PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FO on the option/veer stuff KC used against NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was and odd version since it had a shovel pass option (kelce) vs a more traditional fb dive, and then your normal qb/rb option behind it. Fairly clever concept but it wasnt what hurt us IMO.

Maddening... I hope our team earns a second chance.

garbage that some game film will solve.....there's always something giving it away......the wildcat went sour almost as early as it appeared

it will be stopped when an NT reads it and lights up Kelce

garbage that some game film will solve.....there's always something giving it away......the wildcat went sour almost as early as it appeared

it will be stopped when an NT reads it and lights up Kelce

Yeah I was half expecting that in this game. Or nailing Smith. Does KC play the Bengals this year? If so that psychopath Burfict won't have any problems dropping Smith.

patfanken mentioned emphatically it in the game thread, and I'll enthusiastically co-sign on it: when opposing offenses run gimmicky ******** that exposes the QB, you have to punish them by absolutely drilling the QB every legal chance you get. The moment Smith gets buried a couple times by 250+ pound linemen, you'll see that whole section of their playbook retired.

I thought this was the lesson that the league took away from RG3 and Tyrod Taylor. The team will stop running the plays they're most effective on so much if there's a credible threat that you'll break them in half. It's even why Carolina is trying to turn Newton into a pocket passer, when he's at his best by far outside the pocket. But sometimes teams try it and get away with it and I don't really understand why.

Separate but related: why don't you see many teams running Mike Martz concepts as their core offense anymore? Because it gets your QB killed. It's in no team's long-term interest to get its QB killed, although there are still a couple holdouts (Seattle, Indy) that seem not to have got the memo.

Last edited:
I agree 100 percent I hate Suggs and Burfict but they would of destroyed the QB.

patfanken mentioned emphatically it in the game thread, and I'll enthusiastically co-sign on it: when opposing offenses run gimmicky ******** that exposes the QB, you have to punish them by absolutely drilling the QB every legal chance you get. The moment Smith gets buried a couple times by 250+ pound linemen, you'll see that whole section of their playbook retired.

I thought this was the lesson that the league took away from RG3 and Tyrod Taylor. The team will stop running the plays they're most effective on so much if there's a credible threat that you'll break them in half. It's even why Carolina is trying to turn Newton into a pocket passer, when he's at his best by far outside the pocket. But sometimes teams try it and get away with it and I don't really understand why.

Separate but related: why don't you see many teams running Mike Martz concepts as their core offense anymore? Because it gets your QB killed. It's in no team's long-term interest to get its QB killed, although there are still a couple holdouts (Seattle, Indy) that seem not to have got the memo.

HT could have decapitated Smith on the last play in the FO link if he wanted to.

From the opening paragraph (by Charles McDonald, btw) ...

" ... the Wildcat formation in 2008 was more of a trend than a solidified, core piece of offensive philosophy. This was mainly because you can't run an offense in the NFL with a non-quarterback as your primary ball-handler (despite what the Jacksonville Jaguars may think)."

Pretty decent film breakdown, actually.

FO really believes that the crap KC pulled is an "evolution" instead of a "trend,"
as per their own definitions?

Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes