PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glazer: Pats Interested in Trading For “Premium” WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
This move, if it happens, it's clearly with the future in mind first and foremost

Iirc, only Edelman is signed for next year. Brady needs time to develop some chemestry and the player will take some time to learn the playbook too, a commodity that is not on our side, considering our QB's age... BB might think that gambling on a draft pick is not worth it anymore, at least on a high pick

As others have said, interest in a WR makes more sense if they're looking at 2019 and beyond. If they're looking to trade for a 31 year old WR that's a FA when the year ends, I'm with you, other needs should be addressed.

It's a needs + cost v. rewards issue, though. Premium WR for premium pick(s) doesn't fit that bill when you have real needs at other positions, and a budget that's only going to have so much play from now until the end of the year. If the rumor was that they'll be looking to get the premium WR in the offseason, that would make much more sense.

I guess I already knew this but boy do they not give a flying crap about defense.
Let's hire Tom Bass as our DC down the stretch.

Or, hire me to masquerade as him, I've gained a lot of weight the last few years.

It's a needs + cost v. rewards issue, though. Premium WR for premium pick(s) doesn't fit that bill when you have real needs at other positions, and a budget that's only going to have so much play from now until the end of the year. If the rumor was that they'll be looking to get the premium WR in the offseason, that would make much more sense.

But if the expectation is that the guys they would consider targeting will be traded before the deadline, they won't be there to go after in the offseason.

I'm not in the "let's go get a premium WR" camp, and I don't even think it's likely. But I also wouldn't be shocked either.

“The most interesting name that Glazer said has garnered interest is New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Beckham just signed a massive contract with the Giants, which means New York would take on $40 million in dead cap by trading him. So, a team would have to pay up significantly to acquire him. But it might be worth it. Most of Beckham’s guarantees in his contract are tied to that $40 million signing bonus. Most other guarantees are tied to future events like roster and workout bonuses. Beckham’s contract would be roughly $78 million over the next 5 1/2 years. That’s a bargain for an elite weapon. The Patriots have bigger needs on defense, but they know where their bread is buttered. Bringing in some reserves, or an elite weapon, might not be a bad idea.”

Read more at Why Patriots’ Reported Interest In Trading For Receiver Makes Some Sense

They certainly have other more pressing needs but premium pick for premium WR is better than premium pick for middling defense. We just don't know what's available.

But if the expectation is that the guys they would consider targeting will be traded before the deadline, they won't be there to go after in the offseason.

I'm not in the "let's go get a premium WR" camp, and I don't even think it's likely. But I also wouldn't be shocked either.

There are always players available in the offseason.

Demaryius Thomas is on the wrong side of 30 and has declined over the last few years. I’d give nothing more then a 3rd for him.

A 3rd? Maybe a 5th, if the Pats hadn't already spent it on Gordon.

I guess we arent anticipating Hogan coming back (on something we see as affordable), and want more security than we have with Gordon and the aura around him?

That and Jules being 33, Gronks chronic issues, and you’re left with Dorsett. I get it.

Demaryius Thomas and Roby or Harris for a 2nd and 5th? I would make that trade!

This move, if it happens, it's clearly with the future in mind first and foremost

Iirc, only Edelman is signed for next year. Brady needs time to develop some chemestry and the player will take some time to learn the playbook too, a commodity that is not on our side, considering our QB's age... BB might think that gambling on a draft pick is not worth it anymore, at least on a high pick

They also control Gordon-RFA (+ kids on IR) but for several reasons he is not a certainty.
1st round tender might not be enough if Brady-to-Flash progresses to Moss territory and the league believes Foxboro rehab is completed (remember Floyd is still in the league w/o substance issues) the Flash market might get crazy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News