PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From PFT: Raiders in pursuit of McNabb

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Report: Raiders in hottest pursuit of McNabb | ProFootballTalk.com

Mcnabb is not a QB that can win you a superbowl, but if this happens it is awful new for the Patriots. We all know the Raiders are a mess of a franchise but they do have talent, and Mcnabb could lead that team to around a 7-9 to a 10-6 season, if that draft pick is over 10, then that Seymour deal is not looking so good.

Report: Raiders in hottest pursuit of McNabb | ProFootballTalk.com

Mcnabb is not a QB that can win you a superbowl, but if this happens it is awful new for the Patriots. We all know the Raiders are a mess of a franchise but they do have talent, and Mcnabb could lead that team to around a 7-9 to a 10-6 season, if that draft pick is over 10, then that Seymour deal is not looking so good.

This is AWFUL news. Do people realize Russell is the only thing holding the raiders back? McNabb is a top 10 qb...

Mcnabb+a top O-Line prospect, this team could win the division at 12-4, I'm not joking.

That defense and running game is great. Russell was so bad and turned it over so much it made that team horrible. Hell, with Gradkowski, they looked like a 9-7 squad.

This better NOT happen.

Agree with both of you, this would really suck for us

Didn't McNabb just say Oakland was one of the teams he didn't want to be traded to? He's in the last year of his contract, so if he doesn't sign an extension it becomes a one-year rental for the Raiders unless they franchise him. McNabb to Oakland doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

This is AWFUL news. Do people realize Russell is the only thing holding the raiders back? McNabb is a top 10 qb...

Mcnabb+a top O-Line prospect, this team could win the division at 12-4, I'm not joking.

That defense and running game is great. Russell was so bad and turned it over so much it made that team horrible. Hell, with Gradkowski, they looked like a 9-7 squad.

This better NOT happen.

I agree that this would be bad for the Pats but 12-4? You may not be joking but that is still funny. No way.

with Gradkowski, they looked like a 9-7 squad.
Impressive, since in another thread, it was established that the Pats are an 8-8 team with
Brady.

Maybe we should trade Brady for Gradkowski straight up :rolleyes:

Russel is the only thing holding the Raidesr back?

They have a terrible offensive line. Terrible receivers. Terrible linebackers. Pretty much the only good players they have are Asomugah and Seymour.

Oakland is nowhere near contending, which is why McNabb would be a horrible pick for them (hes only got a couple years left)... which is probably exactly why it will happen.

Last edited:
I agree that this would be bad for the Pats but 12-4? You may not be joking but that is still funny. No way.

I wouldn't want to predict a record until I saw how McNabb was integrating, but the Raiders have a workable schedule this year:

Broncos/Chargers/Chiefs *2
Colts
Texans
Rams
LOLphins
Seahawks
Steelers
Titans
Jaguars
Cardinals
49ers

Didn't McNabb just say Oakland was one of the teams he didn't want to be traded to? He's in the last year of his contract, so if he doesn't sign an extension it becomes a one-year rental for the Raiders unless they franchise him. McNabb to Oakland doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Also Al is reportedly still clinging to the JaMarcus Russell bandwaggon so this really doesn't make nearly as much sense as the Eagles leaking a lot of interest to try and drive the price up for the likliest landing spot which is Arizona. Wisenhut can't stand Leinart and I don't think he has any intention of starting the season with him as his #1 on the heels of his own new extension. They had no issue paying Warner 2/$25M to get just another season out of him. The Viqueens would be another ideal landing spot if they weren't stuck in a holding pattern over Kiln, Mississippi...

This would be bad news for us, but not disastrous by any means. For one, as someone mentioned above, even with McNabb there's no guarantee this team makes a leap to a playoff team. The chargers are still good, the Broncos could improve and are decent, and that's just in their division.

Second, contrary to what some may consider Maroney and Watson, they have both been positive contributors for this team over the last few years. And they represent the WORST of our first round picks from a results standpoint. Odds are, no matter where our two firsts are, we're going to get a couple of good players out of them.

12-4 is a stretch but I definitely agree with his assesment of that team (Good D, Good running game, average oline, and a piss poor passing game. Not to mention the Division is in flux. Chiefs seem to be improving while the Chargers seem to be going the other way and the Broncos are in the middle just average. So with a bonified QB I could easily see the Raiders winning that Division.

This would be bad news for us, but not disastrous by any means. For one, as someone mentioned above, even with McNabb there's no guarantee this team makes a leap to a playoff team. The chargers are still good, the Broncos could improve and are decent, and that's just in their division.

Second, contrary to what some may consider Maroney and Watson, they have both been positive contributors for this team over the last few years. And they represent the WORST of our first round picks from a results standpoint. Odds are, no matter where our two firsts are, we're going to get a couple of good players out of them.

When we started the first RD with a top ten pick we came out with Big Sey and Mayo....You don't just find talent like that as easy anywhere else in the draft and if this year is as deep as they say being top ten next year will be even more important because it likely means next year is not deep.

