PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Targets 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it more likely for Tom when everything he has been saying recently is the opposite?

Gronk is a different ball of wax.
I never believe what players say. Their actions speak louder.

If he wins, he’ll have more Super Bowls than any QB ever. I think Giselle will convince him to retire.

I think Gronk is gone next year whether it’s retirement or via trade (leaning towards retirement more). He looks worn down like Marty’s first year in NE.

If they win the Super Bowl - maybe Gronk will retire. Perhaps Brady, but less likely IMO.

If they win the SB Brady retires. Gronk may retire no matter what. The injuries may have taken their toll and I'm not sure he wants to play through that every year. That said, he's a tough guy so who knows? Maybe BB tries to dal him again.

If he wins, he’ll have more Super Bowls than any QB ever. I think Giselle will convince him to retire.

I think Gronk is gone next year whether it’s retirement or via trade (leaning towards retirement more). He looks worn down like Marty’s first year in NE.
Thats fine but hes done nothing to make you think hes gonna quit after this year.

Gronk still has the 9th most yards and how he is still a tremendous blocker (much better than Allen, IMO, who is held in high regards here)

Are you serious ? Allen has been at least as good a blocker as Gronk (if not slightly better because stronger) even last year when he was 100%. This year it wouldn't even be a contest.

Last edited:

If he wins, he’ll have more Super Bowls than any QB ever. I think Giselle will convince him to retire

What actions ?

You are just speculating about some irrelevant stats and a gut feeling that his wife will tell him to call it quits. What action has he done which puts his resolve to play until 45 into question ?

People keep trying to create those weird happy end narratives where someone steps away because they won a title. Why would he do that if he still feels like he wants to play ?

Are you serious ? Allen has been at least as good a blocker as Gronk (if not slightly better because stronger) even last year when he was 100%. This year it wouldn't even be a contest.

Your anti-Gronk bias is laughable. Of course, I know it’s rooted in your compulsive need to justify your hero’s foolish attempts to trade Gronk last offseason for a draft pick or whatever which would not even come close to the value an injury impaired Gronk is contributing to the Patriots this season.

Yesterday, Gronk played all but one offensive play and he missed that one after taking a leg shot catching a pass down the seam for a sizeable gain on the go ahead drive in the 3rd quarter. Yep, there were 2 holds and a false start. But, the Pats offense played a pretty darn good against a pretty darn good defense (by today’s NFL standards anyway), so I’m thinking Gronk along with all his offensive teammates had a pretty good game. Your hero would not have left him in there for all but one snap if his play didn’t merit it, would he?

Thats fine but hes done nothing to make you think hes gonna quit after this year.

What actions ?

You are just speculating about some irrelevant stats and a gut feeling that his wife will tell him to call it quits. What action has he done which puts his resolve to play until 45 into question ?

People keep trying to create those weird happy end narratives where someone steps away because they won a title. Why would he do that if he still feels like he wants to play ?
It's just a feeling and that's it. His wife has talked about it before and I'm sure she'll be urging him to retire if he wins again.

It's just a feeling and that's it. His wife has talked about it before and I'm sure she'll be urging him to retire if he wins again.
Fair enough.

Gisele has her own hit squad y'know..

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, my man... Because I am serious. Allen certainly shows up a lot more in film blocking, because that all he does... Gronk seldom commits to blocking, it's usually a chip on line or a slow-developing route, but when he does, he can maul over LBs and DBs. You can see how many blocking play we have with him as the lead blocker (Allen isn't as relied for those either, Imho). He does commit a lot of fouls though

I for one am surprised that you are so absolute regarding this, because I am pretty confident as well that Gronk is better than Allen blocking.

Last edited:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, my man... Because I am serious. Allen certainly shows up a lot more in film blocking, because that all he does... Gronk seldom commits to blocking, it's usually a chip on line or a slow-developing route, but when he does, he can maul over LBs and DBs. You can see how many blocking play we have with him as the lead blocker (Allen isn't as relied for those either, Imho). He does commit a lot of fouls though

I for one am surprised that you are so absolute regarding this, because I am pretty confident as well that Gronk is better than Allen blocking.

Allen has been the lead blocker on outside runs, at least as frequently as Gronk, and often nailing 2-3 would-be tacklers in succession.

I've also seen Gronk "chip" a DE by casually hurling him into the adjacent DT, knocking them both down (and then continuing his route for a 1st-down completion).

I think they're both, each in their own way, excellent - and among the top handful of non-OL blockers in the league.

Your anti-Gronk bias is laughable. Of course, I know it’s rooted in your compulsive need to justify your hero’s foolish attempts to trade Gronk last offseason for a draft pick or whatever which would not even come close to the value an injury impaired Gronk is contributing to the Patriots this season.

Yesterday, Gronk played all but one offensive play and he missed that one after taking a leg shot catching a pass down the seam for a sizeable gain on the go ahead drive in the 3rd quarter. Yep, there were 2 holds and a false start. But, the Pats offense played a pretty darn good against a pretty darn good defense (by today’s NFL standards anyway), so I’m thinking Gronk along with all his offensive teammates had a pretty good game. Your hero would not have left him in there for all but one snap if his play didn’t merit it, would he?

I am not anti Gronk at all. If that is what you pick up from me saying that our dedicated blocking TE who is specialized in what he does was at least as good of a blocker as Gronk last year and better at this year when Gronk played injured then I think you should think a bit about your reading comprehension.

I have highlighted over the last couple of years dozens of times how Gronk is one of the biggest chess pieces because he is as accomplished a blocker as a receiver and that is very rare for offensive players in general. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing when he has a pretty bad year where he can't do both at the same level he had been able to in the past.

Stop accusing people of bias when there is really none. If you think Gronk had a good game you should rewatch how he looked just a year ago. This was maybe his worst outing in a regular season game since last year's KC opener if not even worse.

Last edited:

That I can understand and would not argue with.

It is just that you said "his actions" made you think about it being the last year (if we win). Because -- and I am not trying to be confrontational -- I have not seen any action that would point to it. But maybe I just missed it.

I am not saying Allen is substantially better than Gronk at it or that Gronk hasn't been damn good at it so far. My point is that even last year there was not a big gulf between the two when it comes to blocking and playing hurt this year made Gronk take a step back in many aspects.

We’re not getting any big time FA’s from other teams. I want Flowers and Trent Brown. I’d cut Cannon and Allen to free up enough money.

We only save 10m by cutting Gronk. How much did we pay Allen last year to block? I’d pay Gronk his current contract next year if he wants to play. Draft a TE in first or move up in 2nd for one.

Brown should be able to see what playing for Pats has done for him professionally. Won’t be cheap. But, reasonable. Cannon has missed a lot of time. Cut/trade.?Wynn’s health factors in. I have him at RT.

I am not saying Allen is substantially better than Gronk at it or that Gronk hasn't been damn good at it so far. My point is that even last year there was not a big gulf between the two when it comes to blocking and playing hurt this year made Gronk take a step back in many aspects.

That's pretty reasonable.

I thought Gronk did fine in the game, other than a few rough reps. Vikings are a very good front seven, though -- possibly among the three best in league -- so it's only expected that they'd win some snaps, too. I'm not as down on Gronk moving forward, but I can agree he probably didn't play up to his (admittedly astronomical) standards.

I don't really want to replace him in free agency. I think he plays one more year if healthy. My preference for an understudy would be one of the Iowa TEs in the draft, but it's possible they both go in the top 30 - 50 picks.

Sorry for any incoherence; I'm on the road and operating on little sleep.

I'm not as down on Gronk moving forward, but I can agree he probably didn't play up to his (admittedly astronomical) standards.

Thing is -- and I tried to make it clear in my kneejerks comment in the post game thread -- I am not down on Gronk going forward mostly because we really have no idea what is going on. As a snapshot last Sunday was one of his worse games (penalties, blocking issues, no separation or power on routes). But that doesn't mean that he will look like that in 2-3 weeks or in the post season.

Maybe whatever he is going through is something he can get over and he will look great again soon. Maybe it is not. Until we know for certain I will stay optimistic that he will get out of this.

It’s going to be an interesting offseason. Here’s some of my thoughts

Devon McCourty - $13.4m cap hit next year. No way the Pats take that hit. Either a restructure or cut. $3.9m dead cap hit. My feeling is he’ll restructure. No team going to pay him the big $ at his age.

Gronk - $12m cap hit. This is a tough one. Does he retire? Is he traded? Restructured? My feeling is he retires. It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.

D. Allen - $7.4m cap hit. He’s gone.

D. Hightower - $10.3m cap hit. $5m dead cap. Maybe a restructure. They won’t bite the dead cap hit.

M. Cannon - $7.5m cap hit. Possible restructure.

A. Clayborn - $6m cap hit. Restructured or cut

The Draft

Pats need to find their QB of the future in the next few drafts. If they don’t like one this year I can see Bill trading a 1st and 2nd this year trying to build draft capital for next year. If we have multiple 1sts and 2nds in the 2020 draft we could move up to get our QB of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3