PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those of you that wish to resign (Satire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind criticism about the team. I do mind when that criticism comes from a place of entitlement, as if the Patriots owe the fans some degree of emotional pleasure and when the fan fails to find that, has somehow been wronged by the players and/or coaches.

Everyone is doing the best they can. If they aren't, they won't last long. They system works fine in that regard, over the long run.

1) Per your request I fixed my post
2) A lot of people are demonstrating exceptionally poor sportsmanship
Just seems like it would be better sportsmanship on your part to simply put those posters on "ignore" than call them out in a new thread, too. I mean no disrespect, Sammy.

I understand that sentiment. I'm just leery of becoming a board where we start threads to call out bad behavior and announce to everyone else that someone else has said X, Y and Z. If someone acts that way, the easiest avenue is to simply report it. I know that trolls are inevitable, but at the same time, there's probably a huge number of lurkers who may want to post, but see threads like this and decide against it for fear of having their critical opinion trashed. You know what I mean?
Fair enough.

Believe it or not Goose, back in the day, win or loss, you could have good, intelligent conversations about the team and football in general. Now it's largely fans who meltdown after one incomplete pass and I often think that many enjoy it more when the team loses...

It's not just one loss though is it, it's a problem that's been there all of last year and continues to be a problem.

The defensive personnel just isn't good enough, the state of the defense both in terms of performance for the past year and lack of overall talent is much more concerning than losing a tough game in a hostile environment in week 2.

People have a right to question why a team that couldn't stop a nosebleed for most of last year spent a 1st round pick on a running back who is barely even needed when the defense is in such dire need of playmakers.

I understand that sentiment. I'm just leery of becoming a board where we start threads to call out bad behavior and announce to everyone else that someone else has said X, Y and Z. If someone acts that way, the easiest avenue is to simply report it. I know that trolls are inevitable, but at the same time, there's probably a huge number of lurkers who may want to post, but see threads like this and decide against it for fear of having their critical opinion trashed. You know what I mean?

I'm not talking about trolls, I'm talking about a retinue of posters who are reliably and ecstatically negative in every GDT thread to the point that I feel like we're in a GDT thread with fans of the opposing team.

Calling out spineless fans with no shame, trying to avoid a weeks worth of Chicken Little threads. I think the objective is pretty clear.
What I'd request is to simply ignore those posters who grate you and report behavior you think is unfit for the board, and let us take action. Rounding everybody up to stomp on others just leaves a bad taste.

We've seen this story before. Pats have gone 2-2 in September 3 out of the last 6 years and every one of those years have ended with a 12-4 or better record, including winning the Superbowl against the Seahawks after starting 2-2 that season. They'll figure it out and will start playing better on both sides of the ball. Edelman's return in week five will help the offense immensely. WAY too early to hit the panic button.

I'm not talking about trolls, I'm talking about a retinue of posters who are reliably and ecstatically negative in every GDT thread to the point that I feel like we're in a GDT thread with fans of the opposing team.

Well said!
What I'd request is to simply ignore those posters who grate you and report behavior you think is unfit for the board, and let us take action. Rounding everybody up to stomp on others just leaves a bad taste.

The problem is some of these posters have been banned and are on their 2nd and 3rd accounts and it's been allowed to happen.

I think it's worth discussing how we handle GDTs since that's where a lot of this stems from. I handed out a couple of reply bans tonight, and I think a few others probably could've been handed out, but I'm also trying to watch the game myself (and entertain my 21-month-old with a cough, poor guy's sick.) But I also know that some posters who can be really emotional in the GDT aren't necessarily always that way outside of it, too. I try to be somewhat "hands off" until you really establish a prolonged spree of intentionally toxic posting.

Just seems like it would be better sportsmanship on your part to simply put those posters on "ignore" than call them out in a new thread, too. I mean no disrespect, Sammy.

Agree Ross but these trolls pretending to be fans of this team on the GDT has gotten out of hand

Well said!

The problem is some of these posters have been banned and are on their 2nd and 3rd accounts and it's been allowed to happen.
So, to touch on that second point - this used to be easy to combat. However, due to changes in technology, it's become very hard to fight.

Agree Ross but these trolls pretending to be fans of this team on the GDT has gotten out of hand
It's a tough balance. You want to keep the thread enjoyable, but you also don't want to overdo it and seem like you're censoring out criticism. Personally, I'd invite everyone to send myself or my fellow staff members a PM in situations like this. Starting that conversation is an important first step.

Believe it or not Goose, back in the day, win or loss, you could have good, intelligent conversations about the team and football in general. Now it's largely fans who meltdown after one incomplete pass and I often think that many enjoy it more when the team loses...
It's a GAME THREAD for Christ Sakes!!!!. people are reacting to spontaneous plays, knee jerk reactions.
Why do you guys keep going on the GDT, only to say "I'm never going on the GDT again"? What's up?
If you don't like it stay off, and go on the "snorefest " Rewatch thread. ZZZZZ.
To each his own. If you can't take the heat, stay out of it. Easy.
There are 2 choices.
The GDT is rough. Take it or leave it.

September preseason. Of last year's final four, none of them started the season 2-0. Being 1-1 isn't inherently any cause to panic, and if I was a bettting man I'd still feel like I was getting free money if I got decent odds on this team to finish with 11+ wins.

Having acknowledged that, there's good reason to be concerned by what we saw today. I'm not worried about the offense: we played the best defense in the league without our WR1, only scoring 20 isn't some egregious sin.

What I am a bit worried about is the defense. The gameplan today was clearly to put the ball in Bortles' hands and make him beat us... and he did beat us. Without Fournette. Blake ****ing Bortles and a bunch of JAGs dropped 30 on this defense, and that should absolutely be raising red flags all over the place. There's clearly a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball, because if they can't handle the Jags minus Fournette then they're clearly not ready to square off against a real team. Hopefully they improve rapidly over the next month.

It's a tough balance. You want to keep the thread enjoyable, but you also don't want to overdo it and seem like you're censoring out criticism. Personally, I'd invite everyone to send myself or my fellow staff members a PM in situations like this. Starting that conversation is an important first step.
You are way too professional, rational and mature.

I used to like you too.

:p

These gatekeeping threads that we have every season where posters complain about and trying to dictate how other posters are complaining or criticizing the team are one of the more annoying aspects of this forum. Who cares? Ignore them. It is really as easy as the click of a button.

I think I've reported one person in my tenure here. Maybe two. I think one of them was the only person I can remember having actually ignored.

I hate going the 'cry to the mods' route because that seems to be the go to of the tough-talking-but-can't-take-it-back types and I have zero respect for people who have to filter out opposing opinions or who dare to match the thin-skinned poster's tone.

So this is my preferred route to respond. I'm actually pretty ok with the loss today, so this isn't redirected frustration. It's game 2 and a lot of the posts were just flat out embarrassing. You'd think we were struggling with years of pain with all the negativity and venom directed towards our team and coaches. When the reality is what, we're 2 out of 4 for the last 4 Super Bowls and participated in 3 out of the last 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe