends to be a Pats' fan. It is the nature of the industry.

I think he is annoying, but he does at least talk football and go beyond the superficial analysis that a lot of radio hosts on both station do.

Understandable, but I haven't heard him say anything in terms of comparing the Steelers to the Pats or going overboard with Steelers worship. (Same goes for Felger and his love of the Packers, for that matter.) Gresh's post-game Xs and Os analysis really is pretty good in my opinion. And he's never left alone in a vacuum re., Pats talk, with Zolak and others standing by.

Remember the year of the Carolina/Pats Super Bowl?

Gresh was on the SCORE with Cordische...he picked against the Pats every single game of that season and insulted every area fan that had the temerity to disagree with "His Blubberness"...he never shut up all year about his Steelers and WWE wrestling.

He's learned to sublimate his inner self to a degree that makes him almost tolerable these days but knowing his true inner feelings are roiling right there under the surface makes me take anything he says with a grain of salt.

I like Matt Chatham the most out of all the area personalities.

Gresh was on the SCORE with Cordische...he picked against the Pats every single game of that season and insulted every area fan that had the temerity to disagree with "His Blubberness"...he never shut up all year about his Steelers and WWE wrestling.

He's learned to sublimate his inner self to a degree that makes him almost tolerable these days but knowing his true inner feelings are roiling right there under the surface makes me take anything he says with a grain of salt.

So basically Gresh is hiding his inner Steve DeOssie well. For now.

Chatham is the best analyst

Joker, You need to let it go about his "inner self". That was Gresh in 2003 in his first radio gig on the score. He still adimits to be a steeler fan, but his x's and o's are pretty good. Most of the time, he sounds like a Pats fan.

Still have difficulty reconciling that Gresch got as far as he did.. convinced more and more over time that it is not about what they say or what they know, but how they are marketed and promoted by their agents.

Gresh is very different now than he was on the SCORE. Whatever happened to Cordishe anyway? Just remember he had a slight episode in a "no parking zone." Haven't heard of him since,.

So I tuned in to try to catch part of Ordway's last broadcast, and couldn't find it. I had to go online to see they are not 850 AM anymore. I guess that's how far down WEEI dropped in my attention - no idea when they switched to FM.

Podcasts and occasionally the Pats station are far better for driving sports entertainment.

The Big Show did not tank today thanks to Shep. Pete make it lively and entertaining with his typical jousting with called (and even Holley). Yesterday the Big Show tanked but not today.

Chatham is excellent but so is Gresh. So he is a big guy; who of us has a perfect body? Don't look at him; he has a face made for radio. Listen to what he says; he is well spoken and knowledgeable and fun. Chatham is more serious but very knowledgeable.

However if I was going to enjoy a few beers and the game I would rather be at the sports pub Gresh than Chatham.

I don't have a problem with Gresh being a Steelers' fan. Fact is a large number of sports talk radio hosts in this town are not really Pats fans and are fans of other teams. It is the nature of the business. You move from market to market and you become a "fan" of the local teams until you move onto the next market and become a "fan" of that market's teams. Gresh doesn't flaunt his Steelers fandom and even pretends to be a Pats' fan. It is the nature of the industry.

I think he is annoying, but he does at least talk football and go beyond the superficial analysis that a lot of radio hosts on both station do.

I can dig the counter-point, but whatever Gresh knows about football does not outweigh his complete unlistenability & unlikability.
And I'd rather not have my Pats info disseminated by some mercenary, market-to-market, Amendolara/Felger/Gresh poseur. There must be plenty of New Englanders who could combine football knowledge in general with Pats knowledge in particular, and express that knowledge in a very readable or listenable manner, that we are not forced to tolerate those who could not care less whether we win or lose (and would probably rather the latter).

Gresh is very different now than he was on the SCORE. Whatever happened to Cordishe anyway? Just remember he had a slight episode in a "no parking zone." Haven't heard of him since,.

Have heard him on Sunday mornings on a WEEI regional show in RI.. the rest of the time he is chasing prostitutes in Providence.

Have heard him on Sunday mornings on a WEEI regional show in RI.. the rest of the time he is chasing prostitutes in Providence.
He wasn't alone in the car while "in the zone" if you get my drift...

I can dig the counter-point, but whatever Gresh knows about football does not outweigh his complete unlistenability & unlikability.

gresh sucks.
pete the meat allday over gresh.
ordway over gresh for that matter

But the problem is he is going up against people who kn ow very little about football and are completely unlistenable and unlikable.

And I'd rather not have my Pats info disseminated by some mercenary, market-to-market, Amendolara/Felger/Gresh poseur. There must be plenty of New Englanders who could combine football knowledge in general with Pats knowledge in particular, and express that knowledge in a very readable or listenable manner, that we are not forced to tolerate those who could not care less whether we win or lose (and would probably rather the latter).

Mike Adams is a homegrown talent and he probably doesn't even know how many points you get for a field goal. Dennis and Callahan are homegrown talents and they don't even hide their anti-Belichick agenda and show very little football knowledge beyond the very superficial even with Callahan covering the Pats for a number of years. Mutt and Merloni are homegrown and they can't talk football either.

I have no problems with mercenaries as long as they talk good football. DA did a very good job hiding his Giants bias and talking good football. Gresh hides his Steelers bias and talks good football despite his huge flaws as a host. Felger can talk good football too and trashes his Packers more than he ever trashes the Pats.

DarrylS said:
Still have difficulty reconciling that Gresch got as far as he did.. convinced more and more over time that it is not about what they say or what they know, but how they are marketed and promoted by their agents.

His wikipedia page contains all you need to know about how Gresh got shoved down patsfans throats.

Gresh grew up in Brownsville, Pennsylvania and went on to receive a degree in journalism from the University of Rhode Island in 1997.[1] He also played football in college as an offensive lineman for the Rhode Island Rams.

While in college, Gresh interned for various sports radio stations including WFAN in New York City and ESPN Radio in Bristol. In 1997, he left ESPN Radio for WPRO in Providence to become an on-air personality for their morning sports show The Score. Upon gaining experience at WPRO, both WFAN and ESPN Radio rehired him.

Gresh worked at ESPN Radio in 2007 and 2008 and was the host of The Andy Gresh Show, which aired exclusively on the weekend. He has also worked in announcing as a color commentator for the ECAC Football Network on NESN and for Colonial Athletic Association games on Comcast SportsNet New England.

Growing up, Gresh's father worked as a coalminer.[2] At one time Gresh was married to the daughter of an ESPN executive and owner of ESPNZone restaurants.

It's seldom what you know, it's who you know. Especially in this media market.

Andy Gresh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back