PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freaking out over the QB always seems like a loser move.

Packers drafted Rodgers in the first when they still had Farve. Chiefs traded up in the first to snag Mahomes. Bills drafted Allen in the first. Bucs made the biggest free agency QB get this off season. Those were the final four teams
Can we get a Rodgers in the draft? Lol
Mahomes could have been a bust. Big deal the Chiefs traded up for him. Teams trade up for quarterbacks all the time that don’t even make it through their rookie contracts.
The Browns traded up for Manziel IIRC.

More over, drafting a quarterback isn’t the same as chasing a quarterback.

We didn’t chase Tom in the draft, and the Packers made Rodgers waste huge years on the bench. Bret Favre had few early believers. Andrew Luck was called a first ballot Hall of Famer before he threw his first TD pass. ESPN ran segments on Kaepernick being better than Joe Montana.

In 2010-2019, every pathetic football fans base was saying they would take ______ over Tom Brady.

Nobody knows Jack **** about quarterbacks until they do, and by that time, whoever has them, already has them.

Can we get a Rodgers in the draft? Lol
Mahomes could have been a bust. Big deal the Chiefs traded up for him. Teams trade up for quarterbacks all the time that don’t even make it through their rookie contracts.
The Browns traded up for Manziel IIRC.

More over, drafting a quarterback isn’t the same as chasing a quarterback.
Drafting a QB when you have an elite QB like Farve and trading up for a QB when you have Smith is definitley chasing

Draft someone good, this isn't hard.

Parcels had some rules for drafting qb’s that we’re insightful, but not foolproof.

Packers drafted Rodgers in the first when they still had Farve. Chiefs traded up in the first to snag Mahomes. Bills drafted Allen in the first. Bucs made the biggest free agency QB get this off season. Those were the final four teams
True, and 4 of the worst 5 teams this year took their qbs in the 1st round; jets, Texans, falcons, Bengals. with a few of those teams, the qb wasn’t the reason for their recent demise. It’s not always a winning formula.

I too long for the days of Hugh Millen and Tommy Hodson. Game day tickets, cheap parking. No one worrying about playoffs. Local Blackouts. ALF.

It's only a loser move if you give up picks for a guy like Stafford or Ryan.

Ryan is so much better than Stafford.

I remember the **** McPherson and Rod Rust teams. Those teams with Millen/Hodson led to a #1 overall pick and Drew Bledsoe coupled with Parcells arrival. I just can't envision Belichick ever going the tank route. He'll invest at the QB position, and that isn't freaking out, he has to.

We need a veteran starter as a bridge and mentor. And we need to invest draft capital every year until we hit on a pick. This year it could be Mac Jones, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance. I'm assuming Trevor Lawrence at #1 is a given, and that Zach Wilson is in play at #2 overall, then a gap. Patriots can realistically trade up to #8 Carolina for picks 15 and 46. Or they could leapfrog the Vikings and get #13 from the Chargers for 15 and 96. I wouldn't consider it a freak out if they move up in the first round to take a shot. I think that they could draft a QB in the first round this year and next year and repeat until they find a Tier 1 guy.

Tier 1 - High-end QBs who can carry a team
Tier 2 - QBs who can elevate teammates, even with lesser supporting casts
Tier 3 - Volatile or conservative QBs who rely heavily on supporting cast
Tier 4 - Bad QBs with question marks due to lack of experience or mixed results when given extended opportunities

Available QBs: Prescott (if healthy marginal Tier 2, very expensive, risky), Brissett (upside is marginal Tier 3), Trubisky (Tier 4), Taylor (upside is marginal Tier 3, durability concerns), Fitzpatrick (Tier 3, cheap bridge, streaky, less risk), Winston (upside is marginal Tier 3 if he cuts down on turnovers, otherwise he's just bad)

I wouldn't trade for Goff, huge contractual guarantees and a Tier 3 guy at best.
I wouldn't trade for Garroppollo, 2 yrs / 50 million, played 23 games / 3 years. If SF cuts him, then maybe with playing time incentives.
I wouldn't trade for Stafford unless Patricia gives a glowing review. I don't see Stafford as more than a Tier 3 guy, and nearing the end of his career. Can't trade for his 2 yr / 42 million plus a void year. Lions won't cut him. Indy at a minimum seems keen to trade for him.

Then there are the undesirables: Wentz, Bortles, Flacco

I expect a big investment at QB this year and every year. I don't think that is freaking out, just trying to address the top priority until you succeed.