This would suck, and it wouldn't surprise me if Crazy Al is trying to add on 4 or so wins just to get back at us for Moss again.

When we started the first RD with a top ten pick we came out with Big Sey and Mayo....You don't just find talent like that as easy anywhere else in the draft and if this year is as deep as they say being top ten next year will be even more important because it likely means next year is not deep.

Oh, hey, no doubt a top ten would be a lot better. But we also got pro-bowlers (or pro-bowl caliber) players like Wilfork, Warren, Meriweather, and Mankins with our late 1st rounders. And I believe all drafts are at least 32 players deep, even in the worst years, so there will be top level talent to be found in the 1st if you scout well. And again, when your "failures" are a 4.0 ypc average RB and a TE starter for five years (four? can't remember), you know how to scout the top of the draft.

Broncos/Chargers/Chiefs *2 - 4 LOSSES/6
Colts - LOSS
Texans - LOSS
Rams
LOLphins - LOSS
Seahawks
Steelers - LOSS
Titans - LOSS
Jaguars - LOSS
Cardinals
49ers

Predictions are always tough but I count 10 probable losses even with McNabb, at least 7 of which are very likely. 9-7 seems to be the best case scenario, IMO.

they have a poor head coach though, nothing at wideout apart from murphy and a loser mentality.

Plus if it is the case that the next years draft is that top heavy, even if the raiders pick is more mid round than we previously thought if we package a second with either that or our pick we will be able to get up to the higher picks.

Oh, hey, no doubt a top ten would be a lot better. But we also got pro-bowlers (or pro-bowl caliber) players like Wilfork, Warren, Meriweather, and Mankins with our late 1st rounders. And I believe all drafts are at least 32 players deep, even in the worst years, so there will be top level talent to be found in the 1st if you scout well. And again, when your "failures" are a 4.0 ypc average RB and a TE starter for five years (four? can't remember), you know how to scout the top of the draft.

using hindsight sure I would agree any draft is 32 players deep but without the use of hindsight there are plenty of drafts that were not that deep.

2 that come to mind are last year where traded out of the first and the year we drafted Chad Jack again we traded out of the first persumably because we questioned whethet the talent there was truly graded 1st rd or at least 1st rd for our system/needs.

But I agree with your assesment that this team has done real well in the first and evidence of this is that Maroney and Watson are considered our fisrt rd busts when busts are really guys like Leaf and Eugene Chung. And I think regardless of where the Raiders wind up we will be getting a good player. But I will certainly be a little pissed if they get McNabb because I will assume that is a 10 spot slide in the draft could be more or he could just not fit in and maybe they don't slide but I think it would be likely.

Impressive, since in another thread, it was established that the Pats are an 8-8 team with
Brady.

Maybe we should trade Brady for Gradkowski straight up :rolleyes:

But they have a stable full of stud WR's and jesus have you seen their LB corps? Morrison sucks so what kind of a loss would that be if another team signed him. Greg Ellis sucks and they have a top tier DT in Tommy Kelly, after all the generous Al Davis paid him like one so he has to be good. They are loaded!

Stop being a homer!!!

On a serious note, Mcnabb would definitely help that team a bit in the win column. Because they don't exactly play murderer's row (projected at this point) but their schedule isn't full of gimme games either they play AFC South and the NFC West with Miami and Pittsburgh as their at large games. The O-line is average at best, the RB's are ok nothing spetacular, the WR corps sucks Murphy and Schilens have shown potential but they are both young players - 2nd and 3rd year guys going into 2010.

They cut Greg Ellis and could potentially lose Morrison, add in whoever else they will have to throw in the trade (Asomugha)? I don't see how losing three of your top 4 players on Defense to upgrade your QB position correlates to an extra 4-5 wins?

Bottom line QB wasn't there only issue last year.

using hindsight sure I would agree any draft is 32 players deep but without the use of hindsight there are plenty of drafts that were not that deep.

2 that come to mind are last year where traded out of the first and the year we drafted Chad Jack again we traded out of the first persumably because we questioned whethet the talent there was truly graded 1st rd or at least 1st rd for our system/needs.

But I agree with your assesment that this team has done real well in the first and evidence of this is that Maroney and Watson are considered our fisrt rd busts when busts are really guys like Leaf and Eugene Chung. And I think regardless of where the Raiders wind up we will be getting a good player. But I will certainly be a little pissed if they get McNabb because I will assume that is a 10 spot slide in the draft could be more or he could just not fit in and maybe they don't slide but I think it would be likely.

Good point on last year. Though another side to the argument is the 2007 draft, which was considered extremely weak and yet we still nabbed Meriweather at 24. It really all depends on a little luck for who falls where. I think the overall depth of a draft shows more in the 2nd and 3rd round than it does in the 1st (where there's almost always enough talent to have good players available) or the 4th on (which becomes more of a crap shoot the further you go).

This would suck, and it wouldn't surprise me if Crazy Al is trying to add on 4 or so wins just to get back at us for Moss again.

I'm sure that is his top reason for wanting to win 9 games next season. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes