PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Gronk may retire if he doesn’t get a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk don't let the door hit ya where the Dog Shoulda bitt ya. :rolleyes: I wont miss him or Gronk Inc good riddens.

Florio is just another "bait and switch guy", so what he say is often only conjecture (lies to most of us).

Consider:
2012 he played 11 games
2013 played 7 games
2014 & 2015 he played 15 games each year
2016 played 8 games
2017 played 14 games
2018 played 7 out of 10 games...

According to the NFL PA the average shelf life of an NFL player is 3.3 years, have to wonder if the ship has sailed for Gronk...

We all know Gronk wasn't going to have a very long career because of unfortunate injuries. Gronk would be foolish to think otherwise..

He might be a broken clock but he is plugged in with Gronk Inc. the same way La Canfora is connected when it comes to the Steelers. Definitely would not dismiss this report just because of who posted it.

We know that Gronk negotiates his desire for bigger money through the media.

We also saw him yukking it up on the sideline in Tennessee right in the middle of the Pats getting their rear ends kicked. My first thought was that Dallas Cowboy player who Tom Landry booted off the team for his sideline shenanigans during a Dallas loss.

This is no time for this contract crap and should have been addressed with a sit down after the season. I still would not pay him the money. Young mans game and a business. Youre paid for what you can deliver going forward and not what you did in the past.

Same way in Gronks new job in the movie business. Hollywood wont invest millions on a Gronk movie if he cannot put asses in the seats.

Bye, Gronk. I love what you've brought the Pats...but you're in no real position to dictate big bucks when you're constantly injured.

Last edited:
They just restructured his deal to give him some incentives he could reach this year that were easy to reach if he were healthy. Instead he’s going to miss out on those incentives because of more injuries, one of which is that lingering back issue that seems to come up every year and one that has had him go under the knife 3 times for already

When you can’t hit simple incentives they gave you because of injury, that isn’t a great time to then try and demand a new contract. I’m hoping Florio is full of s*** on this one, because that would be pretty lame of Gronk to start using the media to negotiate a new contract after all the offseason drama, especially while he’s walking wounded and has been mediocre this year in terms of production... and especially right after they just got their teeth kicked in by the lowly Titans

I think Gronk does retire this year. He's injured to much and this years seems..out of it. I don't know if he gets a new contract. Draft a TE high please Pats..along with every D position

Bill trying to trade Gronk before the draft is making more sense as the season goes on.

I cannot see Gronk getting a new contract personally numerous reasons the biggest one for me is his lack of playing time. Gronk cannot guarantee 12 healthy games a season.

If I’m giving him a new contract it will have a decent signing bonus but it will be heavily incentive based for the rest of it.

Kraft should let Bill run the team and not get in the way. Even if that means letting Brady go at some point.

Fine with me

I love Gronk, but he looked slow when he played, and that's been infrequent. I'll miss his what he used to bring to the team

I think that we forget that Gronk is under contract. The team will be under no pressure to waive him until they decide that they need the cap money for someone else.

I don't think Gronk will insist on more than the current contract of $9M and $2M of roster and workout incentives. The MOVE is up to the patriots. I also would not expect Gronk to take a pay cut if offered. The team would have to waive him. The choices would then be Gronk's: look elsewhere and/or retire.

I think that we forget that Gronk is under contract. The team will be under no pressure to waive him until they decide that they need the cap money for someone else.

I don't think Gronk will insist on more than the current contract of $9M and $2M of roster and workout incentives. The MOVE is up to the patriots. I also would not expect Gronk to take a pay cut if offered. The team would have to waive him. The choices would then be Gronk's: look elsewhere and/or retire.
Hard to fathom that Gronk and the Pats have not already covered the ground a new contract.

Fair guess is that Gronk wants too much.

Hard to fathom that Gronk and the Pats have not already covered the ground a new contract.

Fair guess is that Gronk wants too much.
Agree. I'm certain they did. Rosenhaus knows what he is doing. He wanted one more payday.

Its clear to me the $3m in incentives was a bone thrown in Gronk's direction in lieu of a contract extension.

The patriots MIGHT allow Gronk to play out his contract in 2019.

Risky gamble there, mg. Knowing the frugality of BB, probably not likely.

No surprise here, but if Gronk is talking (instead of a bunch of pundits speculating), I wish he'd focus on getting healthy for this year and then everybody can see where they're at, so to speak.

I agree.
Durability is part of the TE position...
Nobody did it better for longer than Tony Gonzalez.
Gonzalez, Witten, and Gates are three recent ones that come to mind. I don’t know if there’s a clear cut case of Gronk beating out any of those guys, let alone all theee of them.

I think he could be the greatest, but he’d need to play at a very high level for at least another few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back