PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freaking out over the QB always seems like a loser move.

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
We’ve been watching perennial losers panic at the quarterback position forever. Every team that sucks *** tries making the biggest splash they can with QB and it’s revealed to be a complete disaster and waste of time/resources 90% of the time.

Look no further than the Jets. Retrospect can make a decent case that they went into a downward spiral ever since chasing Sanchez out of town (Thanksgiving 2012 soul-killed that organization).

After that, the Jets and every team like that have done nothing but waste their time, draft picks, money, salary cap, and overall investment in busts after busts.

We should just team-build and wait, instead of blending NFL loser-trends with Belichick’s questionable General Manager skills, throwing huge contracts at mediocrity or has-beens, and settle for a cheap game manager until we have a decent roster through and through again.

Maybe Tom will come back in 2024 for one more ring. Doubt anyone else is winning much while he’s in the league anyway. He’s already taken over his Conference, retired Brees and sent Rodgers into a personal collapse.

May as well focus on density for awhile.

Imagine if we didn’t have Bledsoe and Parcels was just drafting quarterbacks every year. The Patriot Dynasty might have been a 2nd rate Steelers reign.

Huh? How many teams get lucky and have a great qb fall into their laps? Should they sell the farm? If that’s what you are saying is bad, I agree. I don’t understand why they can’t have their cake and try to eat it too though. Not sure I fully understand the whole Bills questionable GM skills comment either. Especially when you state that the Pats should just team build and wait. That makes no sense.

People born some time shortly before the Patriots won their 2nd SB under Belichick are legal to have sex with now.

In that time he's done nothing but deliver double digit win seasons, including one with Matt freakin' Cassel at the helm.

Until this one mediocre season with the disruption of covid taking a heavier toll on a gameplan heavy team like the Patriots.

Crazy that this whole time he was just a bumbling clod.

TB12 and this Deepak Chopra stuff looks like its for real.

Brady might play until 50. Gissele is still looking good. AB has a spring in his step from staying at the Bradys.

Packers drafted Rodgers in the first when they still had Farve. Chiefs traded up in the first to snag Mahomes. Bills drafted Allen in the first. Bucs made the biggest free agency QB get this off season. Those were the final four teams

The beauty of all this is that the Jets must be deathly afraid of letting Sam Darnold go only to watch him flourish somewhere else.

Here's a nasty question for you: who would you prefer as your QB? Tua Tag or Tannehill?

If you're going to freak out over a position in professional sports, they most important position in sports would be the one you'd want to "freak out" on. A lot of the reason these teams fail is because they mis-identify the guy for their system, they have a bad coach that doesn't know how to optimize the QB talent, their game doesn't translate to the NFL for whatever reason or the team wastes too much draft capital to get them leaving them short draft picks to surround their new QB with talent.

The Pats are a smart organization (the last three drafts notwithstanding). They need to identify their guy whether he's in this draft or the next and then go and get him without mortaging their future. It's not easy to do but it can be done. IMO, they need to stop taking flyers on guys and draft much much smarter on the offensive side of the ball...but not so smart that they try to be the smartest guys in the room.

You build a team and wait with no QB you're just treading water. Getting desperate and giving up a first for a QB in his mid 30's from another team is a loser move as far as I am concerned but going balls out if there is a guy they love that is young I am all for it. If they are in love with Watson do what it takes to get him. If they love Wilson from BYU do what you have to do to trade up. I would rather have the young guy for the future to build around than be the Colts and have a stacked roster outside of the most important position.

You have nothing and go nowhere in today's league without the QB. Have to fire all our bullets and get THE guys as soon as we can.

It seems that teams freak out but I think fans have too high expectations. There's one Superbowl champion each year. One.

teams freak out over coaches, too....

Rational thinking is that the Jags are going to win a bunch of SB's in a couple of years.......and the argument will be 'Urban or Trevor?'

