PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Brady Whatever He Wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone here has read it, but Jeff Howe at the athletic opined a 3 year $84MM deal that (to make a long story short) gives Brady major Guaranteed money. The key thing for me is that the 3rd year is a cap scam. Bottom line we could have Brady for 2 years with a cap hit of $22MM. After if he;s released we would wind up with $7MM in dead money. If he wants to stay, for his 45th year we'd need to extend him

Bottom line is that Brady could stay here for a very fair contract (40MM guaranteed), at a cap number that won't kill us. If brady stay the realization is that we care going to wind up with a cap hit the year after he's done here. BUT whether its Stidham or someone else who comes it, it will be on a rookie contract, so the damage will be mitigated

Howe also makes a lot of other thoughts on our own FA group and who we should target in FA. I didn't agree with some of his opinions, but he has a lot of interesting ideas that are worth discussion

I don't know if anyone here has read it, but Jeff Howe at the athletic opined a 3 year $84MM deal that (to make a long story short) gives Brady major Guaranteed money. The key thing for me is that the 3rd year is a cap scam. Bottom line we could have Brady for 2 years with a cap hit of $22MM. After if he;s released we would wind up with $7MM in dead money. If he wants to stay, for his 45th year we'd need to extend him

Bottom line is that Brady could stay here for a very fair contract (40MM guaranteed), at a cap number that won't kill us. If brady stay the realization is that we care going to wind up with a cap hit the year after he's done here. BUT whether its Stidham or someone else who comes it, it will be on a rookie contract, so the damage will be mitigated

Howe also makes a lot of other thoughts on our own FA group and who we should target in FA. I didn't agree with some of his opinions, but he has a lot of interesting ideas that are worth discussion

The issue is not whether we can handle a very fair contract, but rather a market contract. We can. Folks are all excited about a cap hit in 2022 and 2023 when our Qb will b e own his rookie contract. I have so such concern.

1. If everything is equal, they are always better with Brady.

2. If they marginally retool the offense, Brady with a bad offense is probably equal or better.

3. If they load the offense, it 100% depends on the QB. If you really can't find an average QB, then it doesn't matter how good the offense is. If you can find above mid range, yeah you have a shot, but the QB still might lose you an important game or not get you over the hump (again see a Dalton or Romo type, hell even Rivers.

When your best case scenario without Brady could still be bad because QB is such a major variable, you have to consider where you want to place your bets. Do you want to place your bets that we can be a little healthier next year and find a piece in the draft or free agency that will contribute with Sanu learns the system and Harry develops? Or do you want to bet that we can find someone at the position the whole league struggles to find someone in.

With Brady returning, maybe there is only a 20-30% chance of Pats being relevant for one or more seasons. With him not returning there is 0% chance that they will be relevant over next 2 years.

This is now the league of Patrick Mahomes. That guy and any JAGS around him will probably dominate the league for the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
With Brady returning, maybe there is only a 10% chance of Pats being relevant for one or more seasons. With him not returning there is 0% chance that they will be relevant over next 2 years. Maybe people forget what it was like to root for the Drew Bledsoe led teams. You always knew deep down that they could not really compete for a championship, because of his inconsistency and high rate of turnovers.

This is now the league of Patrick Mahomes. That guy and any JAGS around him will probably dominate the league for the next 10 years or so. If Jarret Stidham is the man, prepare for dealing with mediocrity at best and years of irrelevance.
I agree. I think more than 10% for next year though simply because our defense is built to take them on. The year after though Gilmore becomes more and more costly, JC Jackson will need a new deal and he just signed a new high powered agent, Dmac will be done etc. We have another 1 year to do it imo. We shouldn't waste it with someone like Andy Dalton or a rookie QB!

Maybe people forget what it was like to root for the Drew Bledsoe led teams. You always knew deep down that they could not really compete for a championship, because of his inconsistency and high rate of turnovers.
We were never going anywhere until he was gone. He has a lot more in common with Tony Eason than just #11.
With him not returning there is 0% chance that they will be relevant over next 2 years.
We are a good team. We have a top coaching staff, and maybe the best head coach ever. We can win, and beat anybody with a decent quarterback. But as long as he plays, I do not want any other quarterback than Tom Brady. He gives whoever he plays for the best chance to win.
This is now the league of Patrick Mahomes.
Meh. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing