PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL may have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
We earned the loss, and this doesn't constitute a "problem" for the NYFL, so much as a given. Teams will worry more, or less, about being penalized. That's a given.

Now when it's the Patriots doing any of that, that's a problem. Hence the 2004 "point of emphasis."

Yes. That was terrible.

In general, I thought that the refs were not really in mid-season form in having the game clearly and confidently under control. Witness the fact that we didn't get a clear call and explanation on the one-guy-calls-a-fair-catch-another-guy-advances-the-ball play. (Michaels also appeared to be out of it.)

But the Patriots were lousy in pretty much every area (McDaniels' play-calling excepted) and the Chiefs played really, really well. Congratulations to them.

McDaniels called an alright game, but I wasn't happy with going to the well three times on the reverse.

McDaniels called an alright game, but I wasn't happy with going to the well three times on the reverse.
I'm not sure how it was an alright game in terms of play calling. The 2 runs up the middle on 4th and inches into a KC defense that sold out to stop a run up the middle were pretty weak play calls. They also really failed to get their running backs involved in the passing game.

We won at least one Super Bowl on the back of this strategy, and yeah that was 15+ years ago now but even still I'd feel like an outrageous hypocrite if I started complaining much. It's a well-established strategy and we need to do a better job of beating it.
Why? what does what the Pats did 15 years ago matter today? KC was holding all over the field, and not just on receivers. The KC touchdown where the TE just drove the Pats DB 5 yards into the end zone, extended his arm to clear out some space, then turned around and caught a TD in the first half was ridiculous. It's ridiculous mostly because Gronk gets called for far less all the time. So yes, the refs could and probably should have called a lot more on KC, but on the other hand, in the end, this did not cost the Pats the game. The Pats own this loss, not the refs

LOL This 0 to do with the refs. Please stop that nonsense.

KC stuck to their game plan faithfully.

They rushed 3, Doubled underneath and select outside #'s/red zone.

This took away any quick read Brady had.

The timing was off. The game plan wasn't something we've been "familiar" with in years past. And KC played very well.

On to NO

No excuses, Gronk got dominated by Berry so started whining for flags, beat man coverage and stop complaining.

If the refs aren't calling it give him a little push back.

Berry has zero chance of ever dominating Gronk. He was cheating. And Gronk looked off anyway. He looked slow and when they cut to him on the sidelines he looked a little sick.

LOL This 0 to do with the refs. Please stop that nonsense.

KC stuck to their game plan faithfully.

They rushed 3, Doubled underneath and select outside #'s/red zone.

This took away any quick read Brady had.

The timing was off. The game plan wasn't something we've been "familiar" with in years past. And KC played very well.

On to NO

And the cheated by holding the **** out of the Patriots. Not making excuses. It's just a fact.

The thing that frustrated me the most last night (push aside the coaching and the collapse) was there appears to be one rule for Gronk and one rule for everyone else. I like tough, dominating D but there's a fine line between playing tight D and clearly mugging a guy after the snap.

Gronk has been made a target by the league office for some reason

They called him for OPI last year more times than any single team had called on them all year

Defenders can pretty much get away with whatever they want with Gronk because of his size, when they grab an arm and pull he's so big that it doesn't really change his trajectory or route much but I'm sure it does impact his ability to make the play somewhat

On the other end of the spectrum you have Cooks, who even with the lightest grab will have his whole body jerk, or will very noticeably change direction or slow down from the contact because he doesn't have the mass that Gronk has

I would try to incorporate the old Flacco special with Cooks... but I don't think there is anything we can do about Gronk... the league refuses to call PI on him because of his strength and size, and if he tries to get physical back with the defender they won't hesitate to call him for OPI.. I swear it's a directive that came from the league office... They told all the refs to emphasize more OPI and probably played 50 videos of Gronk to turn them into flag throwing Manchurian candidates when it comes to Gronk/Pats

Last edited:
No excuses, Gronk got dominated by Berry so started whining for flags, beat man coverage and stop complaining.

If the refs aren't calling it give him a little push back.

Gronk could body slam these clowns, the problem is if he gets physical and starts pushing back the refs will OPI him all game long

That's not even close to the reason we lost, but it's something that could impact us later on (remember 2015 Broncos regular season against Osweiler).

The good news is that the vast majority of teams don't have an All-Pro free safety like Eric Berry on defense who can lock Gronk down and get physical

I was thinking the same thing.........count me as one of the rare people that actually likes refs that allow defenses to, well, 'play defense'. Honestly I thought even some of the calls that they did make against the Chiefs were somewhat ticky tacky....but that's fine....there are going to be some bad calls/non calls. I actually liked that they let them play.

I love when they "let them play" as well. so long as they're calling the game the same way for both sides

The officiating was meh last night but doesn't even scratch the top 10 for reasons why they lost

Going forward tho, I'll be curious to see how the league treats Gronk. In 2015 it was a &$@*ing joke all the OPI they called on him and what they let defenders get away with doing to him

Berry has zero chance of ever dominating Gronk. He was cheating. And Gronk looked off anyway. He looked slow and when they cut to him on the sidelines he looked a little sick.

They should cut him and get a real tight end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back