Maybe Tom will come back in 2024 for one more ring. Doubt anyone else is winning much while he’s in the league anyway. He’s already taken over his Conference, retired Brees and sent Rodgers into a personal collapse.
Tom only signed a 2 year contract with the Bucs.

We should focus on getting some offensive weapons in the draft and then lure him back in 2022.

I joked before that maybe that was the plan all along. Tom gets to take a 2 year vacation in Tampa while the Patriots reload for Brady to take a run at rings 9 and 10 :D

Tom only signed a 2 year contract with the Bucs.

We should focus on getting some offensive weapons in the draft and then lure him back in 2022.

I joked before that maybe that was the plan all along. Tom gets to take a 2 year vacation in Tampa while the Patriots reload for Brady to take a run at rings 9 and 10 :D

Back when things weren't looking as good for Tampa as they are right now, I briefly convinced myself Brady would realize the grass wasn't greener and come back. Turns out the grass is, in fact, greener, at least for the 2020 season. But if Tampa disappoints next year and we have a stronger season (and haven't yet found a franchise QB), it could still happen.

I am starting to think there might be something to the "Tom doesn't like BB anymore" rumors though.

In that time he's done nothing but deliver double digit win seasons, including one with Matt freakin' Cassel at the helm.
The IBWT club loves that 2008 season. 11 wins with Matty C… yay! They were undefeated the season before with the same team and a different quarterback against a harder schedule. The 11 wins in 2008 were NOT anything special. Just as useless 2019.

It says a lot about what beLichick has accomplished without Brady when the first thing mentioned in his defense is a team that didn't even make the playoffs. 8 full seasons and the most impressive accomplishment is not making the postseason.

The IBWT club loves that 2008 season. 11 wins with Matty C… yay! They were undefeated the season before with the same team and a different quarterback against a harder schedule. The 11 wins in 2008 were NOT anything special. Just as useless 2019.

It says a lot about what beLichick has accomplished without Brady when the first thing mentioned in his defense is a team that didn't even make the playoffs. 8 full seasons and the most impressive accomplishment is not making the postseason.

If only we could harness this level of ignorance for space travel or something.

The fact that believing in Bill goddamn Belichick is somehow now being cast as part of a trite little club based on nothing is so ridiculous I'm struggling to put it to words.

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all time and has built winning teams not year in and year out - decade in and decade out.

It's indescribably infantile to, after one mediocre season, ascribe that all of that to one player. Do you even understand how a team sport works?

You have nothing and go nowhere in today's league without the QB. Have to fire all our bullets and get THE guys as soon as we can.
It's why I hate this thinking of "we have other needs we shouldn't get a QB" without a QB doesn't matter how talented your team is. You are the 7-9 bucs without brady

If only we could harness this level of ignorance for space travel or something.

The fact that believing in Bill goddamn Belichick is somehow now being cast as part of a trite little club based on nothing is so ridiculous I'm struggling to put it to words.

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all time and has built winning teams not year in and year out - decade in and decade out.

It's indescribably infantile to, after one mediocre season, ascribe that all of that to one player. Do you even understand how a team sport works?
IBWT is a pretty unsophisticated concept, bro. You have the magic formula for team sports? Not all team sports are created equal. Quarterback is among the most important positions in all of team sports so having the greatest of all-time is going to be a significant advantage for any head coach.

Remove your IBWT blinders for a moment…

Belichick has had 0 losing seasons with Brady in 18 years.
Belichick has had 6 losing seasons without Brady in 8 years.

Brady elevated a team (2001 Patriots) with a 5-13 record to 14-3 and a Super Bowl title.
Brady elevated a team (2020 Bucs) with a 7-9 record to 14-5 with 3 road playoff wins and a Super Bowl birth.
Brady's old team fell from 12-5 to 7-9 with no postseason after having won 16 consecutive division titles with him.

These are just the facts. It's too bad they don't align with your unconditional Belichickian POV.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back