SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Free Agents - Offense Will any but Brady be re-signed?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Jan 12, 2020.

1. supafly

supafly Busy starting a new Brady thread PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,680
    I think he was much better at RT than LT. They might need a longer period for a proper evaluation, but he looked serviceable and should be in the mix at RT.

I agree about Cannon. He has around a 9m dollar cap hit. Unfortunately, 5m is dead cap money. They had better hope that he was injured last season and that Cajuste comes back playing well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. supafly

supafly Busy starting a new Brady thread PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,680
    You might be thinking of Hjate Froholdt, who was drafted as an IOL last spring but was placed on IR. Let’s hope he comes back healthy. They’ll probably still need to grab another pick at some point. Lots of 6th rounders (4) to throw darts at this year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Zuma

Zuma PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,688
    Evan Lazar and a couple other writers I respect had some really positive things to say about his technique at LG..however he did have some lapses. I hope he is healthy in 2020.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,696
    yes at rt the gane cannon got hurt. At lt he was a disaster

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,369
    Reading this thread, there's very little difference in the prescriptions being suggested, despite the labeling of said solutions ranging from "blow it up" to "tweak."

Assuming Brady is back and Thuney is gone, last year's draft is going to play a huge role, positive or negative. If RB and the OL can be solved through that, it leaves draft capital and cap $$ to address the other areas (WR1 and TE1). If not, it's hard to see a high probability solution to this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Tottie

Tottie On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +410
    Not that I personally liked the idea of signing him to big money anyway, but you can forget about AJ Green after what we saw last night. He's going to like his new QB.

• Confused Confused x 1
  7. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,367
    Yup. PFF & Jeff Howe had Karras with clean sheets his last 6 games. I think he’ll get a starting contract somewhere for his pass blocking.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,091
    We have signed backup OL's to "starter" money before (e.g Cannon).

Karras is able to start. Given the health concerns regarding Froholdt and Andrews, I would pay Karras. I would guess that the 2020 cap hit would be about $4M, even if his AAV is $7M or $8M.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Chevrolet

Chevrolet On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +704
    AJ Green is a soon to be 32 yo WR made of glass who is always injured. Why would the Bengals want him back? They also need to rebuild. In terms of being durable and dependable he is completely unreliable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Tottie

Tottie On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +410
    So is it your prediction that he will retire? It's true he hasn't been available the last 2 years and it will be interesting to track what happens with him. Someone may throw ridiculous money at him and in which case you may be right. I hope it's not us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. supafly

Ratings:
    +24,680
    Personally, I’m not only expecting them to retain Karras, I’m actually hoping for it. Losing them both would leave too big of a hole, and I don’t think they’ll be able to retain Thuney.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,388
    If he was just made of glass but not always injured I might consider it but for both to be true, I don't know.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  13. Froob

Froob Independent Investigator & pliable af PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +36,165
    Why didn’t they trade him then?

14. JarOfMayo51

JarOfMayo51 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,723
    Would love Thuney back but just don't realistically see it happening since they're already paying Mason as a top guard

Always a possibility they kick Wynn inside to LG and try to draft or sign a FA LT. I could see them investing a lot in a Tackle, but not a 2nd guard

Dorsett is basically a #4 or #5 WR on this team and doesn't provide much value anymore. I'd rather they develop a young guy to be 4th or 5th on the depth chart. He'll be off his rookie deal and will demand more than the vet minimum, so time to move on cause i wouldn't invest any cap space into him. If we're relying on Dorsett next year then the front office completely blew the off-season.

Karras would be a great depth addition, but with an entire season of production as a starter under his belt, some Center needy team will pay him

The rest are all gone likely, and we won't miss them. They need to start thinking about Cannon's future replacement, he's been frequently injured and his performance is inconsistent

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Chevrolet

Chevrolet On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +704
    I agree. Someone will throw big $ at him. I would be quite surprised if it is the Pats. I would think the Bengals might just decide to let him go, take a comp pick and try to develop a core of younger receivers to go along with Joe Burrows.

16. BUSTAMOVE

BUSTAMOVE Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Since it is probably impossible to sign Thuney with Mason also getting big bucks. Putting that kind of money in two Guards is not cost effective.

If we traded Mason what would be the cap hit and cap ramifications. Do you think there would be a market for him. Would it be worth it at that point to pay Thuney what he wants and then replace Mason. It would cost us more to keep Thuney but I think he is the better player. Plus we would get some draft pick compensation for the trade

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  17. zipster9

zipster9 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +986
    I think Brady is gone.

Their luxury suite has been totally cleaned out...

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55,389

Just remember that the OT position is not getting big money (about $12m in cap charge and about $8.2m in actual money) in 2020. So, if you take that, and add Mason and Andrews in to it, Assuming I read things right, and carried the one, we're looking at about a $24.5m cap charge and $19.1 in actual money for the other 4 starting OL positions.

And next year, rather than this year, is the year where it makes sense to move on from Cannon, in terms of his cap savings. So, from the looks of things, the team could fit a new Thuney deal and an Andrews extension with just the Thuney bump (from $4.5m cap, $3.5 cash). I don't know what the market will lead that bump to be, and I don't know whether the number will be too much for BB. I just see that the guards would be splitting OT money, and the OTs would be getting money more along the lines of guards.

• Useful Useful x 3
  19. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,864
    I really, REALLY want to see Thuney re-signed. They need talent and continuity on the OL. They can't keep playing musical chairs with the OL and expect it to get "figured out" by Scarnecchia by mid-season. It seems that whenever a stud emerges or gets developed he's gone too soon. They could've done something during the season last year to possibly extend Trent Brown but didn't and it cost them this year. The veteran building blocks need to stay put for a change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,101
    There is a big running back coming out of Memphis that we should draft in the sixth round. He is listed at 220 pounds and because he has split carries most of his career, he has plenty of tread left on the tires.

• Useful Useful x 1