PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Brady Whatever He Wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldnt bother giving him anything if they're just going to surround him with scrubs and a patchwork Oline.
So you think that’s belichicks plan? He was really happy this year especially with the ol and wrs so he won’t see any need to improve?

Don't need to see one of my "idols" over the last 20 years getting obliterated by defensive lineman and struggle to produce on offense in his final years. That would be a crappy way to go out, thats why if Im Brady and the Pats don't make some sort of commitment to fixing the offensive problems, there is absolutely no way I come back for another year
You act as if the team wants to lose and Brady needs to convince them to want to be good.

There is also no point in paying Brady $25+ million a year if they wont sure up the offense. You could get a rookie to come in and put up 13 points in the wild card round with a bunch of scrubs.
Again you are making the ignorant assumption that there is a disagreement between the player and the winningest franchise ever that the player really wants to win and the greatest franchise ever either doesn’t care to or know how to.
Your argument is that Brady will have a better chance to win with a poor franchise that he one he won more with than anyone ever has.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, just frustrating to think they could have had a few solid FA WRs last year but they cheaped out over a relatively small amount of money with guys like Humphries, then they blow $9+ mill cap room on AB and are paying guys like Sanu $6.5m to be below average (granted Sanu could turn things around with a full offseason and training camp), with a 2nd rounder to boot... ouch.
If decisions not working out making one position group week is your standard of unacceptability Brady would have retired years ago, but out of curiosity which team out there has shown you they would do a better job of building a winner than this one?

If decisions not working out making one position group week is your standard of unacceptability Brady would have retired years ago, but out of curiosity which team out there has shown you they would do a better job of building a winner than this one?

Obviously Belichick and the team aren't intentionally trying to screw the roster and put scrubs out there on offense... but that is what they had when the games mattered most, scrubs. Edelman is the obvious exception being the legendary, grizzled vet fighting thru serious injury and trying to carry the rest of the nobodies on offense.

I said it was frustrating with hindsight being 20/20, and I never once said another team does a better job of building a winner. What makes it sting so much is that they'll either be losing key contributors to free agency or eating most of their cap to sign them long term just to keep the roster mostly together. The 2019 season may have been the best window remaining for Brady on the Pats, but we'll have to wait until training camp to get an idea of the talent level after drafting and FA. That is where most of my frustration is, the fact that they won't really have any cap room to significantly improve the offensive side of the ball without hitting home runs in the draft, which statistically has not been a strong suit for this organization at certain positions.

With all of our impending free agents, we won't even have enough cap room to resign them all. Even if we got 100% of our roster back next year, it would need serious improvements on offense to stand a chance and they would have no real cap room to do that.

They need a near perfect draft to give Brady a legit shot next year at another ring, but if he doesn't have confidence they'll do that then he may just decide to go lace them up somewhere that has a solid offensive foundation that is just missing an elite QB.

This isn't about the long game anymore, the clock is rapidly ticking down on Brady's chances for another SB, so while BB and the Pats may be better at building a sustained winner over 20 years, there may be a few teams that managed to put a better roster together for a short window to maximize Brady's chances in 2020. I mean look at the Rams last year, that team was so loaded and would have been any QBs dream to land into that roll. I knew and everyone else knew they wouldn't be able to keep that together, they were able to put together that superstar "dream team" roster for 1-2 seasons, then they fall apart and collapse.. Brady doesn't really care about 3+ years from now in terms of roster and front office level success over the long term, he needs it NOW.

Pointing to the fact that he's 43, as if he's just like any other QB in history, is stupid. He's clearly proven to be an anomaly and his age isn't entirely relevant. He's still a top 10 QB in the league. The odds of them finding a superior starter for the next 2 years are slim.
Yes, he's clearly a cyborg, and no other human can ever compare to his physical abilities and age does not apply to him. Of course, his arm almost fell off this year, and I'm sure THAT will get better with age.

I wonder how many of us fans and even Bob Kraft for that matter we’re willing to go with TB over Drew in 2001.

...or how many of us knew how great Tom was going to be.

Which is why in BB I trust. Eternally.

Back then, without social media, it seemed like it was about 50/50. My brother and I were in the Brady camp while others were understandably in the Bledsoe camp.

But to your point I agree that BB will do what's best for the team.

No chance Brady stays. I want the best for brady and I'm sure he does too. It's best they part ways.

How can he have any faith in management with regards to talent acquisition when their genius scouts spend a first on stiff and slow harry and stone hands (oops that pass hit me in both hands, my bad!) Slow as molasses sanu.

Other teams grab exciting quick guys in later rounds. Too many to mention.

Pats will sign more stiffs like laglass and then screw the draft up again.

Brady has no time to waste with this nonsense. Time is running out.

How thrilled would you be if he won another SB maybe for the bucs? That would put to rest all the "brady is a system qb" spygate nonsense. New team. 43 years old. Super bowl. Sign me up, i'm excited. Last thing i want to see is brady beating his head against a wall for another season with this team.

Last thing i want to see is brady beating his head against a wall for another season with this team.

This is what made me so sad this year, just the look on Brady's face in post game press conferences even after a victory, like they just got away with one.

It looked like he wasn't having as much fun as he usually does, and sure I could definitely be reading way too much into that, but I just got the sense that he was really frustrated all the time because he was smart enough to realize that they didn't have the talent necessary on offense to really compete against top teams.

Its not all on BB, some of it was just bad luck with injuries and stuff, but it was tough watching Brady struggle the entire 2nd half of the season just to try and get a first down, or have another WR drop a perfect pass, or run the wrong route, or fail to consistently get open, or fail to establish a consistent running game, or reliably protect their 42 year old QB, etc, etc

Brady deserves better than that

Last edited:
No chance Brady stays. I want the best for brady and I'm sure he does too. It's best they part ways.

How can he have any faith in management with regards to talent acquisition when their genius scouts spend a first on stiff and slow harry and stone hands (oops that pass hit me in both hands, my bad!) Slow as molasses sanu.

Other teams grab exciting quick guys in later rounds. Too many to mention.

Pats will sign more stiffs like laglass and then screw the draft up again.

Brady has no time to waste with this nonsense. Time is running out.

How thrilled would you be if he won another SB maybe for the bucs? That would put to rest all the "brady is a system qb" spygate nonsense. New team. 43 years old. Super bowl. Sign me up, i'm excited. Last thing i want to see is brady beating his head against a wall for another season with this team.

pansy-flowers-shallow-depth-field-260nw-26271340.jpg

Apparently OJ took a stab at this debate in an Instagram post. Cutting straight to the point, OJ says Tom will definitely return to the Patriots.

So he won’t retire and will return? Killed two birds with one stone (or knife).

Obviously Belichick and the team aren't intentionally trying to screw the roster and put scrubs out there on offense... but that is what they had when the games mattered most, scrubs. Edelman is the obvious exception being the legendary, grizzled vet fighting thru serious injury and trying to carry the rest of the nobodies on offense.
So you must think other teams are perfect?
Our of 32 teams where would you place the current Patriots staff at, identifying, understanding and correcting weaknesses year to year in order to build a winner.
Anything less than #1 unquestionably would be a disingenuous answer.

I said it was frustrating with hindsight being 20/20, and I never once said another team does a better job of building a winner.
you cited the as a reason for Brady leaving

What makes it sting so much is that they'll either be losing key contributors to free agency or eating most of their cap to sign them long term just to keep the roster mostly together.
this has happened every year since 2000. Cap wise they are in far better again than most years

The 2019 season may have been the best window remaining for Brady on the Pats, but we'll have to wait until training camp to get an idea of the talent level after drafting and FA. That is where most of my frustration is, the fact that they won't really have any cap room to significantly improve the offensive side of the ball without hitting home runs in the draft, which statistically has not been a strong suit for this organization at certain positions.
After resigning Brady and cutting useless sanu they will have close to 40 million

With all of our impending free agents, we won't even have enough cap room to resign them all. Even if we got 100% of our roster back next year, it would need serious improvements on offense to stand a chance and they would have no real cap room to do that.
We don’t have that many free agents. All won’t be back, just as happens every year.
I’m sure you were beside yourself last year that we couldn’t keep flowers and the defense improved.

They need a near perfect draft to give Brady a legit shot next year at another ring, but if he doesn't have confidence they'll do that then he may just decide to go lace them up somewhere that has a solid offensive foundation that is just missing an elite QB.
What team could he go to and have a better chance to win? How many teams have gone to 4 sbs won 3 of them in the last 5 years and just went 12-5 with 4 of he losses being within 1 possession?

This isn't about the long game anymore, the clock is rapidly ticking down on Brady's chances for another SB, so while BB and the Pats may be better at building a sustained winner over 20 years, there may be a few teams that managed to put a better roster together for a short window to maximize Brady's chances in 2020. I mean look at the Rams last year, that team was so loaded and would have been any QBs dream to land into that roll. I knew and everyone else knew they wouldn't be able to keep that together, they were able to put together that superstar "dream team" roster for 1-2 seasons, then they fall apart and collapse.. Brady doesn't really care about 3+ years from now in terms of roster and front office level success over the long term, he needs it NOW.
If you want to think leaving the Patriots is the best way to win, I will just laugh at you and move on

So you must think other teams are perfect?
Yes, that is exactly what I was expressing in my post, that other teams are perfect.

Our of 32 teams where would you place the current Patriots staff at, identifying, understanding and correcting weaknesses year to year in order to build a winner.
Anything less than #1 unquestionably would be a disingenuous answer.

Yea I'd say #1, but being able to identify and understand weaknesses is one thing, you still need cap room to correct them in any meaningful way given the number of holes they currently have and key free agents they will likely lose to teams with $100m+ to spend (including the Bills, who I'm sure would love to improve their roster while at the same time hurting the Pats. As would the colts.)

We don’t have that many free agents. All won’t be back, just as happens every year.
Yea but they have 3 team captains hitting FA this year who are tops at their position. Slater will be affordable, but DMac and Brady will be extremely expensive.

this is the list of their FAs;

Tom Brady (C)
Devin McCourty (C)
Kyle Van Noy
Matthew Slater (C)
Phillip Dorsett
Nate Ebner
Jamie Collins
Danny Shelton
Nick Folk
Marshall Newhouse
Justin Bethel
Joe Thuney
Benjamin Watson
Shilique Calhoun
James Ferentz
Jermaine Eluemunor
Ted Karras
Elandon Roberts
Adam Butler
Keionta Davis

these are the ones that really matter

Tom Brady - Huge % of cap consumed if resigned. Offense will be embarassment without him.
Devin McCourty - Secondary would take HUGE hit if he was gone. Will make $10m+
Kyle Van Noy - Likely gone, will get $10m+, but im more confident they can replace LBs
Matthew Slater - Will be back at around $3m+
Jamie Collins - will be gone, someone will overpay him again. If LBs lose Van Noy and Collins, ouch.
Danny Shelton - May be expensive to keep, Dline would suffer a lot losing him
Joe Thuney - Will cost a fortune to keep. I think they try to replace him in draft due to cap restrictions
Ted Karras - solid season after getting a chance.. hes a backup on our team, but someone might pay him
Adam Butler - young and talented, will cost some coin to keep.

I would argue if they lost DMac, Van Noy, Collins, Shelton and Butler this would be a completely different defense and not for the better. They'll probably keep 1 of either Shelton or Butler, maybe DMac if he wants to play with his brother and not break the bank, but the rest are probably gone.