Ryan is so much better than Stafford.

I don't disagree, but in my opinion that just makes giving up a 1 for Stafford that much more egregious. I don't think the difference is as big as people say though. If Stafford didn't play in Detroit, he would get the star treatment Ryan gets, and we might see him in a different light.

I too long for the days of Hugh Millen and Tommy Hodson. Game day tickets, cheap parking. No one worrying about playoffs. Local Blackouts. ALF.
This is the way.

WTF? did OP not watch this season? the team had the worst QB play since the Tommy Hodson/Jeff Carlson era...

If you're going to freak out over a position in professional sports, they most important position in sports would be the one you'd want to "freak out" on. A lot of the reason these teams fail is because they mis-identify the guy for their system, they have a bad coach that doesn't know how to optimize the QB talent, their game doesn't translate to the NFL for whatever reason or the team wastes too much draft capital to get them leaving them short draft picks to surround their new QB with talent.

The Pats are a smart organization (the last three drafts notwithstanding). They need to identify their guy whether he's in this draft or the next and then go and get him without mortaging their future. It's not easy to do but it can be done. IMO, they need to stop taking flyers on guys and draft much much smarter on the offensive side of the ball...but not so smart that they try to be the smartest guys in the room.

Heard something interesting on the radio this morning. BB has been trying to draft the best players for specific roles rather than just the best players. "A DB specifically for covering the TE" for example. "The source" heard that BB is changing that philosophy. We'll see.

True, and 4 of the worst 5 teams this year took their qbs in the 1st round; jets, Texans, falcons, Bengals. with a few of those teams, the qb wasn’t the reason for their recent demise. It’s not always a winning formula.
None of those are the QB's fault imo. Falcons got into a SB because Ryan had an amazing year. Burrow is currently the only good thing about the Bengals and it's too early to judge them because they literally were the worst team the year they drafted him so they improved. Watson is a stud. Really the Jets are the only one you could say over extended and busted on a QB.

Rams just bankrupt their future for Stafford.

We’ve been watching perennial losers panic at the quarterback position forever. Every team that sucks *** tries making the biggest splash they can with QB and it’s revealed to be a complete disaster and waste of time/resources 90% of the time.

Look no further than the Jets. Retrospect can make a decent case that they went into a downward spiral ever since chasing Sanchez out of town (Thanksgiving 2012 soul-killed that organization).

After that, the Jets and every team like that have done nothing but waste their time, draft picks, money, salary cap, and overall investment in busts after busts.

We should just team-build and wait, instead of blending NFL loser-trends with Belichick’s questionable General Manager skills, throwing huge contracts at mediocrity or has-beens, and settle for a cheap game manager until we have a decent roster through and through again.

Maybe Tom will come back in 2024 for one more ring. Doubt anyone else is winning much while he’s in the league anyway. He’s already taken over his Conference, retired Brees and sent Rodgers into a personal collapse.

May as well focus on density for awhile.

Imagine if we didn’t have Bledsoe and Parcels was just drafting quarterbacks every year. The Patriot Dynasty might have been a 2nd rate Steelers reign.
What do parcells and Bledsoe have to do with the dynasty?

Everyone is sweating this QB situation too much. Bill already has his next QB, and, no, it’s not Stidham who leaked information about an injury which just can’t be tolerated. Plus, he was ruined during his final year at Auburn.

I give you the next great Patriots QB: Jacob Dolegala.

Bill doesn’t get all caught up on pedigrees like all of us heathens. Well, other than the pedigrees of his sons and Mike Lombardi’s kid. Now that Matty P. is in the fold to protect the princes from themselves, Bill can use his free time to coach up a QB like he did that ingrate Brady in the early years. Dolegala is just the guy. He will be Bill’s masterpiece. An undrafted kid from Central Connecticut State coached into a championship QB by the greatest coach of all time. It will be classic.

Once Dolegala takes his rightful place with Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes as one of the best young QBs in the league, the world will know it was Bill who made Brady. He’s the one who taught him all the answers to the test.

I’m only half kidding.

People born some time shortly before the Patriots won their 2nd SB under Belichick are legal to have sex with now.

In that time he's done nothing but deliver double digit win seasons, including one with Matt freakin' Cassel at the helm.

Until this one mediocre season with the disruption of covid taking a heavier toll on a gameplan heavy team like the Patriots.

Crazy that this whole time he was just a bumbling clod.

People who were born on the day the Pats won their first Super Bowl will be old enough to legally drink in a year and a week.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back