I’m sure you were beside yourself last year that we couldn’t keep flowers and the defense improved.
I wasn't thrilled about losing Flowers, but they made a bunch of other moves that mitigated it a bit... but yes, i thought losing Flowers would have hurt them a lot more than it did.. but a guy like Flowers could have potentially made that 1 or 2 big plays you needed in Titans game

Flowers was really the only significant loss, that is a lot easier to overcome when the rest of the defense is solid. This year they already have a bunch of holes and could potentially have 3-4 "Trey Flower" type players leave.. maybe not quite at his level, but impactful players

What team could he go to and have a better chance to win? How many teams have gone to 4 sbs won 3 of them in the last 5 years and just went 12-5 with 4 of he losses being within 1 possession?

Not sure, depends on what happens with the FA shuffle about to take place. Also, their history at this point is irrelevant. The Patriots are amazing at sustaining a success, but they do experience dips after recovering from multiple SB runs and losing lots of players. I also don't believe the Pats were as good as their record this year, and they were better than their record in 2018. Some teams that have decent situations, at least in terms of roster talent, are:

1. Cowboys - (pending what happens with Dak)
2. Colts - (have a solid D, great running game, one of the best offensive lines, OK WR core but also $100m+ in cap room to improve roster.
3. Chargers - Solid offensive line i believe, amazing RBs (altho M Gordon is likely gone), a great young TE, amazing wide receivers and a defense that could really get after the QB if they played with a lead. (Bosa and Ingram)

I'm not considering coaching or anything like that, just roster talent.

We're really lucky the Bills drafted a solid young QB, cause otherwise they would have to be fighting off all of the FA QBs trying to bust down the front doors of their stadium. They were in the playoffs this year and a really solid team that now has like $100m in cap space to improve

If you want to think leaving the Patriots is the best way to win, I will just laugh at you and move on

and here i thought we were having a civil discussion. If they don't seriously retool the offensive side of the ball then the Pats are definitely not his best chance to win next year. He would be wise to just retire if they decided to trot out that cast of scrubs again around the greatest QB to ever lace them up

Last edited:
The funniest thing in the world, and unfortunately I and many others will have to either leave this forum or continue to read the BS, is that some people think Brady walks away and BB will magically produce another championship team. He should fire himself if he doesn't resign Brady. 25mil and push the cap hit. These threads are beyond stupid. Close means nothing and you are all about to find out what it means to coach well but are unable to close the deal when it matters. At least with Brady you have an outside chance. Why the hell would you people crunching numbers want to send him away. He won't be asking for the world.

The funniest thing in the world, and unfortunately I and many others will have to either leave this forum or continue to read the BS, is that some people think Brady walks away and BB will magically produce another championship team. He should fire himself if he doesn't resign Brady. 25mil and push the cap hit. These threads are beyond stupid. Close means nothing and you are all about to find out what it means to coach well but are unable to close the deal when it matters. At least with Brady you have an outside chance. Why the hell would you people crunching numbers want to send him away. He won't be asking for the world.

They want him gone because he is old. I am older than him. I don't consider myself old. But apparently, our old QB is ancient and useless. The elderly don't have much value in this society.

They want him gone because he is old. I am older than him. I don't consider myself old. But apparently, our old QB is ancient and useless. The elderly don't have much value in this society.
Generally speaking, the elderly don't have much value playing in the NFL.

I don't think it will need to go to 25m to sign him. I think he won't take a home team discount means he won't take 15m or something like that. I think brady signs for low 20s if there is some sort of assurance that the Pats will address the offensive shortcomings in terms of talent. And that does not mean signing 5 versions of Demaryius Thomas and hoping one still has something left.
Who knows. Open market dynamics changes everything

This is what I hope it will be and I am going as high as 35M a year.

Not really worried about it because what other NFL team would offer Brady a 3 year/90M deal? Even the Chargers, Bucs, Titans, and Colts all have cheaper alternatives in-house and qb's who will probably be more productive than Brady in 3 seasons.
We don't know what other teams are preparing. All we can do is project what the Pats can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe